• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New custom build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steed13

hi folks.
just starting my first build for overclocking.
i plan on using the computer for file storage and using as a cloud server type thing and possibly gaming if i ever get into that again.

ok so i want to build a lga 1150 computer core i7.
im considering an msi z97 mobo
maybe the krait edition or another model

not sure what z97 mobo is ths best, i want msi because of its overclocking friendly bios.

i dont know what ram to get and do not plan on overclocking the ram because its pretty pointless.

i bought a OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W powersupply which is modular so i am pretty happy about that.
and a TP-Link TL-WN722N wifi incase i run linux along side windows 7 or 10

i bought a copy of windows 7 but am not sure if i should upgrade a hard drive to windows 10 and save it for the future.

what do you guys think of windows 10?
ive tried it a little and wasnt amazed..

im thinking about running linux so the TP-Link TL-WN722N wifi adapter is a sure bet for getting connected without LAN.

i have several hard drives and am planning on hooking them all up to the computer.

i bought a rosewill blackbone case; its a decent case for around 45$.

i probably should buy a sever case and server components but i just dont want to lose the power and desktop capabilities.

probably will end up installing grub and running win7 win10 and ubuntu server with kubuntu desktop (yes i know gui takes away from the point of a server but i would like it for admin purposes).

i am not sure what ram to run with a z97 mobo i will probably want 16gb or ram.

i bought a processor on ebay for dirt cheap but i was refunded by the seller (they probably misplaced a decimal) so now i am not sure what processor to run but its going to have to be an lga1150 for the z97mobo.

all and all im hoping to overclock and run smoothly, nothing too extreme. i have overclocked a emachine by 30% with good stability without adding aftermarket or extra cooling so i know overclocking by 20% with this type of setup is achievable, and with extra cooling i should have no problem.

any tips or advice or input would be great!:salute:

hi folks.
i plan on using the computer for file storage anAd using as a cloud server type thing and possibly gaming if i ever get into that again.

Almost any old piece of junk computer will suffice for these tasks. But it's the gaming part that will demand more potent hardware. How serious a gamer are you? What kind of games do you play? In i5-660k will address both needs very well. For serious gaming you want to focus on getting a good video card like at least the Nvidia GTX 970. You will want at least 8gb of RAM. For overclocking get a good aftermarket cooler that will fit in your case.

ok so i want to build a lga 1150 computer core i7.
im considering an msi z97 mobo
maybe the krait edition or another model

not sure what z97 mobo is ths best, i want msi because of its overclocking friendly bios.

i dont know what ram to get and do not plan on overclocking the ram because its pretty pointless.

i bought a OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W powersupply which is modular so i am pretty happy about that.
and a TP-Link TL-WN722N wifi incase i run linux along side windows 7 or 10

i bought a copy of windows 7 but am not sure if i should upgrade a hard drive to windows 10 and save it for the future.

what do you guys think of windows 10?
ive tried it a little and wasnt amazed..

im thinking about running linux so the TP-Link TL-WN722N wifi adapter is a sure bet for getting connected without LAN.

i have several hard drives and am planning on hooking them all up to the computer.

i bought a rosewill blackbone case; its a decent case for around 45$.

i probably should buy a sever case and server components but i just dont want to lose the power and desktop capabilities.

probably will end up installing grub and running win7 win10 and ubuntu server with kubuntu desktop (yes i know gui takes away from the point of a server but i would like it for admin purposes).

i am not sure what ram to run with a z97 mobo i will probably want 16gb or ram.

i bought a processor on ebay for dirt cheap but i was refunded by the seller (they probably misplaced a decimal) so now i am not sure what processor to run but its going to have to be an lga1150 for the z97mobo.

all and all im hoping to overclock and run smoothly, nothing too extreme. i have overclocked a emachine by 30% with good stability without adding aftermarket or extra cooling so i know overclocking by 20% with this type of setup is achievable, and with extra cooling i should have no problem.

any tips or advice or input would be great!:salute:

Back