• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New P5B Deluxe Bios ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
:( Cleared CMOS I guess as well?

I have that issue where it will load things up power will stay on HDD and CD drive go active for a while then stop its still on but doing nothing. My case was that I OCed to far is my guess.

I have never done the bios flash with software in windows, maybe something was unstable when you did it.

hyperasus said:
Ya usually if something goes wrong it will ask for the driver CD and repair the bios from that. Problem is it wont even post. ...
I'm so sorry to hear that - I put in countless hours setting up my new rig & I can really appreciate what you must be going through :(

Could you tell us at least if the Windows update pgm completed with a "Writing ... OK" and "verifying ... OK" messages (or whatever the Win version might state)? I updated my original (fact. installed) BIOS with the 0507 version via Windows, but I think that it will have been the first & last time I use a Windows utility to update a BIOS... :eek:

According to the manual, the BIOS can theoretically only be hosed if the update is interrupted (power failure, application failure, etc.) thus the reason for the questions above.

In any event, be certain to at least to short out the CLRTC jumper (move it to the right-two pins) and I'd even go as far as to remove the battery - at least before ripping the board out....

In any event best of luck to you & fingers crossed that you somehow are spared the effort of RMAing the board :)

Shorting out the CLRTC jumper was the first thing I tried. I even tried that and removing the battery at the same time. I have been using the windows update utility for quite a while and never had any trouble. When I ran the update everything looked normal as it always does then it told me I must restart the computer as soon as it was done flashing, just like it always does. So naturaly I told it yes restart teh machine.............and that was it. Anyhow, I'm back online with my crusty P5W DH. I will contact asus today and ask if they will ship me a new bios chip.

Hyper, I've been stalking Asus FTP site recently :D , there are alot of change/revisions even at their DOS based AFUDOS flashing utility.

Again, if you watch closely when using Win based flash or even the built-in Bios EZ-flash, they did skip some region of the boot block. For Windows version I dunno, but for EZ-Flash, they can't overwrite themself (the flash routine).

The only method to have a clean total BIOS refresh is still booting from DOS and thru AFUDOS on stock speed. I dedicated bought a 256MB usb thumb stick, made it DOS bootable and put all Bios revisions, AFUDOS and Memtest, and plug & forget it at the rear of the puter. When times to flash, just press F8 during post and select boot to USB and do everything from there.

Well, lesson learned especially with these new P5B-Dlx board that has new flash type, heck it doesn't even have a flash chip if you watch closely at the mobo, dunno where they put it.

This is sux and feel sorry for you, I hope you still can find another way out to fix this.

You are right about not having the flash chip. Interesting. So much for having asus just send me another chip. I will be sending this sucker back threw the mail. Next time I will be flashing threw DOS like you say. Lesson learned for me. Hope I at least saved a few of you from the same grief. Moral of the story.

bing said:
The only method to have a clean total BIOS refresh is still booting from DOS and thru AFUDOS on stock speed.

Thats good advise folks. Don't risk using the windows update utility.

omg! i feel sorry for you. I flashed this 3 times now. lucky me i guess. Actually i'm planning to re-flash this tonight because i'm still using the 0614 beta (not the official from their site) that was floating around earlier. I didnt even notice that this board doesnt have a BIOS a chip. Guess i'm stuck with this for now.

Werent you running at stock when you flashed? Ive always used asus update, but i switch everything to stock before i do to minimize hardware crashes or something. Also it would be advisable to do this in safe mode. so theres no rograms running in the background that could interrupt the process. If windows will allow it to run. Which im sure it will.

Anway, hope asus rma works out for you :)

Especially with un-official Bios, the risk of mis-flash is even higher.

C'mon, usb stick cost only few bucks and its not worth the risk. Even 128MB if you can still find it is more than enough to put on "all" Bios revisions, Afudos and Memtest.

Edit : About the stalking, even Asus Update has been thru "a lot" of revisions for the past two weeks at their FTP site ! Scary !

Last edited:
Well, seems like this is the 1st sighting of non bios chip mobo, look at the bottom left side near black sata connector, there is a place where that chip should be placed, but its left blank unsoldered. Mine only got a sticker on it.

Yeah, mine only has a sticker in it too. Its just wierd why they didnt put a bios chip. they shouldve just included the chip instead of the mic if it costs too much :p So what is it? Bad board design? Immature BIOS or Chipset? It just suck because its a good BIOS release. But whatever the reason everyone has to be careful with this board. This thread became very interesting

Yikes !! Just checked Asus FTP sites few minutes ago and here what I got !

Damn, they even revised that AFUDOS yesterday !

Note: Sorted by date with format is YY/MM/DD

Code:
/pub/ASUS/mb/flash/
       AFUDOS226.zip           22.7 k  06/09/12 18:24  ----
       AFUDOS223.zip           22.3 k  06/09/04 16:46  ----
       AsusUpdt70705.zip        4.0 M  06/08/24 20:20  ----
       AsusUpdt_V70701.zip      4.0 M  06/08/16 12:22  ----
       AsusUpdt_V70602.zip      4.0 M  06/06/08 12:02  ----
       AWDFLASH118.zip         25.3 k  06/05/25 16:25  ----
       AsusUpdt_V70501.zip      3.6 M  06/04/10 14:46  ----
       AWDFLASH117.zip         25.1 k  06/03/31 09:55  ----
       AWDFLASF116.zip         25.1 k  06/01/11 11:51  ----
       AsusUpdt70401.zip        3.4 M  05/12/30 15:37  ----
       AWDFLASH114.zip         24.7 k  05/11/10 11:52  ----
       AWDFLASH113.zip         24.3 k  05/11/04 16:15  ----
       AsusUpdt61002.zip        1.6 M  05/10/06 21:29  ----
       AsusUpdt61001.zip        1.6 M  05/09/29 18:02  ----
       AsusUpdt60901.zip        1.6 M  05/09/29 11:59  ----
       AFUDOS221.zip           22.0 k  05/09/29 11:54  ----
       AFUDOS219.zip           21.8 k  05/09/05 12:37  ----
       probe64-26412.zip        4.2 M  05/06/28 15:00  ----
       probe32-22410.zip        3.8 M  05/06/28 14:59  ----
       AWDFLASH829.zip         23.8 k  05/06/27 12:26  ----
       AFUDOS_v217.zip         21.7 k  05/06/22 17:20  ----

See, I believe this new flash at this mobo isn't mature yet, so better put your bet only at AFUDOS until they sort it out ! Man this is creepy !

Sorry- why are people still using windows and dos versions of flashing the bios- when it can be done from the bios with a usb key ? seems a much better way of doing it ?

Buckster said:
Sorry- why are people still using windows and dos versions of flashing the bios- when it can be done from the bios with a usb key ? seems a much better way of doing it ?

Thats the way I did it last time much much easier.

Buckster said:

Since from the BIOS, it will not cleanly wipe out the whole BIOS especially the boot block and the flashing routine it self.

Just watch those progress bar while flashing from bios, it will skip some regions, not continous like normal progress bar does.

Now, wanna bet on leaving your "flashing routine" at the Bios untouched ? Especially what Hyperasus had been through. Not me ! :D

I'm confused Bing- not saying what you've said isn't right - but surely not touching the boot-block is what we want - as then if anything goes wrong with the flash it can be corrected ?

Just like on my old P4c800-E - you had a choice in dos flash of doing just bios or bios + boot/flashing part ?

Well, remember, it is the boot block that kick starts the mobo including that famous "CRASH FREE BIOS" module it self, and looking at Hyperasus experience, seems like it didn't get updated properly. Looks like the Crash Free Bios it self crashed. LOL

Also for the flashing routing it self, I don't believe those Asus bios or flash programmer will go through the trouble writing a complex difficult "self modifying" code, its way too risky.

But now, we're talking a new flash type that is "probably" is not mature yet.

Look how that plain stupid AFUDOS utility get updated, it is too many revisions. That program supposed to be left untouch for a very long time since this flashing technology is so mature for mobo with flash chip. But on this new mobo, although I'm NOT claiming that I know everything inside it, just don't want to risk a thing after Hyper had been through, and believe he ain't noob on this kind of stuff. That's all. :D

After what happened to hyperasus' board I tried it last night and flashed to 0614 official hoping to make me oc better. Luckily i got a way with it, everything went fine. It posted but it wont do 465x7 again. now i'm back down to 372. Same settings. i shoulda stayed with the 0614 beta. This board got more issues than we thought. strange.. :bang head

hyper, did you get your board back?

Update.

After talking with greenmaji he suggested it could be the Ram voltage. So swapped out the Ram and sure enough it posted. Turns out that my TeamGroup memory doesnt like to boot at 1.8v. So all is good now. If this happens to anyone else all you have to do is pull one stick of ram and boot up, go in to the bios and turn up the vdimm, then re install the other stick of ram. I'm just glad to be back on a real mb. Didn't realize how crappy the P5W DH was until I got stuck using it again. Sorry for scaring everyone

Back