• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to folding - so little time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Opusbuild

Hello all,

I am new to folding (never done it before) and actually found out about it from this forum.

I am currently building my new rig and would like to start doing some folding, also to show my support to this fantastic forum where so many people have taken the time to help me, I would like to join the Overclockers.com team.

However, as with most people due to time constraints I am limited and wondered if anyone can me an up to date quick guide to help me. I just thought I would get some advice directly from the experts rather than trying to go through lots of information which I am not sure will be relevant or useful.

Thanks.
:grouphug:

Will you be folding on your "PC" in your sig? Will it be linux or windows?

Will you be folding on your "PC" in your sig? Will it be linux or windows?

In my sig? Sorry not sure what you mean? Even google couldn't help me with this one :shrug:

I am planning on installing both Windows 7 and Ubuntu... but not sure on the configuration yet. I will have an SSD and HDD, I am discussing the options at the moment in the other forum room.

Hope that helps. Thanks.

In my sig? Sorry not sure what you mean? Even google couldn't help me with this one :shrug:

I am planning on installing both Windows 7 and Ubuntu... but not sure on the configuration yet. I will have an SSD and HDD, I am discussing the options at the moment in the other forum room.

Hope that helps. Thanks.

Sig is short for signature. Is the system the 3770k we are talking about? Since your dual booting, which OS will you be in more often? Ubuntu? Also do you plan to run the PC 24/7? We need as much info about what you want to do if you want a detailed step by step guide :)

Thanks Shellnut2

I will be using Windows 7 95% of the time and Ubuntu 5% of the time for learning Linux. Therefore I will probably have windows as my main OS and have ubuntu on a VM.

Yes, I plan to use the i7 rig for occassional folding to start with. I will be using the system for numerical analysis (amongst other things) which takes up a lot of my system resources, so I will not be able to run folding for long periods of time (at the moment).

I would like to have a profile, it would be nice to feel a part of the team. But I am not sure how it really works in the team. I am especially interested in supporting the Cancer Research side of things (I don't know how specific we can be on this and if we choose to fold on specific projects).

I am not a "natural" programmer so any "easy to use" options would be better for me at this stage (I am working on it :))

I am not sure what else I can provide, if you have any other questions please let me know. I look forward to a response.

Thanks

As far as choosing what projects goes, you don't :) the servers at Stanford pick them for you.
If your going to be using the V7 client, is the setup where is asks what team you want to be on, enter 32, the same will be for any of the older clients too.
And you will need to enter a passkey to get bouns points for each WU after 10 WU's have been turned in.

I would like to have a profile, it would be nice to feel a part of the team. But I am not sure how it really works in the team. I am especially interested in supporting the Cancer Research side of things (I don't know how specific we can be on this and if we choose to fold on specific projects).

Back