• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New OC help wanted (screen shots included)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rockon8729

Looking to OC my system. Could do it myself but looking around the internet hasn't seemed to help much since people have different BIOS with different terms and such.

• MB- ASUS M4A87TD EVO, AMD 870/DDR3
  • CPU- AMD PHENOM ii X4 840 (3.2G)
  • CPU COOLER- CORSAIR 120MM LIQUID COOLER
  • MEMORY- ADATA 2G x 4 DDR3-1600
  • GRAPHICS- RADEON HIS 6870 1GB TURBO
  • POWER SUPPLY- COONIX 700W
  • CASE- COOLERMASTER HAF 922 MINI CASE
  • OS- WINDOWS 7 64Bit
  • STORAGE- HITACHI 1TB 16MB SATA-2

ymSojtU.png
gpoUugU.jpg
KuJRz2o.jpg
FaeLDLS.jpg

I have prime95, Core Temp, and CPU-Z. Thanks for the help in getting the most out of this thing.

It's been a long time since I've overclocked a Ph2. But I remember this as an awesome guide.

Read it, and play with your processor. There's not a magic setting that will make your processor hit 4.0GHz.

The first thing to do is to check temps at stock speeds and voltages by running a 20 minute Prime95 blend test with HWMonitor open on the desktop to monitor max CPU socket temps and core temps. Before closing HWMonitor, crop and save the image with Windows Accessories' Snipping Tool and attach it with a post so we can look at it with you. That will tell us how much overclocking headroom you likely have from a temp standpoint. Before doing any of that, however, go into bios and disable Cool N Quiet and C1E. Then go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and set the option to High Performance. That should disable all the "green" stuff that messes with frequencies and voltages in order to save power. It's the enemy of overclocking.

what ya gonna wanna do is bump the cpu frequency up by about 100mhz at a time. also bump the voltage up a bit every 200 to 300mhz. i cant really remember by how much lol (havnt touched my 965 in a while :p). I do know in order to get 4ghz i had around 1.5v. I could only get the memory to go up to about 1450mhz then it wouldnt boot. try and get the cpunb to clock as high as possible cause it has a noticeable performance increase. mine used to stay good at 2600mhz. couldnt get any higher though :/

Phenom II x4 840 is actually a Athlon Processor misnamed as Phenom without L3 Cache. I used it once to make a cheap computer for one of my friend about a year back. Was damn cheap $59 @ Microcenter.

If I remember it well, It is not black edition so no option to increase Multiplier. You have to work with CPU Bus Frequency slowly. While doing this keep eyes on your RAM frequency as well, increasing FSB increases RAM frequency too.

Back