• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New EVGA warranty and step up rules...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
Extending the warranty is way up and now you can can only step up to certain cards depending on your current card. :(

Means I probably won't be stepping into a 3090.

https://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

Cost for extending warranty used to be from $30-40???. And they no longer offer a 10 year plan.

I'm going to miss the step up program for me to get a 3090, but I'm really going to miss the cost of extending the warranty.

I have not initiated the step up. I wanted to wait a little bit since I spent so much in December.

Let me rephrase...

Since you bought the card prior to 1/6 when they changed it, don't you still have access to the old program and those cards including a 3090?

I thought this program was updated 1/6/2022+ and forward.

If you were already in the Step-Up queue prior to the new Step-Up rules going into effect, then nothing will change.

I was not in the queue yet. Now when I check the 3090 is no longer an option.

I can step up my 3080Ti. But, I would not be able to get a watercooled 3090 back. And I would have to pay the higher warranty cost.

While the Step Up makes EVGA very attractive to me the additional warranty was a driving factor with my confidence in EVGA. I do not need a 10 year warranty. Bumping the warranty from 3 years to 5 years is optimal. Too bad that the cost now hurts my wallet a little more.

My plan:

3060 into a 3080Ti air cooled

3080Ti Hybrid into a 3090.

I was not in the queue yet.
Ahh..I thought you were considering you bought well before the announcement. ;)

Can you qualify for an upgrade from an upgrade? I thought it was just one shot deal?
EDIT: I see, you bought a 3080Ti hybrid and moving to a 3090... let me get that 2nd cup of caffeine..........

Anyway, 10 years with a gpu is ridiculous. Consider playing games (or F@H) today on a GTX680... 10xyears is too much. 5 seems about right anyway.

Last edited:
I forget how the step up works...I know I can upgrade a 3070 Ti , but how long do you have to do it? How long does it take for EVGA to upgrade it to say a 3080 Ti?

I'm not sure, exactly, how the step up works as far as time. I vaguely recall some 90 day thing from purchase? I'd imagine you'd find this here.
(as I found and clicked on the link, it says 90 days in the biggest font ever, I noticed, lolol!)

As for how long it takes evga to provide a(any) card, I imagine that varies by model.

EDIT: From that link.....................

WHAT IS THE 90-DAY WINDOW?​

The 90 Day Window begins from the date of purchase and is your chance to register your product, submit a request to Step-Up to a brand new product, and make any changes to your chosen Step-Up product within those 90 Days. The 90 Day Window does not guarantee that you will receive your Step-Up within 90 Days; in fact, many new product launches may have an estimated wait time of several months.

I think this change was my doing. Says the guy who stepped up from a 710 to a 3080. LOL

Unfortunately you cannot step up a step up.

I didn't enter the queue for the 3090 because they are fulfilling those quickly and I didn't want to drain my wallet again. Also, the 3090Ti rumors had me looking to wait and see.

I think this change was my doing. Says the guy who stepped up from a 710 to a 3080. LOL

Unfortunately you cannot step up a step up.

I didn't enter the queue for the 3090 because they are fulfilling those quickly and I didn't want to drain my wallet again. Also, the 3090Ti rumors had me looking to wait and see.
LOL

Do you have to send your GPU in and wait for a new one? Or do they notify you that the new one is ready and then you send your current GPU in?

:rofl:

That would suck!

(they notify, then you send your original card in - looking at the link(s) above that detail the program it says it could be MONTHS to get a new card so... sending yours in when it isn't ready seems like a pretty bad idea)

I mean, I'd tell stompah to send his $100 potato arse GT 710 in immediately and wait for a 3090, but otherwise................:rofl: :p

I did not pay $100 for a potato. $50.

I kept it in the box for several months and then put it in a system. A week or so after that I had received my step up notice and sent it in. A week or so later I got a 3080 back.

Had I known that the demand would be stripping supply for this long I would have bought a dozen 710s.

I did not pay $100 for a potato. $50.

I kept it in the box for several months and then put it in a system. A week or so after that I had received my step up notice and sent it in. A week or so later I got a 3080 back.

Had I known that the demand would be stripping supply for this long I would have bought a dozen 710s.

That is most impressive.

Back