• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Mobo and SLI GTX460 opinions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magik_missles

I am thinking of upgrading from my mATX MSI mobo to http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130290

This is just to facilitate 2 GTX460's. I am not concerned about Bulldozer or USB 3.0 or SATA 6GBs due to cost restraints. I already have a molex to 6pin adapter from the GPU I already own, and will receive another with the new matching GPU, so power connections are good. Estimating power usage online is just about 500W, so I feel safe there as well.

Thoughts? Opinions? Warnings? All of my specs in my signature are current.
Thanks in advance!

PCI Express 2.0 x16 = size 2 (x16, x4) = Transfer Lanes

With the bottom slot only have x4 transfer lanes, it would not make a very good board for SLI.

Plus the board does not support SLI natively but have to run hacked SLI.

PCI Express 2.0 x16 = size 2 (x16, x4) = Transfer Lanes

With the bottom slot only have x4 transfer lanes, it would not make a very good board for SLI.

Plus the board does not support SLI natively but have to run hacked SLI.

I understand the lanes, but is it really worth the money for a x8, x8 or x16, x16? x8 lanes like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131631

But I guess for the original board it is irrelevant since SLI won't be easily attained. Another main factor (sorry it wasn't in the OP) is that I want to make sure I can unlock the P2 555's dormant cores.

Thanks!

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 has core unlocker...BUT that in n0 way ensures the cores will unlock to working useful cores. That is only known after so doing.

X4 is not a real good choice for "linking" two video cards together with performance in mind.

:cool:
ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 has core unlocker...BUT that in n0 way ensures the cores will unlock to working useful cores. That is only known after so doing.

X4 is not a real good choice for "linking" two video cards together with performance in mind.

Well, looks like x4 is out then. Thanks for the help!

Here is a board I am now considering:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...rue&Keywords=(keywords)&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

For a recap, I am running a single GTX460 on a mATX board right now and want to SLI for gaming performance. The board is AM3 and SLI x8 x8. Seems that for the price point, this is as good as it's going to get. I could go AM3+ with SLI in x16 x16 mode, but that will put me out of my price range considering the GTX460 that is in the shopping cart as well.

Sound off if you have any warnings or advice.

Nvidia that makes the chipset for that motherboard has not released a new chipset in like 2 years now. So technologically that board is old.

I looked thru the first 10 "user/reviews" at NewEgg and this seems to be what is found.
user/reviewer said:
This motherboard certainly has its fair share of unusual problems. However, it is reasonably priced, and offers SLI, which works great

I would be very tempted to sell a 460 card and put the monies with some more and get one video card that would outperform 2 x 460s in SLI and not go for old tech just to get SLI.

You asked and I wrote what " I " would likely do my ownself. You of course have to deal with things as you see fit.

Nvidia that makes the chipset for that motherboard has not released a new chipset in like 2 years now. So technologically that board is old.

I looked thru the first 10 "user/reviews" at NewEgg and this seems to be what is found.

I would be very tempted to sell a 460 card and put the monies with some more and get one video card that would outperform 2 x 460s in SLI and not go for old tech just to get SLI.

You asked and I wrote what " I " would likely do my ownself. You of course have to deal with things as you see fit.

I greatly appreciate the input, you make a good point. That is what the forums are all about. :thup:

Back