• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scrub206

ok im building a new gaming rig, and i know im going way over board with this build but this is pretty much what im looking at:

CASE: Corsair Series 600T SE
MOBO: Asus P8Z68
CPU: i7-2600k OC'd
Cooler: Corsair H80
GPU: 2x MSI 2GB 6950's unlocked to 6970's
SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 (feel safe with the new FW update)
HDD: 1TB WD Black - Expensive as hell right now =/
RAM: 8GB G.skill 1600 DDR3
PSU: Corsair HX850
CD/DVD: Asus 24x DVD burner

This is going to support 3 monitors @ 5760x1080 in eyefinity. It should be good to go but if anyone has any suggestions please feel free to post. I really just need someone to look it over and double check everything before i go ahead and order next weekend.

EDIT: UPDATED!

Last edited:
1600 DDR3 shouldn't be much more expensive, may as well go for that stuff. Otherwise, looks like a nice system. No floppy drive? lol..

i should get a floppy drive, shouldnt i..... ADD THAT TO THE LIST! xD and thanks ill take a look at the 1600 ramz

EDIT: Updated RAM in OP

I would get the Corsair Carbide 500R in White its $30 cheaper and looks cleanrr (to me)
with the money saved I would upgrade to the Corsair H100

+1 I would get better ram
Edit
-1 for Floppy drive If you REALLY need one (and I cant see how you do) Get a USB drive so you can throw it in the closet.

Also the 2700k is only $50 more on newegg so why not imo

Also the 2700k is only $50 more on newegg so why not imo

From what I've heard (a lot of it from the benching team too), the 2700Ks do NOT OC any further then the 2600K's on average, the extra $50 is just a waste of money.

Getting an unlockable 6950 is extremely hard now, AMD now ships revised boards without the revision. Your best chances seem to either be getting an MSI Twin Frozr II (MSI wrote their own custom BIOS for it to unlock) or a Sapphire card (some still come with the original BIOS since they're really closely related to AMD).

I've never been a fan of Corsair cases. They're nice and they have a lot of features, but IMO they just cost a bit more then they're worth. Plus since you're going dual GPUs, I'd just go with a full tower since bigger case = more air = harder to heat up said volume of air. Cooler Master HAF932 is a great choice, NZXT Phantom is slightly smaller and cheaper, also comes in that nice white color. :thup:

Flooding in Thailand is why the HDD prices are through the roof, at this point I'd go Hitachi as they're the cheapest drives from a company that I really, really trust.

With the custom WC units, they're pretty underwhelming until you get to the H80. I'd stick to an air heatsink, probably a Thermalright MUX120. If you really want one of those Corsair Hydro kits, go with the H80 as it's price matches it's performance very well. Overkill for Sandy Bridge, since it doesn't produce much heat.

You can probably run that entire system off a quality 750W too. Corsair is an excellent choice. :thup:

From what I've heard (a lot of it from the benching team too), the 2700Ks do NOT OC any further then the 2600K's on average, the extra $50 is just a waste of money.

Getting an unlockable 6950 is extremely hard now, AMD now ships revised boards without the revision. Your best chances seem to either be getting an MSI Twin Frozr II (MSI wrote their own custom BIOS for it to unlock) or a Sapphire card (some still come with the original BIOS since they're really closely related to AMD).

I've never been a fan of Corsair cases. They're nice and they have a lot of features, but IMO they just cost a bit more then they're worth. Plus since you're going dual GPUs, I'd just go with a full tower since bigger case = more air = harder to heat up said volume of air. Cooler Master HAF932 is a great choice, NZXT Phantom is slightly smaller and cheaper, also comes in that nice white color. :thup:

Flooding in Thailand is why the HDD prices are through the roof, at this point I'd go Hitachi as they're the cheapest drives from a company that I really, really trust.

With the custom WC units, they're pretty underwhelming until you get to the H80. I'd stick to an air heatsink, probably a Thermalright MUX120. If you really want one of those Corsair Hydro kits, go with the H80 as it's price matches it's performance very well. Overkill for Sandy Bridge, since it doesn't produce much heat.

You can probably run that entire system off a quality 750W too. Corsair is an excellent choice. :thup:

I would agree they don't overclocker better on average however the 2700 is a better binned 2600 so you should be able to overclock bette rthen average.

I do however disagree on the case comment you get what you pay for and any of the higher end corsair cases will be great for many builds. I suggested the other one based on his selection of a white case otherwise i would have suggested a 650D for a mid tower thats as big as most ful towers..
However I'm not a price performance kinda guy

+1 on Hitcahi drives I have 15 2TB Hitachi drivers in one of my servers and they rock

The benchers have proved otherwise. :shrug: i7-930s didn't overclock any better then i7-920s did last generation either, despite being "higher binned".

The benchers have proved otherwise. :shrug: i7-930s didn't overclock any better then i7-920s did last generation either, despite being "higher binned".

Yeah my understanding was just on "average" it will be abetter chip. But Intel is not bin testing at 5ghz I bet.

As I said I'm not a price performance guy for the $50 I would just get the newer chip myself

i thought you were able to with most 6950 :x so i guess ill go with MSI or Sapphire then.

I checked out the NXZT phantom and i didnt like it to much. idk, just dont like the look. if i WERE to ever get a phantom i would 100% go with the Phantom Pink :D

is this what you were talking about? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145533

and the reason why im going with an h70 is because all other heatsinks im afraid will interfere with my RAM slots and video cards ;o;

Also would i be safe with either of these cards?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102929
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127588

Last edited:
I actually recommend the MSI Twin Frozr II a lot, as it's a GREAT aftermarket cooler, effective and quiet. :thup:

Wow, hard drive prices are changing every day. Based on the prices, I'd get the 500GB Hitachi or Samsung drives now...these prices are just insane.

The H80 is cheaper and better performing then the H70. A MUX120 probably won't block your RAM slots, I doubt any heatsink would hit the video card.

I actually recommend the MSI Twin Frozr II a lot, as it's a GREAT aftermarket cooler, effective and quiet. :thup:

Wow, hard drive prices are changing every day. Based on the prices, I'd get the 500GB Hitachi or Samsung drives now...these prices are just insane.

The H80 is cheaper and better performing then the H70. A MUX120 probably won't block your RAM slots, I doubt any heatsink would hit the video card.

on my girlfriends rig her heatsink was leaning against the video card so we had to move it to the second PCI-e slot =/ i cant remember the name off the top of my head but yeah i worry now xD. lemme check out the H80

EDIT: the H80 is $20 more then the H70 but ive cut a few dollars out that i can afford this xD

for some reason i was reading H70 and thinking of the H60 that i have in my OP.. lol the H60 is 73 and the H80 is 93

Yeah, that should be about right. It's worth the $20 though. H60 doesn't perform any better then air but costs more.

So i just got told that i would need a larger PSU for my rig. i dont really think i do. i think 850w should be enough for everything... Am I wrong? :x

Shouldn't need an extension, I've gotten that wire to fit in a much larger case with a bit of elbow grease.

Also, I know I've mentioned this before, but $190 for a case...:shrug:.

my current case is the antec 902 and i cant connect the wire with out going across the MOBO i wanna go behind it.

I routed the CPU power of an AX750 behind the motherboard tray of a 902 literally two weeks ago.

If you already have a 902, why not use it? Or do you want two seperate rigs?

Back