• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Laptop or Wait?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bayflats

Registered
As the title suggests, I am in a position to buy to a new gaming laptop - something like the Gigabyte p37 or an Acer. However I know very little about laptop tech so was wondering if it's worth waiting for new hardware that might be just around the corner. Are there any game changers upcoming? Was specially thinking about new Maxwell GPUs as being power efficient?

If nothing major then will prob buy in the Cyber Monday coming up in Next few months (I am in no real rush)

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks

If pattern follows, something should be coming up soon or in the next 3 months as far as launch date goes, so expect 3-6 months for availability, another 4 for none extortion prices: as far as power saving, they'll max out the performance to fit within the power\thermal envelope so if you are going with the king 980m, you'll probably lose the customary 10% from the previous generation (mobile is a tighter margin on the high end). The 980m is Maxwell btw. Looking at your signature, save money and get a 780m system, and upgrade your ram on your desktop to 12GB or upgrade from that 270x (the 980m even beats it, lol).

Thanks for the reply nicspits. It sounds like there is nothing earth shattering just around the corner. A year is a long time in tech.

And as for the PC, I will be changing the whole thing soon enough once DDR4 pricing becomes a bit more reasonable. Getting a better GPU now is pointless as the CPU is the bottleneck on anything much better than a 270x.

Thanks for the reply nicspits. It sounds like there is nothing earth shattering just around the corner. A year is a long time in tech.

And as for the PC, I will be changing the whole thing soon enough once DDR4 pricing becomes a bit more reasonable. Getting a better GPU now is pointless as the CPU is the bottleneck on anything much better than a 270x.

A year certainly is, but not so much when factors like availability (sometimes a challenge with high end laptop parts) vs "launching" (some manufactured but laptop manufacturers are slow to implement due to the engineering constraints), cost vs performance (think of the sick mini-atx system you could build for those prices, and it'd beat the laptop in every way!), realized benefit vs opportunity cost (think about what you intend to play\do, check a benchmark, and think if the GTX 980m laptop for $500 more is actually going to change how you use it compared to a GTX 970M laptop as that could be simply 2 quality settings in BF4, meanwhile you'd miss the opportunity to upgrade and better the time you spend on the desktop). Sure something more powerful may eek out a little more longevity, but unfortunately we're talking $1200 to 1900 -$800 recovered from selling the old, not $300 new card -$100 recovered from a single component.

Have to disagree with ya on that 950 bottlenecking +270x even in cpu intensive games (with the exception of single threaded cpu intensive games, in which case, the code is the real bottleneck there and you'd likely run into significant droops even with the latest gen cpu). You do have your 950 OCd to about 4Ghz yes? If so, and for a normal 2+ threaded game, you may be losing 10% or so due to cpu processing speed but with the QPI OCD, 3 memory channels, etc, the graphics card is going to be hitting that 100% usage while your cpu bumps only as high as the 80s, tops. Don't be fooled by the goofs who don't realize that gcards are so powerful now that not much is coded to be processed by the CPU, the industry relies on pc gamers being able to play their games even with older hardware and the snazzy stuff is handled by the gpu.

So while your picking out your laptop, just be practical and realistic as you see that 74fps vs 93fps @ a cost of a GTX 970 (which I have played around with on my [email protected] in BF4, ultra settings, and gpu usage hitting 99% while my 8 threads just chugged right along between 30-70%), a brand new 27 inch monitor, bigger or pci-e 3.0 SSD, or anything else that'll be more ENJOYABLE FOR YOU than trying to notice the difference between High and Ultra... And get that other 6GB of ram! ;)

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-980M.126692.0.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...148503&cm_re=12GB_DDR3-_-20-148-503-_-Product

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/core_i7_4770k_review,23.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262992-29-overclocking-asus-sabertooth

SF,
Nic

Hi nicsplits, sorry for the late reply.

I agree with you in that going for lower gpus makes much more sense given the price premiums the top end requires. There are some interesting 965m laptops on newegg for a much more sensible price.

And I also agree with you in terms of what I could do with the same cash being used in a desktop. But the issue here is that I will be traveling for work a fair bit and I'd like to be able to game in my hotel room rather than simply watching YouTube or movies until I fall asleep.

Thanks once again. Happy to close the thread now.

Back