• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

qwerty4030

Registered
new rig (UPDATED 3/08)

alright thanks guys this is my new hardware list so far:
$240 Q6600 OEM i WILL overclock if i get the q6600(if the q9450 isnt worth it)
$ 60 ZALMAN CNPS9700 same as 9500 but with higher rpm/bigger fan and led right? so it should be good for overclokcing the 6600 if it get it? im getting AS5
$270 EVGA 8800GTS i might step up if the 9 series somehow turns out better
$ 90 GIGABYTE P35-DS3L not sure on this mobo, but it looks good...will everything be compatible with this? how good is it for overclocking?
$ 85 gskill 2x2gb pc6400 should i get the pc8000 since its 2x2gb or is 4x1pc6400 better?
$130 Corsair 620hx (with google checkout discount)
$ 70 Seagate 250GB 7200.10 ST3250410AS
$ 50 Saitek Eclipse
$120 Antec 900 or Centurion 5 i like the 900 more for the airflow and leds. but i love the 5's simplicity and style(and price).
$ 30 samsung 203b DVD burner dont really need anything crazy here, ill use my old pc to copy/burn stuff, or just take an extra dvd drive from it.
$320 Samsung 2253BW 22" how much better is this 22" widescreen (games, photoshop, other apps..) then the others like Acer and Chimei?
$1505 Sub Total
$1665 Total with shipping($30), taxes($125)
-$75 MIR = $30(evga) + $20(samsung) + $25(corsair)
$1590 GRAND TOTAL
i think thats all.. i already have a mx518 thats great. so if i missed anything, or something isnt compatible please let me know. technically i can spend up to 2k but i really want to keep it as low as possible while getting some of the best:)
thanks again for your help guys
edit-also heres the newegg pic incase i added something wrong...

oops posted in old thread.. meh i guess htis works too.

THIS WAS THE RIG I WAS GOING TO BUY ORGINALLY
--------------------------------------------------------------
building a pc from scratch so i have to get everything new. $1700-1800 MAX
not buying a sound system right now.

SPECS:
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L
Corsair 620HX
e6750
evga 8800gtx
Seagate 250GB ST3250410AS
2gb Crucial 4-4-4
CHIMEI 22"
Centurion 5
Saitek Eclipse
MX518
LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner
Total: $1750.71 - $110 MIR = $1640.71 (shipping included)

everything is from newegg cept the psu(clubit.com)
not sure about the dvd drives, might just buy the burner...
did i forget anything/have enough cables?
do you guys think i need an extra case fan?

mostly gona use this for gaming(1680 x 1050) in win xp32, waiting till more stuff gets compatible with vista...

thanks for your help guys:attn:

Last edited:
hmm is 4gb worth it if im still gona be running xp32? i usually dont run 20 programs at once either...that hd looks good, is this the same one? whats the main differences between DiamondMax 21 and 7200.10?

You cant even run 4 gbs in 32bit xp.. Go for 2 gbs and a 320 seagate perp drive. The extra 20 dollars will be worth it.

I'd really avoid maxtor drives. At all costs. Even after they were bought by Seagate. especially that maxtor/seagate rebadged stuff.

anywho:
Upgrade the p35-ds3l to a p35-ds3r. you get double the SATA ports, RAID support (intel ICH9R SB), among some other benefits. considering your budget, I'd definitely spend more on a mobo.

upgrade the 520HX to a 620HX, but save money while you're at it by buying elsewhere. ClubIT has the 620HX for $110 AR: http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=CA6200027

Don't change your hard drive choice. those drives are perfect; the new revision 7200.10 250GB drives perform better, and have a single platter w/higher density. they are also slimmer, hence are easier to cool

excellent crucial memory (I have it as well), great case (I also have that), awesome keyboard depending on how much youre paying for it (I just bought that), and a very good gaming mouse (been using mine for over a year)

as for the dvd drives, I'd personally get one IDE and one SATA burner. the best IDE dvd burner is a pioneer 112d. for SATA, i'd get a samsung sh-s183l or lite-on lh-20A1s.

overall build: :thup::thup:

thanks shirker.
the p35-ds3r looks nice, but the only feature that will be useful to me are the extra sata ports, and even then im only gona use 2 or 3 max. not going to use raid either...seems like waste of 35 bucks.
i dont want to upgrade this pc until i have to play on low/med settings on newer games so i want to buy parts that fit my requirments, but dont go overboard and waste money(since i wont be buying in a while). im kinda trying to make this a budget rig but top of the line at the same time.
also is the 620hx needed? the 520hx reviews on newegg had alot of ppl with 8800gtx gpus and no problems...and some ppl are running 8800gtx in sli with the 620hx...
i like those dvd burners alot thanks again

qwerty4030 said:
also is the 620hx needed? the 520hx reviews on newegg had alot of ppl with 8800gtx gpus and no problems...and some ppl are running 8800gtx in sli with the 620hx...
it's not needed, per se, but getting the 620HX gives you quite a bit more room to upgrade to faster and more power hungry parts in the future. The 620HX is usually more expensive than the 520HX, but when you can get it for the price of a 520HX, it's a sensible upgrade IMO

ah makes sense... i just thought about blueray and hddvd, so i will probably get those for my pc when the drives come out and maybe another hd later down the road. ill just get one dvd burner since im going to use my older pc for copying discs.
should i just get an ide burner instead to save the sata slot?
updated my original post.

Last edited:
it depends on what you're planning for storage/media. If you'll only have one HDD and one disc drive, SATA for both is fine, since your motherboard has 4. If you're starting with 2 HDDs and plan to upgrade sometime, then yes I'd definitely get an IDE burner, since current IDE burners are about as good as it gets, and the older interface shouldn't have any impact on the drive performance, unless you've got 2 or 3 IDE drives reading/writing at once. as it is now, with you getting one hard drive and one disc drive with plans to get a blu-ray or hd dvd drive later, I'd personally get a SATA drive as long as you don't intend to add more hard drives later

thanks, ill get the sata one then. do you guys think the e6750 will eb a bottleneck for the 8800gtx? if so how much and what would be the best plan to upgrade down the road(vid card first? or processor?)

I'm getting a 900 as well, just waiting for a sale... it goes for $50-$60.

buy.com has the PSU for cheaper

Also I like dell monitors for some reason, but whatever you like...

a different 8800GTS but with better deal, use code vgax15x (expires today)

I would definitely stay away from chimei, one of my friends has 2 22" wide screen monitors. They started to mess up and he couldn't rma them to the original company because they don't speak english (I think he said vietnamese but i'm not sure). I like acer but I'm pretty sure that Samsung is supposed to be of higher quality, but I never noticed the difference.

I know you've had numerous DVD burner suggestions but the Samsung 203b is hands down the best burner for the money.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151153
I have a Lite-On LH-20A1L in my computer also, it was the 1st burner I bought, and its a good drive but when I burn a DVD I use the Samsung unit. Its cheaper also. After making a ton of coasters with the Lite-On its rare when using the 203b.
The Corsair 520HX is a great PSU. A little cheaper at Club It.
http://www.clubit.com/product_browse.cfm?cat=Power Supplies&scat1=501W-600W&scat2=CORSAIR

thanks guys.. that helps alot.
GT3mich- that samsung looks great, and its cheaper...ill take it! thanks
Sofaism - that gts is sold out :(
Th3 F4ll3n P1mp - ya i think your right, if i overclock the quad its gona take alot more power, and i found the 620hx for like 100 at buy.com
knight_of_knee- ya im not too sure on which one, the acer is cheaper tho. maybe some one use can help me out? what panels do these 2 monitors use, and whats the difference?
alot i updated my original post

I don't have details on the panels of the monitors but I know Samsung is definitely top notch. I own 4 Sammy monitors each of which have no dead pixels, the most vivid picture of any other monitor I have used, and worked from day one.

Samsung uses the same LCD panel as Sony I believe.

Back