• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New guy looking for some advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rand0m_task

I'm hoping to get some advice on painting my PC case. I have a Thermaltake Core x71 that I'd like to paint white. The case is made from SPCC and my initial plan was to:
1. Sand the case down to the bare metal
2. Apply self etching primer
3. Paint with Rustoleum white enamel

I'd like to avoid sanding it all down if possible, and just go with a Rust-Oleum paint that has the primer already mixed in. Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

I have done this many times and the best results always come from extra preparation and patience.

1. make sure the case is completely clean. I like to use rubbing alcohol to wipe everything spotless. A little dust can make a large imperfection.
2. You can use a primer/paint combo like Rust-oleum or Plasti-dip but keep in mind that the areas that get used a lot can, and most likely will, cause the paint to eventually peel, like panel screw areas, PCIe covers, etc. For the best results sanding is recommended.
3. Do not apply to much paint at one time. It's much much better to do several light coats than one thick coat. The results will look more professional, there will be no streaking, and the parts will just fit together better.

Good luck and please post pics of the process and the results!

Do the sanding. It is necessary to remove the upper layer be it of paint or plating.
Make sure you use a dust removing solution to remove the dust and other things.
Ensure that no air bubbles are formed in the coating while painting.
You should use a primer first and then paint.

Back