• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Overclocker Here With Tons of questions!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Once you run a baseline with Prime at least 20 min long, as long as your temps fall in line bump your multiplier by. 5 and run again watching your temps in HWMONITOR. Socket Temp(CPU in HWMONITOR) 72*C max and Core temp (Package temp in HWMONITOR) 65*C Max.

Just keep bumping your multiplier and testing till you have an error in Prime, usually a core will stop working. At that point post a screen of CPUZ cpu, Memory and SPD tabs as well as your HWMONITOR while still under load. Someone will advise from there.

Ok guys so I need some help my whole setup has changed completely in the last month so here is what I'm running right now.
CPU:AMD FX 8350
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990fx RV 2.0
Antec 750 Water cooler
Antec 750 Watt 80 plus bronze psu
GPU: 980 Ftw 4gb
1 SSD and HDD
16GB of 1600 DDR 3 memory.
I'm having trouble where to start, what to enable and disable on this board and what to bump up and down manually.
Thanks

Have a read through the link in my sig it'll give you a good place to start

Have a read through the link in my sig it'll give you a good place to start
I have read it. Currently with just a multiplier overclock I have it stable at 4.5 Ghz, the only thing I want to know is under stress testing if a max of 61 c is ok? Under gaming loads like Battlefield 4,Battlefront,Fallout 4 and Black OPs 3 my chip sits around 40-45 with some spikes to 50 very rarely. When the computer is completely idle I get any where from 19 to 23 c. When doing homework and web browsing it does not go above 35C. Are these reasonable figures?Good or bad ones? One question I do have is why this chip has such random temp spikes. like even at idle it will be really cold bellow 20 C then go to like 27C then back down then to 22 then down, the whole time the Clock speed isn't budging at all and the cpu percent usage on any of the cores are fairly low like less than 10%. Also can I use AMD turbo boost, core c6 state and C state while OCing? I would like my chip to run at its max power only when it needs too other wise I feel like it's a waste of the life of the cpu and power. If not then I will leave these things off. Also should HPC mode and APM mode be on or off, as well as in power option should my minimum processor state be 100% or is it ok to let it go down a bit? Thanks guys.

I have read it. Currently with just a multiplier overclock I have it stable at 4.5 Ghz, the only thing I want to know is under stress testing if a max of 61 c is ok? Under gaming loads like Battlefield 4,Battlefront,Fallout 4 and Black OPs 3 my chip sits around 40-45 with some spikes to 50 very rarely. When the computer is completely idle I get any where from 19 to 23 c. When doing homework and web browsing it does not go above 35C. Are these reasonable figures?Good or bad ones? One question I do have is why this chip has such random temp spikes. like even at idle it will be really cold bellow 20 C then go to like 27C then back down then to 22 then down, the whole time the Clock speed isn't budging at all and the cpu percent usage on any of the cores are fairly low like less than 10%. Also can I use AMD turbo boost, core c6 state and C state while OCing? I would like my chip to run at its max power only when it needs too other wise I feel like it's a waste of the life of the cpu and power. If not then I will leave these things off. Also should HPC mode and APM mode be on or off, as well as in power option should my minimum processor state be 100% or is it ok to let it go down a bit? Thanks guys.
Pmkrocks, How long have you stress tested the overclock and using what program. If you could open Hwmonitor and run Prime Blend for 20 minutes then post screen shots of the following Hwmonitor and the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and Memory. This will give us a better look under the hood so to speak. As far as temperatures go, idle temps on these Fx processors are inaccurate. AMD has stated that the readings are only accurate above 40c under load.

To answer your question about turning the power saving features back on, yes you can. It will take a little fiddling but we can help you with that. I usually leave HPC enabled but mostly because I'm usually pushing my chips pretty hard, APM disabled.

Pmkrocks, How long have you stress tested the overclock and using what program. If you could open Hwmonitor and run Prime Blend for 20 minutes then post screen shots of the following Hwmonitor and the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and Memory. This will give us a better look under the hood so to speak. As far as temperatures go, idle temps on these Fx processors are inaccurate. AMD has stated that the readings are only accurate above 40c under load.

To answer your question about turning the power saving features back on, yes you can. It will take a little fiddling but we can help you with that. I usually leave HPC enabled but mostly because I'm usually pushing my chips pretty hard, APM disabled.

Thanks mandrake I will do a prime blend test tomorrow morning for 20 minutes. I also would like to note I remounted my cooler and found that when I lifted and set down the cold plate on the cpu last time to try to line up the brackets my Diamond Nano thermal past had a bunch of air pockets :shock: . But I took about 45 minutes to thoroughly clean my cpu and cold plate till they were shinny and clean. Reapplied a perfect amount of thermal paste and had my friend help me remount the cooler on, now it its even and on very snug. I ran prime for about 15 minutes and my temps had actually gone down a little over 10C! Who knew a slightly lose cold plate and poor thermal paste could cause such a change! Un fortunately I forgot to screen shot my readings, I will duplicate the test tomorrow and post them here!

Thanks mandrake I will do a prime blend test tomorrow morning for 20 minutes. I also would like to note I remounted my cooler and found that when I lifted and set down the cold plate on the cpu last time to try to line up the brackets my Diamond Nano thermal past had a bunch of air pockets :shock: . But I took about 45 minutes to thoroughly clean my cpu and cold plate till they were shinny and clean. Reapplied a perfect amount of thermal paste and had my friend help me remount the cooler on, now it its even and on very snug. I ran prime for about 15 minutes and my temps had actually gone down a little over 10C! Who knew a slightly lose cold plate and poor thermal paste could cause such a change! Un fortunately I forgot to screen shot my readings, I will duplicate the test tomorrow and post them here!
Ok thanks and yes a bad mount can really screw up temps.

Ok your temps look good. One thing I notice is you're running your ram at 1866 which you stated in your first post. You may want to do some testing to see if running 1866 @ 11-11-11 is actually faster then running @ 1600 Mhz 9-9-9. How long have you run Prime 95 to see if this Oc is actually stable, 2 hours minimum?

Now as far as running the setup with the power saving features on you need to write down everything you changed to achieve this Oc if it is actually stable. Then set the power savings back on and put the Cpu back to default. At default open Cpu-Z then click on the "About" tab, left click on "save report txt." this will give us the P-States of your chip .ie the voltage it needs to run at stock settings. Then we'll need to just subtract the voltage it needs at stock from the 1.368 you're giving it under load. This will give us the offset voltage you'll need to run with the power saving features on, overclocked. It will look like this.
P-states 8350.PNG

Ok your temps look good. One thing I notice is you're running your ram at 1866 which you stated in your first post. You may want to do some testing to see if running 1866 @ 11-11-11 is actually faster then running @ 1600 Mhz 9-9-9. How long have you run Prime 95 to see if this Oc is actually stable, 2 hours minimum?

Now as far as running the setup with the power saving features on you need to write down everything you changed to achieve this Oc if it is actually stable. Then set the power savings back on and put the Cpu back to default. At default open Cpu-Z then click on the "About" tab, left click on "save report txt." this will give us the P-States of your chip .ie the voltage it needs to run at stock settings. Then we'll need to just subtract the voltage it needs at stock from the 1.368 you're giving it under load. This will give us the offset voltage you'll need to run with the power saving features on, overclocked. It will look like this.
View attachment 172103

Ok. Question. Is there anyway I can achieve a higher oc? Possibly bring my temps down as well?

Ok. Question. Is there anyway I can achieve a higher oc? Possibly bring my temps down as well?
Is this a trick question? :D Only way to Oc higher and bring down the temps is getting better cooling. You still have a little headway in temps so you can push a bit more if you want. Max temps 70c on the Cpu and 62 C on the package for a daily Oc.

Is this a trick question? :D Only way to Oc higher and bring down the temps is getting better cooling. You still have a little headway in temps so you can push a bit more if you want. Max temps 70c on the Cpu and 62 C on the package for a daily Oc.
What is the best cooling I could get for this cpu that isn't bigger than a 120 radiator? Also if you there ones that run quieter please let me know the pump on this antec Kuler 750 is pretty annoying even at idle when my head set is off. :shock:

Not really in the 120 range. You need to go 240-360 for better results

Not really in the 120 range. You need to go 240-360 for better results

I have an nzxt s340 case, it's not super big, the only support it has for a bigger radiator is at the front of the case for a 280mm NZXT Kraken x61. Is the temperature drop and possible noise reduction worth the 170$ price tag?

I have an nzxt s340 case, it's not super big, the only support it has for a bigger radiator is at the front of the case for a 280mm NZXT Kraken x61. Is the temperature drop and possible noise reduction worth the 170$ price tag?

It can fit a custom loop: 280 up front (<=30mm thick, of you want to keep the cable management bar) and a 120 rad in back. I'm working on a custom loop setup with this case :)

It can fit a custom loop: 280 up front (<=30mm thick, of you want to keep the cable management bar) and a 120 rad in back. I'm working on a custom loop setup with this case :)

I got a FX 9590 Running at 5.0 Ghz on a 280mm AIO cooler. :D I'm pretty dam happy!

Pic of 2 hours of Prime 95 at 5.0 gig please, and include temps.:D
I can almost guaranty that it fails.

I don't know how it looks like with new chips but [email protected] was running at acceptable temps on 3x120mm rad ... but was heating up water so much that pump was overheating and was shutting down after longer full CPU load :p

Back