• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New FX 6300 build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bings

Hi all, new here:) FX6300 with a coolermaster 12 evo, ASUS M5A78L-MUSB3,16gb ram, old GeForce GT520, Windows7 64bit.

OK built this for HD edit/ encoding' not the best i know' but was on a budget.
When encoding with dvdfab or such like all six cores are used but not 100% go up and down between 70 and 35% is this normal? I want it to be fast and leave it to do its thing not multi task. I went in bios turned off turbo power/cool and quiet and overclocked it to 4.1 just with the multiplier!! not made much difference. The file it's encoding from is on another hdd via usb2 could this be the problem?

Thanks

At first glance judging from the board you're using I would say it's throttling the CPU. The ASUS M5A78L-MUSB3 just isn't made to run a CPU like the FX6300. You can try disabling the APM and enable HPC if that's available in your bios but bear in mind the board might just pop one of these times.

They're bios settings you should be able to find them in the advanced/CPU settings section if you have them you can check the manual I may be off on the location. You have a 4 phase mobo with no heatsinks on the power section. At minimum you should have a 6 phase for that CPU.

Just my luck!! ok thanks anyway will have to stick with it as it is then. I have just put the cpu back to auto in bios.

Hopefully it'll work for you like that I didn't realize you had an OC on it.

no I tried it with and without overclock on and it doesn't make no difference. I have ran prime 95 and all cores run on 100% with no issues.

I just reread your original post and yes the usb drive is probably the issue. The cpu isn't getting enough info for a full load. The only way to test it would be to rip a movie to your HD and then recode it. I've used DVDFab it'll load everything right up when running right.

Back