• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to OC completely

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
IF that 4731Mhz cpu speed as shown in CPUz captured CPU Tab, is at least 2 hours Prime 95 Blend mode stable at a Max of 1.404Vcore and with a CPU temp of only 64c and a Package Temp of only 50c, then you have been wildly successful. Better than 98% of the rest of the users that have come thru most forums. Super Dooper Congrats if P95 Blend stable.
RGone...

Yepper looks like he found the prize silicon in the cracker jack box!!! I'm at 4640 24/7 but it takes me 1.476 V_core. man I wish I sad so lucky with mine. :cry:

5=19=13.PNG

Nope
It's either this "Yepper looks like he found the prize silicon in the cracker jack box!!!"
Or it's not stable.

Might not be any of that. Could be this >> "C70 Military Green Steel" << something about that military stuff just seems to rokkon. Hehehe.

C_D will be foaming at the mouth now for sure. He will soon be the king of next to n0 Vcore instead of hit it with some more volts, Scottie.
RGone...ster.

Going to run it for two hours right now, only did half that last night and if two hours is what it takes then so be it. Really hoping I don't eat my words....

:rain: Dropped a worker shortly after 35 minutes....:cry: And it was running hotter this time, got to 69C right before it dropped one. I have been having issues with other stuff too since I used AVG's computer cleaning program. After I get that sorted out, if I can, I'm gonna try again for 2 hours. But for now, I have to say it is not entirely stable at 4.7GHz....

MechE, I'm sure most of us would like to see your chip stable at @4.7 with 1.4v, hell it would be awesome. I've seen and have tinkered with mine to the extremes. Unless like Johan said "you won the silicon lottery" I doubt you'll be stable with anything less then 1.45 cpu v. If you are at 69c already, 69c where btw, cores or socket? Then I doubt you have the headroom to see 4.7 stable.

I would assume the socket. I had that board at first with my 8350 and that's what made me come here in the first place. That AIO cooler restricts airflow around the socket area and it heats up like crazy. Here MechE give this a read http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723442
With that board my limit was 4.5 cause of the heat from the 6 phase power circuit trying to feed that 8 core CPU. Eventually I replaced it with a Sabretooth, mostly cause I didn't want to burn it out. The M5A PRO made a good pair with the 965 in my HTPC. It's a good board but I felt just a little underpowered for my FX when OC'ing in the high 4's.

I hear you "Drake" and "Johan", we all wonder if there is that magic piece of silicon out there in the wild, that one day we might have too. We pull for the 'user' while we go on about getting stable. Then reality seems to always step up.

I run my CHV most days at 4.2 and sometimes for giggles 4.5Ghz at 1.38Vcore. If I slapped it with P95Blend it would fail at that Vcore and 4.5Ghz. I have a notepad with all the speeds and voltages required for P95 Blend stable. I have a profile set in bios of my CHV for 4.8Ghz for video editting. That profile setting jumps the Vcore to 1.4675V and LLC to Ultra-High from High. That is to bring the cpu voltage up to what is P95 Blend stable so I do not risk errors when running thru video edits. And you all know I am not at all concerned about cooling, since I have it well in hand.

Days and days and even into days of time at the keyboard; in the bios, knowing where this CHV and FX-8350 will play nice and not throw me some curve ball. Take my exact setttings and plug them into my buddies CHV with same bios and often the very same ram and he says his system will NOT even boot. Go and freeken figure. That is not an every so often occurrance, such happens time after time in this hobby of overclocking and why we cannot just hand settings off to that user wanting little more than to just plug numbers in and go onto gaming. "MechE" was not that sort of individual, since we know he is doing some tweaking on his own.

So we push him to get P95 Blend stable and pull for him to have found that uber piece of silicon as we all wish we had. Hehehe. Perverse thinking I know. But we all secretly hope at least someone gets the prize. We pull for him even knowing that what we hope to see has never happened to any of us and we have had to go and in most situations, buy better stuff to go faster. Strange and odd world. Good luck "MechE". Do not feel you are the only one ever to get a good long piece down the overclocking free-way and seemingly run off in the ditch. We have all been there and done that. Some of us have done it so much we just bought 4WD vehicles so we did not stay in the ditch.
RGone...

Thanks for the read Johan, I'll be seeing if I can squeeze a little more out of my FX. I figure if it can go 35 minutes on prime before dropping 1 worker and an hour+ before dropping a second it must be fairly close to stable. I am going to continue to try and get it stable at that voltage, if nothing else as a learning experience. The crazy thing is, I have kept my comp at the 4.7 settings because I haven't had time to tinker with it and it idles at 36-39C (CPU temp not package) and it runs great, no issues. Maybe I shouldn't do that though... Anyways, I'm throwing in the towel just yet.

Mech, stability is different for everyone. Some of us cannot afford to have our PC's crash in the middle of doing something important because it could mean losing hours worth of work. Others are just using it to surf the web and/or play games. If it doesn't crash for what you use it for then I wouldn't worry much about it. If you find that it starts crashing or you are doing things important that you cannot afford to lose then you need to have it at least 2 hours prime stable. Mine never crashes and I used that formula to get it there.

Mandrake has a good point, stability is subjective. If you are dong F@H or require perfect uptime for a server you obviously want to scrutinize your reliability more than the average joe. That means its more of a "sliding" scale. For example, my Hexacore is stable with prime for 2 hours, if I leave it at 3.8, but fails after about 40 minutes at 4.0 or 4.1 with the NB above 3000.

Still, I'd rather run the higher speed, because it still has never "crashed" or "bluescreened" and for all intestive purposes still has basically 100 percent up time. If I wanted to run F@H or cpu intensive tasks, I might go back to 3.8.
There is a grey area there with aggressive stability testing because in most cases, you wont push the system that hard for that long, in the real world. Which is why you should always use prime with a grain of salt since it doesn't always match up to be an accurate indication of what the PC will encounter with real world use.

For stability testing, its always good to get a baseline and see how the system performs under full power and to monitor temps. I typically use it for 10-20 minutes taking note of peak temps, core motherboard, chipsets, etc. Once I know temps aren't a problem, I'll go ahead and use the PC as I would on a regular basis. If it crashes, I will adjust settings accordingly until its right. just a thought, its only my own method so take it with a grain of salt :D

A trip I took and still take it seems...

Probably the best read on length of testing with P95 that I guess I have read lately. That statement was made at the last of one post a few posts from the end.

And notice what we are saying. We are telling the OP how long we test for. I scanned back over through the thread and I didn't see anyone saying, "You should test for ___ hours."

I used to "live" in a forum that reeked overclocking. You did not post your overclock unless it was P95 Blend stable for 8 hours and had the CPUz's and other captures to back it up. I had no trouble living with that sort of constraint. H*ll it was a badge of honor to post up an overclock that was pretty darn rock solid. It took considerable effort and skill to push our systems and still stay P95 Blend stable.

I guess the truth of those days was that I learned more about how to really overclock knowing what the gold standard was and gettting there. The standard was high enough to really test our mettle back then.

Over the last few months I have had to get back out my overclocking coveralls. These dang FX-xxxx heat and power mongers are pushing my skills again. It has become a work with some finesse and not a sledge-hammer in some of my testing to get to stable. I grabbed up my sledge-hammer a few months ago on my FX-8350 and thought I had ruined my good piece of silicon. Spent two days testing before I had to move back to my gold-standard CHV board to find my freeken way again. Hehehe. That was a trip.

That trip reminded me of just what it is I "do consider" stable. I remembered my own old gold standards of stability and it is sure higher than most use today. I ran smack, face-on into where was I stable? It takes more than the 2 hours we consider stable here in the AMD CPU Forums. My mind was not stable until I got my rig stable again by the standards I had used for a long time. That coming to an understanding of myself was a revelation unto itself.

I can live with the AMD CPU Forum idea that 2 hours of P95 Blend is enough. Probably is for just a gamer. I found I still had higher standards that were just built-in. I guess over my previous years of overclocking; my standards had become built-in to my psyche. Like I said it was a revelation to come full circle to stare my standards squarely in the face.

I am probably older than most think that I am. I can remember 8 or 9 years ago when I used to really push the Pee out of boards and benched for a team all the time, day in and day out that I was then a couple of decades older than the ones taking up the overclocking habit. Now more time has passed. Overclocking now is considered a 'right' and not a "privilege". Back in the old days of overclocking forums where I stayed, you did not just sail in and post up "how do I overclock my computer". You would have been laughed out of the forum. You knew to do your homework first. Learn the terminology. Practice a few days so the terms had revelance to your thinking. Practice until moving around in the bios made some sense. Then you posted up that you were 'hung' at X speed and overclocking school began. Those were some days for sure. That is where and when and how I learned to overclock and the end was those hours of P95 Blend. Hehehe.

Things have sure changed considerably in the succeeding years. Considered standards are greatly relaxed it would seem. But look around and we see that the whole social fabric has been relaxed as well. So why would it be any less in our overclocking hobby? It isn't.

Seeing myself in the face again, I understood why it was that I linked that thread above. It was because I could see the change in people and attitudes and times when one of the posters said >> And notice what we are saying. We are telling the OP how long we test for. I scanned back over through the thread and I didn't see anyone saying, "You should test for ___ hours." Coming from an older school of overclocking, you would surely have a standard of excellence set. Generally it is 2 hours in this forum section. That is the validation of men and my peers that I attain to in the forum. It is not however my "ownself". After seeing myself over the last few months I found my ownself and face and understood myself better, when my FX-8350 took me to issue when I got out my sledge-hammer; now that was a worthwhile trip. I understood why it was that I pushed and tested and pushed and tested some more. That knowledge that I could and it would be there ready to perform according to my standards, had become me. Solid standards worked out for me over years of experience.

Heck what was all that rambling?
RGone...ster.

You're right on the money RGone. My everyday Clock is about as stable as it gets. Ran about 15 hrs of prime. I'm not shooting for the moon and my temps were fine. So after the P95 test I added 1 more bump to the Vcore and I'm confident that I'm not going to get these strange BSOD's out of the blue and sit and scratch my head wondering what the h**l is going on :attn:
Funny eh ? My kids are 2 decades old.

Yeah, reliability is key. How you reach it, is up to you. In the thread rgone posted, it gives one a good idea of how subjective this process can be, lots of varied answers and opinions. Torture tests are just a component in that process.

I personally prefer AIDA64 as the torture test battery includes real time temperature plotting and data collection

Back