• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New NAS setup inbound...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tRidiot

Premium Member
So I've been wanting to replace my old backup NAS for ever. It's an old Netgear ReadyNAS 104 that Amazon tells me I purchased on Oct 15th, 2014.

It's about time.

So inbound is the following:

Synology 8-bay DS1821+ NAS
2x Seagate Firecuda 530 M.2 2280 1TB PCIe4 x4 NVME SSD
2x Micron MTA18ASF2G72HZ-3G2R1RCrucial 16GB DDR4 (32GB total) - ECC 2 row SODIMM modules.
4x Seagate Exos Enterprise 14TB HDD

APC BE670M UPS

It'll be a bit of an upgrade - should last me a few years.

The plan will be to upgrade to the dual 25Gbit SFP28 card probably in the spring or something. At least the 10Gbit, but I'd prefer the 25Gbit for the hell of it.

Well, I got my Synology in, but stupid UPS appears to have lost my drives - 4x 14TB Enterprise drives, supposed to be 'signature confirmation' and they listed it as delivered to someone named 'bill' - there's no 'bill' at my house.

I literally got up the minute I got the text notification of delivery - funny thing, this was coming from a Newegg third-party seller., the Synology NAS itself came from Newegg and was dropped at the same moment, supposedly ALSO signed for by 'bill' and it was there!

Two packages, from different shippers, delivered at the same time, both marked as delivered to 'bill', and only one is there.

So I've filed a dispute with UPS, they opened an 'investigation' and I also notified the seller through Newegg, they say they are following with UPS - so I'm at their mercy.

Now, this morning, 3 days later, when checking for updates (no email notification of anything) now it says:

11/26/2022
2:15 A.M.
On the Way
Processing at UPS Facility
Tulsa, OK, United States
11/23/2022
7:17 P.M.
Investigation Opened
An investigation has been opened for your lost package.

So.... does that mean they located my package that was supposedly delivered and signed for by 'bill'?

Uh huh... we'll see.

They found my hard drives... somewhere... three days later. Just showed up. Funny how that happens, eh?

Anyways, got my NAS set up, waiting on memory to arrive, but everything else is working. 38TB of new storage, baby!!

Trying to decide if I want to add in the 4 3TB drives from my old NAS. I don't think so, though, I don't need the storage, and I'm just asking for one to go bad, they're about5 or 6 years old, I'm sure.

Back