• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Fans for my Rads

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PaXe

Registered
Hey Guys :)
I'm currently looking to buy new fans for my radiators.

And I found these https://gzhls.at/blob/ldb/0/7/6/8/2632895416bce4ae10c5aabf2c0846ffaf1f.pdf
And I honestly can't see why I wouldn't go with these and not with corsair sp quiet or something.
Am I missing some major point here or are they just that much better?

Note: The only moving parts in this PC are the fans so I'd like for them to be as quiet as possible.

In case anyone has some experience with fans that they would say fit perfectly for me feel free to suggest them to me :p

I need:
3x120 fans that arent visible (quiet / can be hella ugly ^^)
3x140 that are visible(quiet / good looking and possibly rgb)

for the 140s I've been thinking about corsair ll140s but I have no clue about how loud 25dB is and they don't have the best static preassure as well ^^

The system as it is:
GTX 1080Ti (will get overclocked as well)
i7-8700k @5GHz
420 30mm rad
360 45mm rad´
be!Quiet Dark base pro 900 (so not the best with airflow)

I need a bit of advice on which fans to choose :D

Last edited:
When you say visible do you mean in terms of noise or like clear fans? For 120mm fans I still like the old Typhoons so you might check them out. You can still get them here.

25db will be near silent if not totally.

All Corsair fans I've used have been loud for their airflow but my usage has been limited so I can't speak definitely on them.

My experience with fans these days is that they nearly all have decent and quiet bearings in them and so the noise you hear will be the sound of the air moving.

I have just purchased some Akasa Vegas 7 (I think they’re called that) and they are whisper quiet with rgb and have the added bonus of being able to plug directly into the motherboard.

Like I said they are whisper quiet but the downside is they don’t move as much air as the Corsair ones. There are a few vids on YouTube demonstrating this. Basically I took the trade off of quietness over air flow. That is why I have a triple radiator cooling just my cpu so I can run everything as quiet as possible.

Long story short, if you want quiet fans choose whatever you want and run them slow, they will probably be very quiet but move less air

And I do recommend the akasa fans

In all honesty for radiators you want high static pressure fans. Everything else needs to be secondary. If you want quiet you need to get radiators with a lower fin density. If you have a high fin density then you will need to run the fans at a higher speed and this will amount to more noise, regardless of what the fan specs say. Those specs are based on an open air test bench.

My rig is set-up with the fans at low speed and the fans ramp up as the temps climb with added load. This gives me the quiet I desire while web surfing or other light tasks. Once a heavy load is applied the fans will ramp up to a full 100% if necessary to keep everything cool. Remember cooling is it's primary function and you need to allow it to do it's job.

Just my 2¢.

Blaylock has it right. First we need to know your rads. Thickness and fin density. Then we can move forward. Your heatload is okay, and you have tons of raddage, so you don't need much in fans, and can run them very low speed (900ish which in my book is silent).

Ohh, you run case air filters?

In all honesty for radiators you want high static pressure fans. Everything else needs to be secondary. If you want quiet you need to get radiators with a lower fin density. If you have a high fin density then you will need to run the fans at a higher speed and this will amount to more noise, regardless of what the fan specs say. Those specs are based on an open air test bench.

My rig is set-up with the fans at low speed and the fans ramp up as the temps climb with added load. This gives me the quiet I desire while web surfing or other light tasks. Once a heavy load is applied the fans will ramp up to a full 100% if necessary to keep everything cool. Remember cooling is it's primary function and you need to allow it to do it's job.

Just my 2¢.

+1

Speed and DBa level are not everything either , the Tone or whirl the fans makes is highly subjective many ppl love Noctua's.
Gentle Typhons are also a very recommended fan .
are you looking for 3 or 4 pin fans ?
Will you be using a Hub or a Fan controler ? because im guessing your Mb doesn't have 8-10 fan headers .

I'd also recommend the GT's. I personally would love to get my hands on the PWN GTs. If I only had deep pockets to replace 9 rad fans. :D

Sorry for the wait..
My rads are:
1x Alphacool Nexxos 420x30mm
1x Aplhacool Eisbrecher XT45 360x45mm

I'd love to give you more details on that but unfortunately the alphacool site seems to be down atm..
I'll update as soon as I can.

Blaylock has it right. First we need to know your rads. Thickness and fin density.

Ohh, you run case air filters?
1) I'll update the radiator info as soon as I can.
2) No. No case filters. However the dark base pro 900 has very restricted intake.

+1
are you looking for 3 or 4 pin fans ?
Will you be using a Hub or a Fan controler ? because im guessing your Mb doesn't have 8-10 fan headers .
1) I'd like pwm fans but they don't have to be.
2) I'm not quite sure yet. My Mainboard has 4 PWM headers. I was thinking that I might be ablte to run them in pairs with Y-Cables(Not sure how this works with the Voltage). So 2 pairs of 3fans for each rad and one extra for the back.

I like the Corsair ML fans for plain fans, they offer 130 m³/h at around 4 mmH2O iirc, they are inaudible untill 60-65% (to me atleast) and have fairly linear curve, they come reasonably priced at €25 for a 2 pack black/grey colour.
For RGB you could ofcourse look at Corsair aswell with their command prompt unit for RGB and fan extender, however I have no experience with this. The new LL RGB fans are supposed to be radiator compatible. For the other option it depends what motherboard you have and look for compatible RGB fans with you mobo and daisy chain them on its RGB header if your mobo has one. Otherwise I would advice Corsair with ML and LL fans, these are expensive though.
I currently have NZXT but I ain't very happy with it the cam software, it's to bad I only have 1 RGB header on my mobo otherwise I would aura sync everything.

I'm not quite sure yet. My Mainboard has 4 PWM headers. I was thinking that I might be ablte to run them in pairs with Y-Cables(Not sure how this works with the Voltage). So 2 pairs of 3fans for each rad and one extra for the back.

Most fan headers can handle 2 fans max due to high amps required to start them. I have 1 H_AMP header which supports more watts per channel. Check your manual to be sure!

Last edited:
Back