• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build, Please Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tomdean

I am building a new computer. It is oversized, but, I plan to use it for several years.
And, it is what I want. 10 cores for bonic, 10 cores for cado-nfs, 10 cores for me and/or farmshare, and 2 cores for email and browsing.

I think I have made sure everything fits and is right.

I have not placed an order. Most of this stuff comes from New Egg. A couple from Amazon.

I would like help in finding gross errors.

Case Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 Rev. 2 Black (Not Pro)

PSU Dark Power Pro 12 1200 Watt ~75% loaded at max
PSU Shroud

MB ASUS ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha
M.2_1, M.2_2, and M.2_3 sockets support PCIe 4.0 x4 M
Key design and type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices.

CPU AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970x 32 Cores 4.5GHz

RAM Crucial Ballistix Max 32GB Kit 2x16GB DDR4-4400

SSD1 Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe
1TB Storage Capacity
M.2 2280 Form Factor
PCIe 4.0 x4 / NVMe 1.3 Interface
Sequential Reads up to 7000 MB/s
Sequential Writes up to 5000 MB/s
w/ Be Quiet! NC1 Pro SSD Cooler
SSD2 ##Crucial P5 PCIe M.2 2280SS CT2000P5SSD8 CT18219255
Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 5000 mb/s write 7000mb/s read
w/ Be Quiet! NC1 Pro SSD Cooler

DVD ???

Video AMD Radeon HD 5970 DirectX 11 HD5970

Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Loop 360mm BW008

Fans (3) Silent Wings 3 140mm
(3) Silent Wings 3 PWM 140mm

A few concerns, yes.

1. 1.2KW PSU is massive overkill. he cpu you chose is a 280W CPU. The GPU is ~300W. A quality 850-900W unit would be plenty. It still allows for overclocking headroom and quiet operation. 1KW at max. 1.2KW is overkill for no benefit.

2. That GPU... a carryover? You don't game (right?)? And that is a dual gpu card (an old one at that) that when loaded sucks down almost 300W. If you're buying that, don't. If you work doesn't touch the gpu, then just get something basic to put an image on the screen. Use the 6870. Hopefully they work in the new system (uefi compatibility)..especially the 5 series card.

3. RAM - Gross errors, lol. First, threadripper is a quad channel platform. For ideal performance, you want 4x8GB.

3a. DDR4 4400 - is simply not possible on that platform as you need it. You can likely run 1:2 ratio with your 2x sticks but latency is a lot slower. 4x sticks... not sure you'll reach 4400 or anywhere close. That platform isn't meant for memory overclocking. If you want a sweetspot and save an assload of cash, buy more appropriate memory for the platform. DDR4 3200 or 3600. Seeing the other thread, you need to buy sticks that are set xmp and move on. You don't come across as a tweaker which is what you'll have to do buying such a fast kit that the platform doesn't even support. DDR4 3200 if you're eventually populating all the slots or going with higher density.

4. DVD? Not up to us. ;)

5. That motherboard... why? So pricey for little (no?) reason. You can save $500 getting something more appropriate (and please, no bologna about lasting longer, etc, lol).

That's about it...I'm considering merging the two threads since this is all about your build.....

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. It helped.
Skip the GPU. I will use the 6870. If I keep it, the P9X9 has a graphics output, but, most likely would be headless.
The PSU is just in case I want to put in a high end GPU for CUDA. CUDA may be too expensive, since I do not otherwise need high end graphics.
Great point on the quad channel and memory.
I don't think I will have a DVD.
I like the ASUS OC firmware. I do not need that last bit of tweek.

I have been thinking of using a NUC as an xterm and the other machines headless. (Excluding she who must be obeyed's machine)

You've got a "high end" gpu (read: high power) already. 50W is the difference between that 300W card you listed and the most powerful hungry thing out. So, still no remote need for 1.2KW. 1KW at most.

Since you like asus, get the ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E GAMING. That will save you a few hundred.

Wait until new threadripper comes out, I think it is to be announced in August? something like that. I'm waiting for it myself.

I have seen this a few times. What is the supposed advantage of the new threadripper?

Same advantages the new 5000 series has over the 3000 series. Increased IPC, efficiency, and likely increased clock speeds. You'll have to read a review when they're released to get exact increases over previous gen. :)

So long as they are based on Zen 2 (and I believe they are), then yes.

If you want to wait for the latest and greatest, I think you're MUCH better off spending a small premium on that than to overspend (with little tangible returns) on the PSU and motherboard, etc. :)

After thrashing around in more than one thread, my bad, I can write
the system requirements. The new system is to be a compute engine,
running headless. Work will be fed to the system via the network.

CPU: Looking at some recent benchmarks, nanoreview.net, the AMD 3970X
is comparable to the 3975WX. Saves $1k?
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X

MB: Still looking for this. The MB needs to support the 3970X and the
associated RAM. Since I have decided to build a compute engine,
the MB doea not need to be as fancy. I like the ASUS MBs, so
maybe best to stick with that. Check that MB will boot from USB
stick.
ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E GAMING seems to be sufficient.

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Max 32 GB DDR4-3600 4x8G or 4x16G

Disk: Using Raid1 will reduce the need for backup. If necessary,
install a multi-TB SSD for backup.
SSD1: Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 1TB
SSD2: Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 1TB

GPU: None. Use existing AMD Radeon 6870 for install.

KEYBOARD: None. Use existing for install.

MOUSE: None. Use existing for install.

Cooling: I like water cooling, AIO. My experience with the H80i has
been good. It lasted about 7 years of continuous use. The
second one is still running. Air cooling may be better. I
can always go to water if air does not work. Need to verify
that air cooling will work with the selected MB and RAM.
Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 2nd Fan?

PSU: 850 watts is more than sufficient. Less will work with this
configuration. Keep 850 for possible future addition of GPUs for
CUDA. Need a quality PSU.
Undecided.
Be Quiet! Dark Power 12 850 Watt ??

Case: The requirements for case have reduced significantly. The case
should be constructed with heavier metal. No glass. The case
needs lots of air flow. No need for disk or DVD bays. This is
the reason for my recent post to cases subforum. Need front
panel USB ports.
3x140mm intake on front.
1x140mm exhauston back.
2x140mm exhaust on top.
Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 Rev. 2 Black (Not Pro) seems overkill.

Fans: Need quality 140mm fans.
Noctua NF-A14 PWM

Back