• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New future build opinions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh057

Its been little over two years now since I built my first PC. All that I had planed for it was little bit of gaming. Over the coarse of those two years I have learned a great deal more and expect a whole lot more out of my machine (It just doesnt preform any more). I am tried of slowly replacing parts. With my new build Im looking to push my PC to the limits, Ive become a power user. I will be salvaging a few items out of my current machine for the new one.

Old Build
Case: Thermaltake Blackwidow something doesnt have much venting
MB: Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
CPU: AMD Phenom II x3 720
RAM: 4GB (2 2GB sticks)
GPU: XFX HD-687A-ZNFC Radeon HD 6870
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 RX 85
HHD: WD 2TB drive

New build
Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I Full Tower Gaming Case
MB: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z
CPU: AMD FX-8350
RAM: Patriot Viper 3 16GB
GPU1: XFX HD-687A-ZNFC Radeon HD 6870
GPU2: XFX HD-687A-ZHFC Radeon HD 6870
PSU: TR2 RX 850
HHD: Not totally sure yet

Last edited:
a friend of mine has that case, he likes it but doesnt like it. He wishs he got the Haf 932 or Haf X case. it's a nice case, but there are better cases out there.

Are you going to be doing Major Over clocking, I did a build with that mobo and although it is a sweet mobo, it's so over kill. The rog connect, and other features 99% of ppl/gamers out there will not use. I like the ASrock 990fx extreem4 thats $145, could put that $100 to a better vid upgrade, or get rid of the TT TR2 RX 850 PSU, the TR2 series of PSU got horrible ratings and line noise. I had the TR2 Rx 750, and got rid of it. I was getting random lock ups, even tho I passed prime 95 on a 12hr stress test, it turn out to be ripple noise from the PSU, I put a 850 corsair in and the random lock ups went away.

Other then that, it's a great build. The asus board is a sweet board, but if your not gona do Super cold cooling like LN2 or what ever, i think it's over kill for most users. and the ASrock is x16x16x8 so in crossfire u will still have x16 x16.

as for Hard drives, Do get yourself a 120 or 240 gig SSD, the Hyper X , hyper x 3k are good drives, so are intel 520, Crucial m4, corsair force 3 or force 3 gt and vertex 4. SSD have really come down in price and are the BIGGEST performance upgrade you can do. Windows loads up so fast I can not even finish the swirl of the win 7 loading logo.

Knufire - Both, I am looking at possible eyefinity too. IF i do that then I will be gaming + some of the other task that I do.

Ajay57 - I hate intel, Ive had so many problems with them I will never use them again.

Metlcub - Prob not at the start but as I get more comfortable with it I will on CPU/GPU/RAM
As for case, I wasnt looking to spend a ton on case for what i was looking for. Looking for the cable mangment panel, potential for lots of airflow because I plan on getting an aftermarket heatsink/fan not ready for water cooling just yet.

OK So you do not like Intel, but the case and the PSU would make a good start towards your new build!

Its Quite the same system as mine. As for installing the fx8350 into this motherboard you won't have to update your bios at first hand, however the best thing to do is to update it anyway for optimizations. I'm actually fresh on the build now, so I've to reinstall both of my OS's. As for installing an SSD into this case, you should have to buy ssd brackets.

Back