• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New member wanting advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Devon202

Registered
Hello,

I am fairly new to the overclocking scene. So I have a few questions on how to start overclocking.

Here is my current setup:

AMD FX6100 socket AM3+
GTX 560TI 2gb (second video card is on its way as I type this)
8 gb DDR3 1866 (14900)
ASUS Sabretooth 900fx mobo with current BIOS version
Samsung SSD
Windows 7 64bit
Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced case

Stock cooling

I understand the basic principle and I am currently shopping to upgrade my CPU cooler to a Cooler Master GeminII S524 before I start OCing anything.
Where I am getting confused is in the voltages.
If there is anything that I can read or if there is anything that one of the pros can tell me that will help me to understand the OCing process as a whole, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Rob

Welcome to the forums ........

You can start here ....... http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688663

You might want to rethink your cooling. I am not that familiar with the FX6100 but generally we recommend you look for real good cooling as these puppies generate allot of heat. The coolermaster Gemini II S524 is below that of an H50 which generally gets a thumbs down ...... just some food for thought.

Thank you for that advice, I need that.
Tired of making mistakes in purchasing equipment.
Any advice on what cooler I should be looking at?

Thank you for that advice, I need that.
Tired of making mistakes in purchasing equipment.
Any advice on what cooler I should be looking at?
If you're just looking for a mild overclock a Coolermaster Evo is a good choice for the money. If really looking to push hard then you want either a high end Air such as the Noctua DH 14 or the All in one unit Shrimp suggested. The other option he also mentioned is going full custom cooling but it can be expensive.

I have the Noctua DH 14 and it provides plenty of cooling to easily get my FX-6300 to 4.5 ghz and your case is wide enough to accommodate it's height.

Thank you guys, I am going to purchase that Noctua DH 14 as soon as they are back in stock. I really do appreciate the advice. I really really don't want to go to water cooling if I don't have to.
Reading over as much material as I can.

Thanks again,

Yep, and the the build quality on em nice too.

I recently took my old TRUE copper out of here to get one and put it elsewhere.

I was even running Noctua fans on the TRUE.

Ok, guys.
So everything is in place.
I installed the MASSIVE cooler and I have my second video card installed as well.

Now on to the overclocking, I checked my PSU and it looks to be good enough to handle the overclock and the dual video cards.
I just dont know where to start.
I read the sticky on how to overclock the bulldozer, but does that apply to the FX-6100?

Thanks

Overclocking the Piledriver core CPUs will follow the same guidelines as for the Bulldozer. The Vishera core is just a little more capable, that's all, and should give a littler higher overclock. So you have the choice of overclocking with the multiplier only or with a combo of the multiplier and the FSB (Front Side Bus, aka, HT Reference). The former is a more simple process by far but the latter yields a higher overclock.

Please create a "Sig" so that your system info travels with every post. Go to quick links at the top and then click on Edit Signature. This is a common courtesy on the forum and really helps as the thread gets longer.

The thing that would jump start this helping process is if you would take pics of the overclocking sections of your bios and post them as attachments. That way we are seeing what you see. Usually, there is an easy way to do this via screen capture in bios if you have a flash drive. I think the F12 key will capture the screen image in bios and give you opportunity to save it to the flash drive. You may have to downsize the images before you can attach them because of their size. The built in forum tool for attaching images limits the file size. Downsizing an image can be done with MS Paint or with a third party utility like Irfanview.

To attach an image, use the Go Advanced button at the bottom of any new post window and then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the advanced post window. That will load the file browser/upload tool. Please take the trouble to attach the images directly to your posts rather than linking to some photo storage website. This is our preferred method of operation here.

Last edited:
And if you have not done so, please download and install: HWMonitor (non pro version), CPU-z and Prime95. You will use them constantly to test and monitor your overclock settings, temps and voltages.

Thanks, I will create that SIG as soon as I get back home tomorrow afternoon sometime, Sunday at the latest.
Also, I do have CPU-z, Prime95, Fanspeed and will go and get HWmonitor as soon as I get back as well.

I'll get back on here as soon as I get that all done.
Again, thanks.

Just so you'll know, we much prefer HWMonitor over "Fanspeed". Did you mean to say "Speedfan"? You'll catch flak if you post pics of Speedfan. HWMonitor is kept more up to date than Speedfan.

Yes, Speedfan...lol
Speedfan, fanspeed.. tomato tomato..

I will replace that with HWMonitor asap.

:)

You could try under User CP in that grey section as well edit signature should be on the left side of the new page.

Would like help on creating a sig as i cannot see it under Quick Links

You need a certain number of posts before you can create a Sig. When you qualify, you'll see a gold star under your handle. In the meantime, just list your components in the body of your post. You can refer to mine if you want guidance as to what kind of info we like to see. Don't forget to include information about the case which is often overlooked as important in overclocking by noobs.

Back