• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New mobo/cpu drivers not working, no chicken or egg to start out with?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

homebuildit

I can't figure out how to install my drivers.

My LAN not working, USB's not reading flash or USB DVD drives.

How can I get my drivers installed?

FYI z370 Gaming 7 mobo, Windows 7 Ult.

Use W10. :p

Anyway, being W7 it isn't picking up up the LAN as its newer. It isn't reading the USB stick because you likely do not have the XHCI drivers required for basic USB function of a brand spanking new chipset in an outdated OS. That out of the way, in the BIOS there should be an option there with W7 Boot or XHCI or legacy USB or something. I don't have a giga so no idea where to point you specifically, but it should be in there and allow you to get USB functionality until you can install the drivers.

Maybe this utility on their W7 page.. Windows USB driver installation Tool?
http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/Z370-AORUS-Gaming-7-rev-10#support-dl

Not sure if it makes a disk for you and installs though....

Thanks again!

Yes I've considered upgrading to win10, but I don't have LAN or USB optical drive working, so I'm not seeing how that would change much, except oh I guess I'd boot with the w10 disc, as the BIOS does see the drives, just w7 doesn't.

Isn't there a way to copy files one drive to another without booting windows, maybe using the cache or something? Seems like I did that years ago at a similar issue, not sure though.

Another option I considered is copying drivers to desktop SDD via an old sata/usb adaptor I have, but my laptop not recognizing the adapted drive for some reason, such as I may be missing a power cable to the adaptor, not sure.

I'll try to set older usb in the BIOS.

It’s a little weird that the usb drives aren’t working as they usually do. The copy of windows I have came on a usb so I would be screwed in your position.

Have you tried updating the bios to see if there was an issue there?

From what I gather from other posts on the forums here is that MB's that come with X3XX and Z3XX chipsets don't have a USB 2.0 controller, so Win 7 install DVD or USB can't use the newer USB 3.0 & 3.1 controllers.
But maybe this will help, this is from a Z170 MB but should be in same place as yours.
USB-Legacy.jpg

Installing! :D

Solution was to go to bestbuy and buy an internal optical drive so it has SATA. Ironic in that on my trek into Boston yesterday for hardware I specifically bought a new external optical drive just for this likely problem, thinking that it would cover me as it listed windows 7 and 10. But now obvious it was the USB driver incompatibility, not the drive itself. So if anyone looking for an optical drive I have 3 now haha.

FYI, the legacy USB option on my system seemed to only be for mouse/kb, though I could have missed the correct option. Also I suspect windows would in fact be able to install, as it was the windows/usb driver not present but the BIOS does read all of these windows incompatible drives (dvd & flash drives didn't work in win, kb/m did due to legacy enabled, nice if legacy included optical duh!), so I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be screwed for OS install. Anyway, if you were, just buy the sata/internal drive and that solved it all.

Yes, its mouse and keyboard. Once in windows, install drivers for the rest and they all work. No purchase was necessary, really.

Sorry but I did already try that, didn't work. Though I may have missed another setting too, can't be sure.

Back