• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New system built won't boot!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kenya

Registered
I just built a new system for my sis!

Biostar Ta790GXB3 mobo, 4 gig ram, Athlon II X4 cpu, corsair PSU, WD 640 gig black HDD, light on DVD drive.

Everything works mobo lights dont indicate any errors boots up fine.

I have the windows dvd in to install it, it gives me this message : Reboot and select the proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press key.

Windows dvd spins but wont start installing just get stuck at that screen!

Any ideas?

I just built a new system for my sis!

Biostar Ta790GXB3 mobo, 4 gig ram, Athlon II X4 cpu, corsair PSU, WD 640 gig black HDD, light on DVD drive.

Everything works mobo lights dont indicate any errors boots up fine.

I have the windows dvd in to install it, it gives me this message : Reboot and select the proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press key.

Windows dvd spins but wont start installing just get stuck at that screen!

Any ideas?

It would appear your CD drive is not the primary boot device?

On the Boot tab in the BIOS you will have an option to set the boot order. The DVD drive needs to be the first one in the boot order and then put the hard drive second.

You should get in in BIOS, then in the tab of boot and select the drive that you like to boot in this case the lite-on DVD, press f10 to save&exit and the computer should restar itself, a message with instructions appears, if not let us know

Also some boot screens have a key option, that you can press for a function key to a selection of a boot order selection when your pc is booting up.:)

Same thing happens when i select dvd drive as first boot device! Could it be the mobo? But the lights on it indicate there is no error. It has 4 phase lights i dont know what that mean. Maybe my HDD is bad? but in the bios everything shows up fine! Never had this problem!

Is the BIOS seeing your HDD's correctly?

Does the BIOS see the DVD drive correctly?

Have you tested the Windows CD in another computer - tried to boot from it?

The HDD and the DVD drive shows up fine! Honestly it could be the windows DVD I used a burned one not the original because i didnt want to scrach the original so that might be it?

You kind of have to if your downloading form the microsoft store.

Or your slipstreaming the OS.

Could you provide a link where Microsoft frowns on slipstreaming the OS thanks?

LINK:http://www.microsoftstore.com/s/win...85905&cshift_ck=2022685503cs1285905&WT.srch=1
Last time I checked you couldn't just copy/paste (with boot) an MS OS CD - maybe that's changed.
(Don't the boot files still have to match the installation version?) :shrug:

In any event I don't think I would be asking for help with a burned CD if I hadn't tried the original first - I guess that's just me ...

I totally agree you can have a bad clone copy of the original.:)

You do have to have the original boot files on windows 7 as far as I know.

Windows xp had slipstreaming built into the OS.

Last edited:
OK that was the problem, the original worked fine but i just realized that i have the x86 so it only sees 3.25 gig ram and i have 4gig i guess i will have to get a x64 version.

thx for the help!

Back