• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Rig Not Powering Up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JM24

Registered
Hi all, I recently built this computer. http://pcpartpicker.com/user/JM24/saved/2iO8 This was my first build so it is very possible I screwed something up. Honestly, the whole process has been kind of deflating, problem after problem.

Anyway, last night I finally booted it up. It booted fine to the BIOS with only a CPU fan error. Due to me forgetting things I had to open the case and turn it back on a couple of more times. I noticed that sometimes when I turned it on it would act like it was powering up, shut down again quickly (before the bios even had time) and restart itself. It would then be fine.

Tonight I installed Windows 8, installed drivers, etc and had to shut down to connect the side fan (forgot to plug it back in). When it booted back up it did it again (acted like it was powering on, shut down real fast, and powered back on again). This time because Windows was loaded, 8 said it didn't shut down correctly and had to check for problems. After it was done, Windows 8 rebooted the machine. Low and behold now it is stuck in a loop where it won't power on. Push the power button = power up, down, up, down, up, down. This all happens fairly quickly, the bios doesn't have time to load. Once in a while (I wasn't letting it do this too much for fear of damaging something) it would actually boot. Once booted it would reach the windows check again and fail on the reboot.

I am at a loss here. The only thing I can thing of is that one of the power connections isn't right, but I know the two major ones going into the mobo are in the right spot. Any ideas?

Also: The motherboard stays powered on the entire time during all of this rebooting.

Edit: May have fixed the issue but I could definitely use some feedback to verify.

On the motherboard there are places for reset ground, ground p+ led , etc etc
I used the little helper connector piece that came with the MOBO to connect those. I'm sure you all know what I am talking about, but it is the piece that lets you plug all those connectors into it first and then you plug that, as one solid, block into the motherboard. I noticed that the connectors didn't fit very snugly into that piece so I took them out of the piece and plugged them into the motherboard individually.

Anyone know if any of those could have been causing the problem? It was almost like the power button was being pushed over and over.

Edit: I just keep thinking that if it was a problem with the PSU then I would have had some issues with it while it was running. Once it boots up it is completely fine though. I just can't figure out what would cause it to keep rebooting like that (after a legitimate reboot) Again, after it booted it up it ran fine and only rebooted once it was told.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could have indeed been a short on the power switch, what you are explaining could have definately been caused by that, I never use them headers to connect the buttons personally, if it happens again check to make sure the board isn't shorting out on a motherboard standoff (the things you screw the motherboard to) as there underneath the board and can sometimes get forgot about and end up in the wrong places.... Glad its working now though :thup:

Thanks Keny! The more I am reading the more I think it was a short on one of those switches because of that damned connector. I had my doubts about that thing from the start, but I was so nervous about putting things in the wrong place that I decided to go for it.

"For troubleshooting purposes, disconnect the reset switch. If it is shorted, the machine either will not POST at all, or it will endlessly reboot.
The paperclip trick on the power switch leads can be used to verify if these lines are shorted (or open). If they are shorted, the usual symptom is the PC will power on for 4-5 seconds, then shut down again.
If the system powers on long enough for LEDs to flash and fans to flicker, then shuts off, this symptom suggests a short-circuit somewhere. This is one reason why disconnecting all non-essential components (even the drives) to try for a POST is useful. Be aware that a disconnected GPU will usually shriek to complain of insufficient power. If your mobo has it, use onboard video for initial testing."

I'm not sure what the paper clip trick is, but that was definitely the symptoms I was experiencing. I guess only time will tell at this point since I have not been able to recreate the issue.

A quick and simple way is to take off the Q Connector and just short out the 2 pins on the Motherboard to start the PC. But make sure in your manual that you have the correct 2 pins, before you short them out. If your PC starts and boots up normal, then its the Q Connector and you have your wires crossed. If you have a start button on the motherboard try using that instead of the front panel button.

The only 2 other reasons are as described by Keny, bad shorts on the Stand off's or a short on the bracket for the After market Cooler if your using one of those!!

And i think the worst of all that would cause that kind of Problem is "BENT PINS IN THE CPU SOCKET" so you have your check list the rest is now up to you.

Please come back to the Forum and let us know how you managed and if you did get your PC running properly??? :shrug: ;)

Regards,

AJ.

That made me think of something actually. For the Kraken 60 cooler I installed, it required a back panel to go on the back of the MOBO. To keep it there while you screwed it in, they suggested using double sided tape. Is there anything on the back of the mobo that tape could screw with?

The installation in the front was pretty straight forward. 4 thumb screws, not sure where I could have shorted it there.

Edit: I should have worded that better. It required a back bracket, that had push pins that you screwed into from the front. I didn't "screw" anything into the back of the mobo. That tape may have covered some of the bumps on the back of the mobo though. Also, instead of using double sided tape, they actually provided a sticky pad which I ended up using.

Oh and sorry for the stupid question, but how do you short out the pins?

I would check to see if you have that mounted properly the right way round?? Tape wont hurt anything its just if the CPU pins are touching the bracket that would cause a problem!!

Just concentrate on one thing at a time, don't jump from one to another, that does not help you!! You must be through and methodical in what you do that's all.

Shorting out the power switch pins is simple, all you need to do is get a screwdriver and touch the two pins marked pwr+ and pwr- making a circuit between them, there's usually a red coloured box under the pins, that will make the pc turn on, just short the pins and then lift the screwdriver away, basically its just doing what your power button would do but your doing it with a screwdriver lol

Turns out those connectors weren't the problem. To troubleshoot I completely rebuilt this thing. I took everything but the PSU out and started from scratch.

-Checked the motherboard for damage and made sure it was sitting on the stoppers correctly.

-Re-installed the liquid cooler, making sure it was set correctly.

-Checked the CPU for bent pins.

-Re-connected everything and made sure the connections were tight

-Verified no wires were running behind the mother board.

-Verified the mobo wasn't touching anything that could cause a short circuit.

Once again on the first power up it failed - tried again and booted up. I went to load up windows 8 , got the "Your PC has a problem and needs to be restarted" and when it restarted it got caught in the loop again. Up/ Down/ Up / Down. Mobo stays on the whole time, fans power up and power off. The codes on the Mobo LCD don't seem to be indicating a problem.

I guess my next step will be trying to power it bare bones without the GPU and then without RAM. I need to sleep some first lol. This really sucks. Right now I am basically the owner of a $2500 paper weight.

Edit: Also, to verify it wasn't those switches, I powered it on using the "Power" button on the Mobo. It powered on fine, but upon reboot it got stuck in the loop again.

I tried a few more things to no avail

- Switched the RAM to different slots
-Tried booting with one stick

-Disconnected non essential connections
-Disconnected the GPU
-Disconnected the HDs but one.

Still happens. Usually (not always) on the initial power-ups it is fine, but it is almost guaranteed on a reset to do this.

-CPU temperature is hanging around 27 C

It almost feels like this is a BIOS problem.

You might be on to something! Just saw this from googling

"

Home Brew veteran++ (Legacy)
a b V

Hello!

I recently put a new sig togeather and at first everything seeemed to be fine, however the computer began to fail at boot-up (looping on and off).

After contacting Gigabyte about the issue, I was told that it may be the RAM timings are not set correctly. After messing around in BIOS I noticed he was right, the modules are operating at 1.5v (9-9-9-24) instead of the advertised 1.65v (9-9-9-27)."

1. I didn't update the BIOS

2. Definitely not, I'm not even sure how to do that.

First thing then I would update the bios . There are a few ways to do this ( Dl the file put it on a usb drive or use the Asus software to update. )

Then when you go into your bios in the Ez section there is a drop down menu for ram goto XMP profile 1 .

Can you post a SS of the Main tab on CPUz as well as the memory and spd tabs .

You might be on to something! Just saw this from googling

Hello!

I recently put a new sig togeather and at first everything seeemed to be fine, however the computer began to fail at boot-up (looping on and off).

After contacting Gigabyte about the issue, I was told that it may be the RAM timings are not set correctly. After messing around in BIOS I noticed he was right, the modules are operating at 1.5v (9-9-9-24) instead of the advertised 1.65v (9-9-9-27)."

Ahh I'm getting excited, if that turns out to be the problem I am sending you a gift card or something.

The safest way to up date your Bios is to do it from a USB Flash Drive or try from downloading from the Net. Just download the Bios update from the Web Site on another PC and then up date your motherboard using the Flash Drive.

1, http://www.ehow.com/how_5175387_use-flash-drive-update-bios.html

Have a look at above if you feel it is too much or to advanced, then seek help from a local PC Shop etc. If for a few Dollars they would update it for you, "NEVER TRY THIS IF YOUR NOT SURE". You can easly brick your Bios and so your motherboard!!

Regards,

AJ.

Back