• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New rig has buzzing and freezing in games.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Versa

Registered
Hello all.

A few days ago I built a computer with these parts:

Case: Raidmax Vampire
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Formula VI
Power Supply: Corsair RM 750w
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance Pro DDR3 1866hz 16GB
Drive: Samsung EVO SSD 250GB
Graphics: EVGA Geforce GTX 780 Superclocked 3GB
Cooling: Corsair Hydro H80i
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Rx 7.1

The following has happened since first boot:

-The first time the power button was pressed, the system turned on for a few seconds, then turned off abruptly. It then turned itself back on and booted normally, and this issue hasn't appeared since.

-I set the memory's frequency to 1866 in the BIOS. However, CPU-Z tells me they're both running at 933.4, which I assume is 1866 divided in half because of the memory being dual channel.

-All games that I tried to play were choppy or would flicker rapidly in full screen. I searched and found two things: One, my motherboard's manual contradicts itself. It labels the PCIe ports as only one of them having 16x speed, and then on the same page it says they're all 16x. The BIOS said the card was running at 8x so I put the graphics card into the labelled 16x slot, but games still weren't running properly. The second solution was that the DPI scaling in Windows that increases text and icon size was conflicting with all of my games, so I set it back to normal and games worked properly.

I then gamed for the entirety of yesterday without any problems, in Chivalry, Battlefield 4, Assassin's Creed Black Flag, and SWTOR. Then today, this happened:

-I was playing Killing Floor and it was running smoothly, then it randomly hitched for a second. I shrugged it off. Then a few minutes later, it froze and all the sound turned into a loud buzz. I closed the program and tried to play Black Flag. It loaded without problems, and I played for about two minutes before the same freezing and buzzing sound returned. I guessed it was due to the new NVIDIA drivers and went to reinstall the previous version, doing a clean installation. When the screen went black as it usually does during these driver updates, it never returned. I had to force the system to power off. It rebooted fine but at a low resolution. I assume it removed the old drivers and couldn't install the new ones. I did the driver installation again and rebooted, and now it's working fine. I played Black Flag for about ten minutes smoothly, but twice it hitched again like it was going to freeze, so I quit.

What am I missing? I've built a few computers and haven't seen issues like this. I went to update the firmware on the SSD but it says it's the latest version. I'm about to attempt to update my BIOS because the GTX 780 came with a pamphlet that recommends doing so. One thing that I'm confused about is that I have an Unknown Device in my Device Manager. It says it's PCI bus 0, device 22, function 0 and that there's no drivers installed. I'm not sure what it is as I've updated everything in the rig. Could any of this have something to do with something I missed in the BIOS settings?

Your help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not going to try playing anything for the time being.

-The first time the power button was pressed, the system turned on for a few seconds, then turned off abruptly. It then turned itself back on and booted normally, and this issue hasn't appeared since.
Normal on first boot... you just put hardware in it...

-I set the memory's frequency to 1866 in the BIOS. However, CPU-Z tells me they're both running at 933.4, which I assume is 1866 divided in half because of the memory being dual channel.
Close! DDR = Double Data Rate. 933*2 = 1866

When the hitch/buzz happens what are your temps on HWMonitor?

The temperatures on the hardware haven't been in the danger zone. The CPU and motherboard are 84-86F, the graphics card is 89-93F. I'll play something and monitor if the problem occurs and what the temps are.

So I'm looking to update my motherboard's BIOS. I've never had to do this, but on their website it shows stability updates so I hope this will solve my problem. Again, it's very confusing and hard for me to narrow down what's happening because the computer has worked fine for days. Today's boot up is a different story.

Here is the page I'm looking at.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_FORMULA/#support

It says I'm supposed to update something BEFORE I install the processor I have. Can I get some clarification on what I'm supposed to do, exactly? I thought I'm supposed to download the most recent update and apply it.

Is that in the BIOS?

I wanted to see the temperatures using HWMonitor from the time the stuttering/hitching starts.
So leave HWMonitor open until it happens, take a screenshot, and post it here.

That's using AI Suite 3, the software that came with the motherboard. I've been playing Black Flag for twenty minutes without problems now, just waiting for the hitch to reappear. Here's the current temperatures while in-game. Any suggestions for updating the BIOS?

Attachments

• Temps3.png
    Temps3.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 173
Played Black Flag for a while and nothing happened. I don't understand why it's a random occurrence and not constant.

I already have programs that do those things. AI Suite 3 is the exact same as HWMonitor but with more features. And the drivers disc came with the ROG version of CPU-Z.

Just put the latest BIOS file on a USB thumb drive and flash the BIOS from within BIOS, it's the easiest and safest way. That board supported the 4770K from it's inception, so I'm not sure why you're seeing to flash the BIOS before installing the CPU.

Once the flash is done, go into BIOS and make sure the memory voltage and timings are set correctly by either setting them manually or using the XMP profile.

That's using AI Suite 3, the software that came with the motherboard. I've been playing Black Flag for twenty minutes without problems now, just waiting for the hitch to reappear. Here's the current temperatures while in-game. Any suggestions for updating the BIOS?

This still tells nothing about the GPU.

How about just running HWMonitor for long enough to troubleshoot, since its what 90% of people on this site know, trust, and are used to?
Seriously, I don't trust any of the crap that comes with motherboards, its junk.

Yes, hwmonitor is going to be more reliable than bundled software. CPUz is also very useful and you should be using it.

Don't think it's reliable? What does hwbot, the official scoreboard for benchmarks, use for proof of scores? CPUz and GPUz.

Back