• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Server build / Home business

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
quick update:
sorry, on some aspects i'm not being clear. i can't ask advice, then not say exactly what i was talking about...my bad.
in the office, everyone is hard wired in.
at times, my dad will remote in for data (not a lot)
i haven't given up on the idea of going Intel, i just have to get a complete AMD build first, because it gets real confusing, real quick. i already posted a mistake "3600" vs "3200".

i just got off the phone with ASUS. i also just learned a B550 is the current chipset, not the X570. i know, noob here.
ASUS suggested the TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AND it also works with their ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 graphics card. now, i know, i know, that was a new idea. but when i called him, he did like the idea of having that card in there for 4 monitor support, in case he decides to use it now, or maybe in 6 months. at $60, it's a no brainer to have it. but taking the concern if it would work, i did double check, call, and get the confirmation it will plug into the pci 4.0 spot and it backwards compatible.

i know i'm the noob here, but so far, i really love the suggestions and even though this is a little bit more hardware that i "should" need, that's not a concern. keep in mind, what ever i build, it will be 10 years (lmao) before he calls me again, to do this all over again. upgrading in a few years, actually is a pain and he doesn't mess with computers and relays on some knuckhead noob that will over charge him for a $5 part.

an option i was going over with him, was to make sure his current rig (which he loves) can also replace his "server" if needed. i'm sure i need to add more ram to it, and maybe a HD or 2. but i WAY over built it then, with all this in mind. believe me, i had to explain to him that he CAN install new ram modules!

anyways, i want to say thank you for all the help so far! it's been great and you are really helping me bounce down the lane! lol!

Some points of clarification.

X570 is the mainstream chipset for AMD. B550 is the 'budget' chipset. It is newer, but X570 is, in general more robust and offers more features. Either will work... B550 will be cheaper and offers 2.5 GbE. But again you are losing video redundancy AND you don't have Wi-Fi on that board (get the WI-Fi version).

so keeping with redundancy... the intel build would or should be this?

Intel Core i7-10700 Comet Lake 8-Core 2.9 GHz LGA 1200 65W BX8070110700 Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630
ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI) LGA 1200 (Intel 10th Gen) Intel Z490 (WiFi 6) SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard (Dual M.2, 12+2 Power Stages, USB 3.2 Front Panel Type-C, Intel WiFi 6 & 1Gb LAN, Aura Sync)

again, not stuck on ASUS, it's honestly the only MB i kind of understand at the moment. i also know it works with that GT 710 video card. so, on board graphics AND a video card JUST in case he uses this and / or something goes out.

oh, regarding the OS. so, Alamode said something like Windows Server 2019 could be good, but they are windows 7 now. so support has ended and a new OS path is needed. is Windows 10 a better choice? i just went to the website and there are several different versions of 10. i would assume "business" or i think it's called "365" would be a better choice for an OS in the office? or maybe KISS and just go normal Windows 10 Pro on everything, every computer and just be done?

FYI, i'm a Linux Mint guy, so i haven't touched windows in a long time!

Last edited:
That looks good to me and follows your model of uptime which redundancy helps (at least minimizes downtime).

as promised... once i got a hold of the AMD build, i was going to attempt an Intel build and see which is better...

Intel Core i7-10700 Comet Lake 8-Core 2.9 GHz $310

ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS Z490 WiFi 6 & 1Gb LAN $200
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200 / Model F4-3200C16D-32GTZKW $117

SSD: SK hynix Gold S31 500GB 3D NAND 2.5 inch SATA III Internal SSD $61 ($128)
M.2: Western Digital Blue SN550 NVMe M.2 2280 250GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 3D NAND WDS500G2B0C $55
PSU: Seasonic FOCUS PX-550 $120
COOLER: Enermax LIQTECH II 360 $114
GPX: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 $58
CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Compact $100

ok, updated cpu / mb / ram. i believe that is the ram on the QVL i found. i'm not sure why it seems so much cheaper than others. i'll stick with just 2 sticks, either 32gb or 64gb total. although, that series did not have a 32gb stick option. so again, if what i found is wrong, or something pairs better, let me know. with all the RGB stuff, i may change my case to the tempered glass. i know it will be in a closet, but it's kind of cool.

keeping with redundancy, i'm not only going to attempt Raid (of some kind) i'm going to set it up to have a back up to an external HD nightly. that should really make this thing redundant! lol! i've picked out a Scan Disk 3.1 1T device. it's supposed to be the fastest / best at 1050 read / write? speed. i need one of those anyway to transfer all the current data from the existing server to this new rig.

oh, reading through the other messages i keeps coming up to have a "duel NIC's". what and were is that on this board? seriously, i just can't seem to understand what that even is.
the WIFI option on this board is nice. not something i thought about, but yeah, if the switch goes down, you can still access it.

Last edited:
Two network ports. Perhaps it is on the more expensive ones only. ;)

You can gain redundancy with Wi-Fi and a single NIC as well.

wait, did i happen to pick the correct ram? is there a 64gb (2x32gb) option that's better?

i was FINALLY able to find MB's with TWO ethernet ports. yeah, they are around $400 for those. i believe it was Supermicro and ASUS had a few with that option.
it looks like ethernet + wifi would be a cheaper option! lol!

Last edited:
You likely don't need more than 16 total...
ok. my bad. "more is better" is part of my make up! lol! the program states 16gb is the minimum. so, 32gb (like you said) should be just fine for a while. but was the TridentZ the best 32gb option?

\Wheras with a HW RAID card, you are tied to the RAID card which is chipset agnostic.
Not only that, as long as you stay in the same brand (LSI, Areca, etc) of RAID card, they can usually import arrays from different model cards.

keeping with redundancy, i'm not only going to attempt Raid (of some kind) i'm going to set it up to have a back up to an external HD nightly. that should really make this thing redundant! lol! i've picked out a Scan Disk 3.1 1T device. it's supposed to be the fastest / best at 1050 read / write? speed. i need one of those anyway to transfer all the current data from the existing server to this new rig.
If the data is very important, you should also invest in an offsite backup.

If the data is very important, you should also invest in an offsite backup.
the program Alamode, is going to a version called "Titan". that new version is supposed to have Cloud access, but it seems over charged and a hassle. he is also a little leery of having all his data, clients data, stored some where "over the internet" (trying to be funny). it is definitely an option he is considering, just not through Titan.

the program Alamode, is going to a version called "Titan". that new version is supposed to have Cloud access, but it seems over charged and a hassle. he is also a little leery of having all his data, clients data, stored some where "over the internet" (trying to be funny). it is definitely an option he is considering, just not through Titan.
Most business oriented backups will allow you to encrypt the data before it leaves the machine (Crashplan, Backblaze, to be specific). The encryption key is kept locally and never sent to them, so the data is safe. However, this means if you lose the key, the backups are unrecoverable.

Something to also look at that was ~ mentioned. You can pick up a cheap WiFi Router (has built-in switch capabilities) for $100. This will let you have one IP address and host the other computers as DHCP. You can set your own network address for each computer. What I was really talking about was - later you can add a WiFi laptop/printers/EC..EC.. to your network with out having to mess with the "Server OS".
I'm not so sure that a "Server OS" is required. It can be overkill.. Windows 10 (I like 7 better but that's me :) ) is the current OS. I would stay with a Business/Workstation Edition as you are not doing HW Raid.
I would buy 3 ~ HDD/SSD for SW Raid 5. = 2 cards hold data + 1 with spare. The total storage is 2x the size (IE- 2x500GB = 1 TB of total storage) but the spare drive needs to be the same size also). I would then get a Minumim of a 2TB drive to hold my Daily/Weekly/Monthly backups. There are several Backup programs out there to choose from.
Who is going to work/repair this computer?? If it is not you!! I would have xxx that was going to work on it - build it. My worst felling when I sit down in front of a computer is that I have NO idea of who made it or what software it's running. Just because it has Windows XP/7/10 - Server 2003/2008/2012/2018 - Small Business Edition 2012/2018 - DOES NOT mean it's installed/configured correctly or properly.

Okay - :comp: TMI (Too Much Information). I could go on an ON :facepalm:
I'll just say :welcome: and move along as I'm probably getting you confused :rofl: :grouphug:

sorry, not ignoring anyone. i have very limited access to the internet for now and for a little while. i'm going to be ordering all those items soon. i saw the thread "show what came in today", so i'll upload those images and then final build pics.

this is more like an AutoCad set up, where they have a server that runs the program and each terminal accesses the program.

I just noticed the "K" version of the chip I was going to get was available. I understand it's unlocked, meaning I can OC it quite a bit. I did do a mild OC on my Dads current computer (basically paid for the cheaper chip, and OS'd to the next chip).
Any thoughts or cautions getting the K chip and boosting it, a little?

UPDATE:
finally ordered everything! Few items went on sale. The SK hynix Gold S31 1TB 3D NAND (2.5 inch SATA III Internal SSD) was still cheaper on Amazon. ~$100 for the 1TB. it was the only thing I got from them, the rest Newegg.

Set up question.
I have everything in and assembled. Do I "need" to plug in ALL the power connectors? I have the 12v -2 connected with the 2ea 4pin but nothing plugged into the 12v -1 4 pin.
I did Google it up and it was suggested to plug the 12v - 1 and 2 with 1 power cable to share the load.
In the pic, I have just the 8 pin 12v-2 plugged in.

Attachments

• 20200920_062428.jpg
    20200920_062428.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 24
Back