• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New rig, last check before I buy it :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, we can't even do that over here. There's no prices no nothing on any dutch website.

It seems to be the case that only in a non-gaming setting that the 8700K is stronger than its predecessors. I think I might just go for the 7700k build so I spend less money and have it way earlier.

There is probably going to be a 10% or so improvement in gaming because the per core performance is better than Skylake. And you will see more and more games as time goes on that can utilize more than four threads.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/intel/intel-coffee-lake-vs-kaby-lake

It looks like the CL i5k will probably perform on a level with the Skylake i7k on apps that are heavily multi-threaded.

But in your situation availability may be more of an issue than it is for us here. Even in the US, some of the Coffee Lake CPUs are on backorder now.

Last edited:
Id wait it out for a week or two personally.

Hey ED,

The point is though that I don't have a PC right now because my CPU died and my SSD fried. I needed something fast. If this CL is gonna take weeks or months then I can't wait that long. If I'm not able to order anything by tomorrow then I think I'm going for the 7700K. Even pre-order would be fine so I at least know I got my stuff coming in for example two weeks. But I don't want to just wait and hope for something that may not come within a week or two.

There is probably going to be a 10% or so improvement in gaming because the per core performance is better than Skylake. And you will see more and more games as time goes on that can utilize more than four threads.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/intel/intel-coffee-lake-vs-kaby-lake

It looks like the CL i5k will probably perform on a level with the Skylake i7k on apps that are heavily multi-threaded.

But in your situation availability may be more of an issue than it is for us here. Even in the US, some of the Coffee Lake CPUs are on backorder now.

Yeah. I also don't really play high-end games or new games that come out. I play CS:GO every night and that's 90% of my gaming.

Edit:

They updating now and putting up prices, just pre ordered the i7 8700K. I'm impulsive like that.

Now I need to see what kind of motherboard I need... ya'll got any ideas?

Last edited:
Hey ED,

The point is though that I don't have a PC right now because my CPU died and my SSD fried. I needed something fast. If this CL is gonna take weeks or months then I can't wait that long. If I'm not able to order anything by tomorrow then I think I'm going for the 7700K. Even pre-order would be fine so I at least know I got my stuff coming in for example two weeks. But I don't want to just wait and hope for something that may not come within a week or two.

Yeah. I also don't really play high-end games or new games that come out. I play CS:GO every night and that's 90% of my gaming.

Edit:

They updating now and putting up prices, just pre ordered the i7 8700K. I'm impulsive like that.

Now I need to see what kind of motherboard I need... ya'll got any ideas?

Goed gedaan! :clap:

miniITX has some limitations (VRMs, DDR slots) and usually launch a few months after CPU.

Micro ATX have all the bells and whistles of an ATX board.

Wow okay ^^

Anyway, is there a significant disadvantage, besides less RAM slots, less USB ports, less SATA ports to a micro ATX/mini ITX?

IDk what you want from us as far as what MB . The reviews are not out yet . On the size pick that one that fits in your case .

With z170/z270 Cheep vs expensive mb did not make much of a difference with ambient cooling .

But we will see once the NDA lifts

IDk what you want from us as far as what MB . The reviews are not out yet . On the size pick that one that fits in your case .

With z170/z270 Cheep vs expensive mb did not make much of a difference with ambient cooling .

But we will see once the NDA lifts

Same goes since Sandy bridge/P67.

Get the one with the faeatures you need. I bet the Asrock Z370 Extreme4-m will do the job ;)

Edit: oops, not out yet, but there is the extrame 4 itx.
https://www.cowcotland.com/news/596...z370m-itx-ac-fatal1ty-z370-gaming-itx-ac.html

Last edited:
Thanks a lot everyone.

A roundup will be published on anandtech tomorrow. ;)

That'll be lovely. I'm interested to see if the cheaper motherboards will support an NVMe SSD like the Samsung 960 EVO. I'm kinda new to that tech.

So now I'm at:

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass [Black Edition]
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370-HD3P
Processor: Intel Core i7-8700K
Cooler: Cryorig H7
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @ 2400 MHz
Graphics Card: MSI GTX970 TwinFrozr @ 1214/1853 MHz [stock] [Load: 59°]
Solid State Drive: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2

Last edited:
Back