• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Intel rig on the way!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wickedout

Tonight I ordered my new Intel parts from Newegg. What do you think? I'm pretty pumped I did it. I sold all my AMD stuff to a friend. So that's why I went with Intel.

Everything should be here on Tuesday. I can't wait to see how it runs. It's gonna crush my old PII X4 920.

All I had to order was the i5 750..MSI P55-GD80 LGA 1156..OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333.

Oh I also have the XFX 5850 coming as well. I'll post some reviews a little later. Here's my current system til I make the move to the i5 750 next week.

AMD Phenom II X4 920 OC'd to 3.3 GHz.
ASUS M3N78-EM
OCZ Gold 8GB DDR2 800
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM
Western Digital 80GB SATA HD 7200 RPM
EVGA GTS 250
Windows Vista Ultimate 64
Samsung T220 22'
750 Antec Earthwatts PSU
Lian Li PC-6X Series PC-60

Last edited:
I'm pretty happy and excited to be going Intel. I can't wait to see the i5 perform.

What I'm pumped about it is the Mobo. It gets awesome reviews. The OCZ memory will be fine for now. I only got 2x4GB DDR 1333 mhz. That should be enough til I get more down the road.

Now I have to re-do my sig. Lol!!

will be interesting to see your results, I have a P55 / i860 I'm working on now. Comming from 775 there is a slight learning curve seems Asus decided to rename the bios options once again.

I'm really excited to see what my results will be to. I have nothing against AMD at all. Actually I used their CPU's for years.

It was time for a change and I decided to go with Intel. Besides the i5 gets great reviews everywhere! All I hear in those reviews is that it kills any AMD CPU out of the water. I could have gotten the Phenom II X4 955/965 BE but why?

The i5 is a great performer. I can't wait to put it in my rig. I read the MSI P55-GD80 mobo is really a good board. I'm gonna just stick to 4GB DDR3 ram for now. It's OCZ ram. I like their stuff. I'll get more memory down the road like in November or December. I'm in no hurry.

As for my new video card it's gonna be AMD/ATI XFX 5850. Haven't heard too much about it but the video review I saw the guy said this a diamond in the rough. Get this card if you can. You won't regret it! We'll see. :)

I have chosen to join the dark side (Intel) :)

I will save my old mobo/CPU/memory just in case I melt the new Intel trying to hit 5ghz. :)

Man that system is awesome! Maybe in the near future you could get a 860 or 870.

I might drop the 870 in this thing sometime next year. By then the prices will have dropped. I just wanted an affordable CPU and the i5 was there and I went for it. Thank goodness. Goodbye AMD! I may go AMD again just not right now.

Do me a favor. If you can OC your board and keep S3 sleep working, please post reporting you can. Gigabyte boards are notorious for not allowing S3 sleep to work when you OC them. Asus is a much better, but even they have issues. I'm curious to see if my next board should be something by a 3rd manufacturer like MSI or Ibit.

Just an update to all my i5 friends. Rig is almost complete. Got a new Antec 902 case yesterday. Had to re-do my rig. Still working on cable management. At least it's up and running. Thank goodness. I love it.

Once complete I'll post a picture of it. We'll see.

The i5 is more then enough power for me right now. Gonna game a lot now. This thing rocks. The XFX 5850 is a great card. Even better looking in my new case. :)

Sweet! Also fill those fan slots up with fans to achieve maximum airflow.

I'll have to get those fans next week also with some more DDR3 ram.

I need a better heatsink for sure. The stock one seems to be doing ok for now. I can't complain.

Back