• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[New Poll]What kind of cooling do you use poll (2011)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What kind of cooling do you use poll (2011)

• Air cooling

Votes: 179 63.9%
  • Water cooling (Includes LCLC systems such as H50, H70, Antec Kuhler, etc)

Votes: 92 32.9%
  • Other cooling (please explain below)

Votes: 9 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a water addict now. Was fun squeezing performance out of air coolers though. So much easier to get good temps with water though. Plus I can push my OC way past what I could on air with better temps and it's nearly silent.

Anyone able to post the % of people that used water in '08, '09 and '10?

Those threads come up as being blocked here at work.

I know now that the H50/H70 are popular the results will be way off, mostly I'm curious about those years and to see how much "real" water cooling gained in percentage.

Boy, that might be hard to do. Few back then even considered it. Might be too much work. And it's just one forum of many, what if this forum had a large % of the early adopters while other forums didn't?

I started WC in 2008, about Feburary I think if you want to data it.

Maybe a new well constructed poll, what year/month did you BUILD your first WC rig. And then many early adopters aren't here any more. So data will be pretty unusable.

Dunno why it matters, it's still a TINY subset of PC users/builders/overclockers/modders/tinkerers. You figure how few in comparison to the HOME PC users out there. Small, but companies like DD and Swiftech are making decent coin I guess. Maybe enough to survive, who knows. Petras made enough to cover the business rent and most home food costs. Heck he was living at home. Was at the max 4 people. Remember his post it was sad, his stockers/mailers he had to let go. Then he sold it to Gary at Sidewinders last year.

Small, teeny % of the big picture.

Last edited:
I don't have time right now, but maybe in the next week or two I will get enough time to pull up the numbers from the previous polls and tack them on the lines with the links to the polls in the first post. Got to leave to go offshore in a couple of hours.

AIR ALL DAY LONG:) Unless you count the 8000 BTU AC I use to pump air in from time to time:rock: Still air, just real cold air.

Boy, that might be hard to do. Few back then even considered it. Might be too much work. And it's just one forum of many, what if this forum had a large % of the early adopters while other forums didn't?

I started WC in 2008, about Feburary I think if you want to data it.

Maybe a new well constructed poll, what year/month did you BUILD your first WC rig. And then many early adopters aren't here any more. So data will be pretty unusable.

Dunno why it matters, it's still a TINY subset of PC users/builders/overclockers/modders/tinkerers. You figure how few in comparison to the HOME PC users out there. Small, but companies like DD and Swiftech are making decent coin I guess. Maybe enough to survive, who knows. Petras made enough to cover the business rent and most home food costs. Heck he was living at home. Was at the max 4 people. Remember his post it was sad, his stockers/mailers he had to let go. Then he sold it to Gary at Sidewinders last year.

Small, teeny % of the big picture.

I was under the impression those other threads that I can't view were also polls. So it wouldn't have been any work at all since it would have listed the percentage of air/water right at the top like this one.

It matters because I'm curious about statistics like that, this poll thread exists because other people must also be curious ;)

Water is obviously on the rise in the enthusiast community, I've only been into PCs for ~6 years and when I built my first loop there was hardly any water hardware specifically made for computers. Now it's all over. Hence why I wanted to see what this sample of the enthusiast community looked like over time.

The links should now work, since I just updated them. iNet went and dropped the old ocforums domains, which broke the first 2 links.:rolleyes:

The links should now work, since I just updated them. iNet went and dropped the old ocforums domains, which broke the first 2 links.:rolleyes:

I missed the fix.

Interesting results though, 2008/09/10 are all right around ~20% on water. This year is currently showing 36%.

I would guess the proliferation of the new wave of "water cooling" H50's, H70's etc, skewed the results significantly though :(

I was using the Thermalright Venomous X but even with the screws not tightened all the way, my 3rd and 4th ram slots disappears in my Fatal1ty board. I'm not even using the so-called pressure plate of 70lbs. Hence I can't boot the pc when in dual channel. I can run my rams in the 1st and 2nd slot, but I'm wary about any longterm damage to the board. I'm now using the stock intel cooler and at stock speeds, which sucks.

I'm now deciding with a Prolimatech Super Mega or Noctua NH-D14. Does those two warp the board?

I was using the Thermalright Venomous X but even with the screws not tightened all the way, my 3rd and 4th ram slots disappears in my Fatal1ty board. I'm not even using the so-called pressure plate of 70lbs. Hence I can't boot the pc when in dual channel. I can run my rams in the 1st and 2nd slot, but I'm wary about any longterm damage to the board. I'm now using the stock intel cooler and at stock speeds, which sucks.

I'm now deciding with a Prolimatech Super Mega or Noctua NH-D14. Does those two warp the board?

chances are you did something wrong and were mounting the cooler wrong or the manufacturer did something wrong and it led to an improper mount. Both the megahalems and the d14 use high mounting pressure as well, so if it's a pressure thing, don't expect it to go away by switching coolers.

Air, cause I'm a noob.:p Also, while I would love to be able to keep my temps in the teens or twenties, I don't OC and 50-55 while gaming is perfectly acceptable for me. Running a coolermaster V8 in a thermaltake level10 GT with plenty of airflow.

Looks like water is making waves... oh the groans... this year. Typically see air around 75-80% with water around 20-25%. So far air is at 60% and water at 35%, also seeing exotic doubling it's average of 2% at 4%!

Air for me, though I've run water in the past, and it's fun to mess with. Air is just practically maintenance free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back