• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new motherboard woes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stftk_137

Registered
I bought an older used Fatal1ty mobo off ebay (yeah I know)

anyways I set it up in my case with my 8600GT and my Athlon 64 3500

I pop in my XP Disc and It hangs on the "Setup is starting windows" screen.

I pop in my Ubuntu disc and I get an Xorg error. .saying I have no screens...I just want an OS, and I dont want to try my vista disc :(

Well, I suggest you rule out as much hardware as you can. Do you have another video card you can try? Both of those OS issues could easily be caused by the same problem. I really want to say that it is the motherboard was borked before you bought it, but, while that is the simplest explaination, it may not be the cause. Those other parts you listed, are they known good? (Do they work in another computer; tested after these current failures?) Video cooling device well mounted and not blazing hot to the touch at the moment of failure?

my goal is to repair a windows install..that I have on this harddrive but I need to get into the disc first. I forgot to add that my DVDrom light is steady on..flickers sometimes but usually stays on all the time when the CD is in..and it sounds like its reading everything cuz it spins up then winds down..then spins up again. I am going to leave it be for awhile and see what happens...but I cant restart the computer by CTRL ALT DEL so I think it may be hung.

no the vid card is fine..its not hot like abnormally hot...if the mobo was screwed...why would it boot fine and find all my stuff fine...it seems as if its working. just doesnt like me apparently..and no I dont have another card I could try.

It sucks cuz this mobo doesnt have onboard video.

Ok, maybe I am not understanding the problem.

Are you saying that you can you boot that PC to the desktop, but not boot an Ubuntu LiveCD or perform a repair install of Windows XP?

Or you saying that the board will pass POST and begin a boot from the LiveCD and the Windows XP CD, but lock up before completing either task?

sorry I should have went into more detail. I can boot from a CD to a certain point. on the XP CD I can get to the "Setup is starting windows" part where it hangs. Ubuntu I get that error. and on Vista it seems as tho my CD drive isnt working. It spins up real fast then seems as if its hanging. till I open the drive the screens I need pop up. Then I can continue like normal till it does it again. I am going to download the mobo manual and see if there is a jumper or something the other guy had set.

I dunno about the lock up at "Setup is starting Windows", but that was a known bug with GeForce 2s and Via KT133 motherboards.

With Ubuntu, it probably don't support GeForce 8 series. Sorry. :(

Which version of Ubuntu did you try to install?

ahh that could be...I was using 6.10 and 6.06 I have 7.04 and up but I never thought of using em :p I tried the same windows CD in my lappy and still no go. so now I tried my Vista Beta disc and it installed as far as I know its on that Windows is preparing to run for the first time screen :p. I have a copy of win MCE that once I find I will try.

Also I have noticed that my DVD drive is really sluggish with loading things..like with Vista...I had to open the CD tray then close it again so dialogues would pop up. It spins up and winds down like crazy.

Back