• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New High end Graphics machine Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flashjordan

Hi,
I need some help as I am looking to upgrade my system.

Currently I have i7 980x running on sabertooth x58, 24 GB ram, 2x VelociRaptors 600GB, 1x SS 160GGB, corsair liquid cooling and Nvidia Quadro Fx 2000. Joking aside, I am finding this machine slow now!! I want faster.

Main use is graphics and 3D and of course a little gaming!
Very large image photoshop images manipulation and rendering in Maya

I dont want to have to wait fpr amything!

I have been looking at: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition with 64GB ram, i7-4960X, SSHD 2TB, corsair cooling and I will probably use my VelociRaptors if I dont buy new ones.

Is this a good build, will it be rocket speed?

I usually buy a computer every 2-3 years as they cost a lot and I am concerned whether I am buying is right or not or whether there is a better setup. That is why I am here asking the experts.

Any help/ideas would be really appreciated

Thanks

The biggest performance gain you'll see is from a faster hard drive. SSD or even that SSHD you listed would be much better than any mechanical drive.

SSHDs are pretty good now. I run one in my gaming desktop and it boots fast, loads my most-used programs fast, and everything else I install on either my old mechanical drive or a straight-up SSD when serious speed is needed.

Hi,
I need some help as I am looking to upgrade my system.

Currently I have i7 980x running on sabertooth x58, 24 GB ram, 2x VelociRaptors 600GB, 1x SS 160GGB, corsair liquid cooling and Nvidia Quadro Fx 2000. Joking aside, I am finding this machine slow now!! I want faster.

Main use is graphics and 3D and of course a little gaming!
Very large image photoshop images manipulation and rendering in Maya

I dont want to have to wait fpr amything!

I have been looking at: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition with 64GB ram, i7-4960X, SSHD 2TB, corsair cooling and I will probably use my VelociRaptors if I dont buy new ones.

Is this a good build, will it be rocket speed?

I usually buy a computer every 2-3 years as they cost a lot and I am concerned whether I am buying is right or not or whether there is a better setup. That is why I am here asking the experts.

Any help/ideas would be really appreciated

Thanks

Get a 4930K, not a 4960X. The 3MB of extra L3 cache is not worth several hundred dollars.

Do you need 64GB of RAM? Could 32 be enough for now and maybe upgrade later?

Will you be reusing your GPU? Does your AIO liquid cooler have a 2011 mount?

I think you should also invest in a large SSD. Say 480GB++ for your OS install, important programs, etc, and use your fast HDDs for bulk storage.

4930K, not the 4960X (save $500 for strikingly similar performance).

The Rampage IV BE is a beast of a board but is also overkill for your needs. That board is made for extreme overclocking, meaning LN2 and Dry Ice type stuff (you seemingly wont be doing). a much lesser board will let you overclock with ease.

4930K, not the 4960X (save $500 for strikingly similar performance).

The Rampage IV BE is a beast of a board but is also overkill for your needs. That board is made for extreme overclocking, meaning LN2 and Dry Ice type stuff (you seemingly wont be doing). a much lesser board will let you overclock with ease.

Can you suggest one? I'm not familiar enough with the 2011 lineup. :-/

Get a 4930K, not a 4960X. The 3MB of extra L3 cache is not worth several hundred dollars.

Do you need 64GB of RAM? Could 32 be enough for now and maybe upgrade later?

Will you be reusing your GPU? Does your AIO liquid cooler have a 2011 mount?

I think you should also invest in a large SSD. Say 480GB++ for your OS install, important programs, etc, and use your fast HDDs for bulk storage.

Agreed with these points. The rampage black edition is likely much more expensive than what you need as well, it is truly only made for people who want to benchmark their hardware sub-zero.

Back