• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Team Group Xtreem ARGB 2x8GB DDR4-4000 CL18 - TF10D416G4000HC18JDC01

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
Today I will make a short presentation of the latest Team Group memory kit - Xtreem ARGB. The tested memory kit was purchased in a local store just because I found it interesting and the price was quite low, around ~$120 (inc. local tax and shipping). Somehow, the price went up by 20% just after purchase so hard to say how it will look in some time or in different countries.

The memory is based on Hynix DJR so about the same as most new memory kits at DDR4-4000 or above. This IC has the potential to run at DDR4-5000+ but it's never guaranteed.
I can't show you a screenshot from Thaiphoon Burner as on my Z490 motherboards it can't find SPD settings and stops at error. Every other source is confirming the DJR IC series, including multiple motherboard manufacturer QVL. It also works at timing and voltage ranges of previously tested Hynix DJR memory kits.

Going back to the memory kit itself, it works fine at XMP settings on X570 and Z490 motherboards, but as you will see later, it is not the best option for those who like overclocking.
In my feeling is that Team Group went the easiest way giving us IC that runs easily at higher frequency (and maybe is quite cheap as it's flooding the market right now) and put nice glowing heatsinks so the product looks well but can't offer much better performance than XMP settings so DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22.

I don't have much time on tests right now and sadly, this memory is not worth spending more time on it so I will show some overclocking results which were stable during tests that took two evenings.

txargb4000_pht1.jpg

txargb4000_pht2.jpg

txargb4000_pht3.jpg

Last edited:
3600 16-20-20 1.35V - couldn't run tighter up to 1.45V

4000 18-22-22 1.35V - XMP but up to 1.45V couldn't run any tighter

4200 18-24-24 1.35V - up to 1.50V couldn't run any tighter

4400 18-25-25 1.40V - up to 1.55V couldn't run any tighter

4600 19-26-26 1.55V

Max boot DDR4-4700 but is randomly crashing even in AIDA64.

Looks like every Xtreem ARGB kit at 4000 or above is using the same Hynix IC (can check various QVL where they're listed) but some of these kits will be just close to its maximum potential.

Similar results were also on ASUS Crosshair VIII Impact on which V-Color memory (it's on my list) based also on Hynix IC, could make 4800 CL18 or 5000 CL20 so as you see, can make it cheaper and better.

This is maybe my luck to Team Group memory kits but pretty much every their DDR4 kit that I was testing, had problems with overclocking or was nearly at the edge of stability at XMP settings. Some readers can wonder why I'm not really happy about these results, even though I could set DDR4-4600 out of DDR4-4000 memory. It's because there are cheaper memory kits that can do the same, at lower voltages or tighter timings. Between 3600 and 4266 I can even find multiple 2x16GB or 2x32GB memory kits that can run at tighter timings.

The RGB lighting is not really helping as it's not bright enough to look good if we are using other lighting sources. For example on ASUS or ASRock motherboards, synchronization works well but every other lighting is simply significantly brighter what spoils the effect with a darker spot in the RAM area. Yellow/green on the photo is about as bright as it can be.

Last edited:
3600 16-20-20 1.35V - couldn't run tighter up to 1.45V

4000 18-22-22 1.35V - XMP but up to 1.45V couldn't run any tighter

4200 18-24-24 1.35V - up to 1.50V couldn't run any tighter

4400 18-25-25 1.40V - up to 1.55V couldn't run any tighter

4600 19-26-26 1.55V

Max boot DDR4-4700 but is randomly crashing even in AIDA64.

Looks like every Xtreem ARGB kit at 4000 or above is using the same Hynix IC (can check various QVL where they're listed) but some of these kits will be just close to its maximum potential.

Similar results were also on ASUS Crosshair VIII Impact on which V-Color memory (it's on my list) based also on Hynix IC, could make 4800 CL18 or 5000 CL20 so as you see, can make it cheaper and better.

This is maybe my luck to Team Group memory kits but pretty much every their DDR4 kit that I was testing, had problems with overclocking or was nearly at the edge of stability at XMP settings. Some readers can wonder why I'm not really happy about these results, even though I could set DDR4-4600 out of DDR4-4000 memory. It's because there are cheaper memory kits that can do the same, at lower voltages or tighter timings. Between 3600 and 4266 I can even find multiple 2x16GB or 2x32GB memory kits that can run at tighter timings.

The RGB lighting is not really helping as it's not bright enough to look good if we are using other lighting sources. For example on ASUS or ASRock motherboards, synchronization works well but every other lighting is simply significantly brighter what spoils the effect with a darker spot in the RAM area. Yellow/green on the photo is about as bright as it can be.

Hey guy, i like toooo much your post. I bough the same Rams and i have problems with the same motherboard, the Asus Hero Crosshair VIII i cant get the Rams above of 3200 Mhz, tested cl 22 for 3600 Mhz and I cant get higer, always it doest boot.
Sorry for my english, and i tried to see the atached photos and they are erased :(

Thank you men, greetings.

Weird but for some reason screenshots disappeared and they're not in the pics database. I don't know if I find them so for now you have to trust that this memory works at settings from the 2nd post.

If there are problems to even run this memory at more than 3200 then it's hard to recommend anything.
Check if memory is installed in the 2nd and 4th memory slots (counting from CPU side).
Reset BIOS (can be a jumper, button, or simply load defaults directly from BIOS), set XMP, and check if it works... if not then clear BIOS again, set manual mode and manual DDR4-3600 CL18-20-20 1.40V and check if it works. If you make it boot then tighten the timings and/or lower the voltage.

I had no problems with XMP on 3-4 motherboards but this memory was not overclocking well past ~4400 and it's the only "problem".

Weird but for some reason screenshots disappeared and they're not in the pics database. I don't know if I find them so for now you have to trust that this memory works at settings from the 2nd post.

If there are problems to even run this memory at more than 3200 then it's hard to recommend anything.
Check if memory is installed in the 2nd and 4th memory slots (counting from CPU side).
Reset BIOS (can be a jumper, button, or simply load defaults directly from BIOS), set XMP, and check if it works... if not then clear BIOS again, set manual mode and manual DDR4-3600 CL18-20-20 1.40V and check if it works. If you make it boot then tighten the timings and/or lower the voltage.

I had no problems with XMP on 3-4 motherboards but this memory was not overclocking well past ~4400 and it's the only "problem".

I have placed the rams in slots 2-4 and now the XMP profile works.
I didn't think that could be the problem.
Now i can test lower lantencies and try to put them with 3733 Mhz for the infinity fabric.

I got It :)

https://prnt.sc/tu3e3h

From 3200 cl 16, to 3733 mhz cl 14
Finallyyyyy

The RAM installation is described in the manual but well, who reads that ;)
I'm glad you figured it out. I'm not sure if this RAM will work fully stable at 3733 CL14 but it looks good. Maybe you had some more luck to memory chips as my kit required much higher voltages for any OC or timing drop.

Back