• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I heard tigerdirect owns/bought compusa?

don't know about fastest and customer service

ya that monitor for less than 200 is a steal... if i find one ill update my list.
im hoping to purchase all my hardware this weekend or next week.
The last things that are bothering me are the ram (is pc64000 fast enough for the 2x2gb when i overclock?),
and the hard drive (i looked at the same model but 320gb and all 3 of the first reviews had failed hd's, and some failed hd's on the 250gb model.)
last thing is that im pretty much decided on the q6600 and overclocking it to be faster than the q9450. will my mobo,ram, and heatsink allow this? (at least 3.2ghz)
so unless there is a really good reason i should wait for the q9450 speak up now or forever hold your silence:)

and the hard drive (i looked at the same model but 320gb and all 3 of the first reviews had failed hd's, and some failed hd's on the 250gb model.)
I understand your concern. I've bought from both Seagate and WD and have had problems with both. I have 3 Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB HDD's in my computer right now. They are nice drives but I had to RMA one of them. It was DOA. I would still buy them but I think I'm going to start burning more DVD's so I don't lose any images.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148140

ya i think ill go with the 250gb. the last 2 weeks for reviews for the 320gb has 33% 3 eggs and under, while the 250gb had only 12%. 250gb is more than enough anyways since my older pc will keep the space hungry files.
another question: since the psu is mounted on the bottom of the antec 900 the heat should still be dissipated properly?, or even better because the heat flows up? (and into the vid card :( )

You shouldn't have any heat problems with the Antec 900. The 120mm fan in the PSU will take care of any heat it generates and the 120mm fan on the back of the case will get rid of the heat from the CPU.

updates some parts/prices
i decided on a newer/better monitor. the 2253 supports hdcp can can display 4:3 video without streching. (some ratio control option)
also the evga 8800gts is the same price as that bfg so i went with the evga just in case i need to step up...

Everyone else has focused on other parts of your build, so I'll advise you on your choice of CPU heatsink.

Zalman makes an extremely high quality product. Their attention to detail is top-notch, and their models are beautiful. I bought a 9700 NT because I loved the way it looked and I wanted a green light to match my green theme in my case. Unfortunately, it simply couldn't deal with the heat of my Opteron 170. I ended up removing the heat spreader of my chip, but doing so meant mounting the 9700NT impossible. I had to go with a bolt-down style heatsink, so I'm now using a Big Typhoon that is compatible with me de-lidded chip. If I could use the 9700NT on a de-lidded proc, I would.

The 9700 simply isn't as good a performer as many other sinks out there, especially for the money. The 9700 is priced beyond its performance. If you're going for looks, then in my opinion the 9700 is the best-looking unit on the market. If you're going for ultimate heat dissipation and overclocking, however, there are much better heatsinks out their for your money.

hmm thanks for the info.
i dont think i am gona delid my proc... at least not yet.
most of the reviews i have seen have placed the zalman 9700 in the top 3/5.
imo:
zaleman: - led matches case leds
-looks cool
-in stock at newegg
-doesnt need extra fan
-smaller than other type of cooling (ultra 120, all those big tower coolers....)

with that note a am ready to buy my parts in the next hour or 2. so if anybody has an final comments please post them.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP GUYS
p.s. i will post pics once the stuff gets shipped and i put it together.

updates some parts/prices
i decided on a newer/better monitor. the 2253 supports hdcp can can display 4:3 video without streching. (some ratio control option)
also the evga 8800gts is the same price as that bfg so i went with the evga just in case i need to step up...
Good choice on the monitor.
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2273768,00.asp
I have a 19in Samsung and its sweet.
As for the Heat sink, I have this cooling my Q6600.
35-106-102-02.jpg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106102
Idle temps are around 38 c with the processsor oc'd to 3.15. At $44.99 its a good deal.

Back