• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New LCD monitor: lightspeed? IPS? Huh? HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

I'd like to get a new LCD to replace my garbage 1280 x 1024 19" LCD and 20" CRT for gaming and movies (I hope those aren't mutually exclusive goals). So should lightboost and IPS be two things I should be looking for? I'd like to get 1900 x 1200 if possible and at least 24". I could spend up to $1000 US.

All this is exactly why I wanted to get a 24" CRT, LCD technology seems to be a moving target.

I don't believe Lightboost supports IPS, only TN.
I see you mention gaming and movies. Which one do you do more of? For gaming go 120/144hz TN, but for color accuracy go with an IPS like a Dell Ultrasharp 8 or 10 bit...
I have 3 Dell S2740Ls IPS in portrait surround. The color reproduction on them are really good, but they are 1080p @ 27" so resolution is a little low.
It looks like you have a big budget for a monitor so my advise would be this: http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSha...1380325314&sr=8-3&keywords=dell+ultrasharp+27

First it has to be asked, will this be primarily for gaming or will it be primarily for graphic art/design?

If gaming is the primary concern, get an ASUS VG248QE, it is a 24" TN capable of 144Hz as well as 120Hz + Lightboost (Lightboost offers CRT-like gaming experience on LCD).

If art design (Photoshop, etc.) is the primary use, get an 27" IPS panel such as a Crossover Q27, Yamakasi Catleap Q270, Achieva Shimian QH270, or a similar Dell UltraSharp IPS panel.

Back