• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New rig. Need a few answers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bardock

Hey guys,
After a while I decided to build up a new rig consisting of the following:
i7 4770k
Asus Maximus VI Formula
EVGA GTX 770 w/ ACX Cooler (4gb)
Crucial Ballistix Tracer 8gb@1600MHz
Samsung 840 EVO 128gb
Corsair 600T Graphite White
PSU - The one on my signature
Cooling - Custom loop, will elaborate on this later on the thread

Now, I really wanted to buy this stuff from Newegg but they do not ship outside of USA. I live in Greece as you can see in my info. I'm thinking of buying them from Amazon or any other shop you could suggest me in order to find them cheaper, because here they sell the 4770k at 320€ when I can find it via PCPartsPicker, at 257€ including shipping!!!!!!:eek: So my questions are the following:

1) Is Amazon ok to buy my stuff? I have seen in threads many people complaining that they would get bad stuff some times or get different things than what they had ordered.

2)Regarding the loop: I'm thinking of buying the XSPC Raystorm CPU waterblock, is that still the best around? And i'm also thinking of buying the XSPC GTX 770 waterblock for my card. Should I go for that or for the nickel one from EK? For pump i'll be getting the Swiftech MC35x and Monsoon reservoir. By the way, is the MOSFET waterblock that comes with the Formula trustable to add it to the loop?

Thx in advance
PS.: This build is for gaming, 3D designing and experimenting purposes.

Last edited:
Can't offer too much help on the water cooling stuff, but honestly I would stay away from amazon, at least for major parts. I got a DOA motherboard from Amazon and it set me back almost a month to ship it back to ASUS to get fixed.

Unless you are doing massive renders, the i5 will only take a bit longer. i7s are pointless for gaming; i5s will equal or better their performance in most games at a significantly lower price. I love Amazon, but usually use Newegg for PC component purchases...until I found out some of Newegg's dirty secrets. Amazon for life, I guess.

Unless you are doing massive renders, the i5 will only take a bit longer. i7s are pointless for gaming; i5s will equal or better their performance in most games at a significantly lower price. I love Amazon, but usually use Newegg for PC component purchases...until I found out some of Newegg's dirty secrets. Amazon for life, I guess.

I saw that thread about Newegg as well :p. I live in Greece though and they do not ship anywhere outside of US. As long as the CPU goes, I'm aware of the i5 - i7 situation and choise, thx for mentioning though :). But Idk what to believe. Many people say they experienced problems with Amazon, like DeafHeavn above, others don't :confused:

For the water loop, create a thread in the WC section...

For your parts list, ditch the ASUS MVIF and get a cheaper board. Unless you plan on using extreme cooling methods (Dry Ice, LN2).

I've had nothing but good experience with Amazon over the years. I can't speak for international shipping, but here in the states it has been flawless. I've never received a DOA part, but Amazon's return policy should let you ship it back, immediately get refunded, and then re-order if you're so inclined. You don't always have to go through the RMA process from the manufacturer.

Every retailer (online or not) is going to have people that have bad experiences. Generally, though, the people that have bad experiences are more likely to complain and speak out than those who have good experiences.

I see.. Ok ty guys alot. I'll be picking my parts from amazon then. I'll be creating a thread at the WC section about my loop. Thx a lot :)

Back