• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Monitor Flickering - What could it be?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vio1

Hi, its been a long time since Ive posted on the forum. I used to overclock and mod computers when I was younger, however a few years back I bought an iMac and had no need to modify or tweak my system.
I recently sold my iMac hoping to make a hackintosh (dual boot windows 8.1/Yosemite) and purchased a whole bunch of new hardware.
I installed windows no problem, however Im having issues with installing Yosemite (i have a thread on tonymac86x).

Besides having issues with the installation OSX, I have a monitor/graphics card issue Im hoping the fine people on this forum could help me with.

System specs:
i7 4970
gigabyte z97x-UD5H
gigabyte GTX 970
Samsung 850 pro
Corsair AX860
Corsair H60
Acer B326HK monitor

The problem:
Flickering screen when using the displayport cable connected to my graphics card. Its as if the display is blinking on and off (yet the power light shows on). When connected with HDMI, I have no issues. The flickering comes and goes. Sometimes when I start the computer its fine, while other times it flickers so much I cannot do anything. I was thinking maybe its a driver issue, however the flickering starts right when I turn on the pc and even when I enter the bios.

Do you think its a monitor issue? Graphics card? Displayport cable? I dont have another graphics card to test, nor do I have another monitor that runs off of a displayport.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I searched out the acer forum and it seems to be a known issue. Some people have resolved the issue by changing out the included display port cable with an after market one. I ordered the one others have and Im hopeful it will resolve the issue.

Back