• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New ESX Server Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trey_w

All components for my new build finally arrived.

Hoping to start building it later today after I get the Turkey on the Smoker.

IMG_3948.JPG

Is this going to be used for pleasure or business?

Looks like a fair amount of $$ represented in that pile of components.

Finally got everything done and up and running.

Ended up ordering an intel Quad NIC and 2 Samsung 970 NMVe M.2 2TB SSD drives which should be here Monday to finish it off.

This thing is super quiet

IMG_3952.JPG IMG_3955.JPG IMG_3958.JPG

Nice looking rig! You contemplating a raid 0 for the M.2 drives for a boot volume? If so use the AMD drivers for best performance. Visit AMD support for the latest drivers as ASUS does not keep up.

Got the Intel NIC and M.2 cards installed. Haven’t decided how I’m going use them just yet.

Nice looking rig! You contemplating a raid 0 for the M.2 drives for a boot volume? If so use the AMD drivers for best performance. Visit AMD support for the latest drivers as ASUS does not keep up.

I don't see why anyone would RAID0 anything for a server build. In almost all circumstances data is important so a RAID1/mirror setup at minimum would be recommended. That and unless they plan to power down the server constantly the boot times are fairly inconsequential.

I don't see why anyone would RAID0 anything for a server build. In almost all circumstances data is important so a RAID1/mirror setup at minimum would be recommended. That and unless they plan to power down the server constantly the boot times are fairly inconsequential.

I agree but all depends on full setup and what someone cares about. In general you are correct, RAID 0 becomes single point of failure

All my snapshots go to my QNAP which runs RAID 10. I configure my VM’s to use a drive from the QNAP over ISCSI for user data.

VM's run inherently slow in most cases thus installing them on a fast raid improves performance. Raid 0 not having fault tolerance is a non consequence in running a VM. If it fails just rebuild it. VM's are rarely mission critical platforms and backups are always recommended in any scenario.

So raid 0 has it's purposes when it comes to performance. The OP here clearly has a great understanding of the use of such and as he states user data run in VM's are directed to an NAS using raid 10 is a great choice and a perfectly logical performance minded approach.

Back