• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to OC'ing. My first attempt at my e6320. [Help Required!]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

silverzx

I've had this rig for around three years now which I built from scratch. The specification is getting a bit dated so I have decided to overclock my e6320, stick 4GB more of 800MHz DDR2 in (to make 6GB) and stick a new GFX card in (most likely a ATi 4890).

I've read some useful guides around the site, this I found particularly useful so thanks for taking the time to write it 'graysky'.

I have been running several different programs to monitor my computers temperatures at standard speeds and it has went ok (in my opinion).

Here is my computer spec:

Mobo: GigaByte GA-P35C-DS3R
CPU: Intel Core2Duo e6320 (2X 1.86GHz)
CPU Cooling: Artic CoolingFreezer 7 Pro
RAM: GeiL 2GB 800MHz DDR2 RAM
GFX: Saphire Radeon x1950GT
PSU: 580W Tagan (cant remember exact name and box is in the attic)
Case: Phong II (Adjustable fan front & rear)

Here is my computer idle:

coretemp.jpg

cpuzw.jpg

hardwaremonitor.jpg

speedfanv.jpg

And here is my computer whilst being tested by Prime95:

coretempl.jpg

cpuzf.jpg

hardwaremonitor.jpg

speedfant.jpg

From what I've gathered my RAM is capable of of running without modification providing my CPU FSB doesn't surpass 800/2 = 400MHz?

If I was to run around 400MHz then that would equal a CPU speed of 400*7 = 2.8GHz. Thats a whole 1GHz faster then stock speed. So my RAM should suffice.

My RAM does however currently use a 2:3 FSB:DRAM ration, this will have to be changed, correct (see below picture)?

cpuzram.jpg

This is the part I am unsure of...

Besides that has anyone got any advice or input before I crack on?

E.g. "Hold on a second cowboy, your temperatures are too smoking to OC! Get them down first."

or.. "It's all looking good, carry on."

I'm right in pressuming I'd start by following the steps provided within this guide?

Big thanks to anyone who actually reads my whole post and replies with useful information,

Silverzx.

You may - only an hour. I know this isn't extensive but I think on stock settings it is enough.

Also could anyone correct me if I'm wrong but my motherboard should support both 65 and 45 nm 775 CPU's correct? Is there any obvious difference besides size? Are either generally regarded as the better CPU?

I suggest you learn about overclocking first before you touch your bios. If you don't know what you are doing you can damage the main-board or any hardware allocated with it.

Here are just a few tips on how you can overclock...but again this is at your own risk. I highly suggest you do some research into overclocking. I'm not sure if there are any overclocking guides for the C2D here...

Try lowering the multiplier to x7, up the Base Clock to 470 and then take the RAM down to 667. I believe those chips allow a 1.32vcore right off the bat so you should be good to go with that. If the voltage is fine, push the base clock by only5-10mhz higher incriments away you go till it crashes. I believe this chip can hit 3.6GHz easy :) You may be able to reduce the vcore as well to 1.24v.

yea before i started really overclocking i watched videos on youtube even if it wasnt the same processor the fundamentals are the same and u end up learning alot just read up on it and also it is a good thing to always look up max voltage and temps for your cpu and try to stay below them

I've got my FSB from 266 Mhz to 300 Mhz. And my voltage from a stock 1.35V to 1.4V.

This has in effect up'd my total speed from 1.86 Ghz to 2.1 Ghz.

CPU Core temp's don't seem to be surpassing 49°C and Prime95 appears to be running stable.

My next action was of course to try and highten it again so I changed the core volts to 1.45V and the FSB to 333 Mhz. This caused the system to refuse to start (e.g. resets CMOS to default).

I don't understand where my next step of action would be, I can't seem to see NB or SB voltages.. Can anyone enlighten me?

Here's a SS of my current setup...

1stoverclockat300mhz145.jpg

Help? :)

Your CPU voltage is very high. It doesnt need to go that high....You should be able to hit 470 mhz on your host frequency with just 1.32v. You are lucky because for some reason increasing the voltage on your chip to 1.4v doesnt seem to phase it like other chips...the E6320 have been reported to take high voltages without much effect to the CPU. But who knows what the longterm effects are...:shrug: Take the voltage down to 1.32v and increase the Host Frequency 400 and see if it boots. Then increase to 420, 440, 460...470 and stop for a second. The reason you want to do this is to monitor the temps very carefully. Take your time and learn from your OC's as well and how the computer is running... For example, dont just run P95 only, run other programs like antivirus program, or a game and see how its running too. Take notes and continue...

I hope you know how to reset the CMOS if your PC doesnt boot or you get BSOD - In most of the new motherboards there is an easy to reach button. Most of the older ones you have to take the battery out or there may be a little switch, or there may be a botton in some cases.

Your CPU voltage is very high. It doesnt need to go that high....You should be able to hit 470 mhz on your host frequency with just 1.32v. You are lucky because for some reason increasing the voltage on your chip to 1.4v doesnt seem to phase it like other chips...the E6320 have been reported to take high voltages without much effect to the CPU. But who knows what the longterm effects are...:shrug: Take the voltage down to 1.32v and increase the Host Frequency 400 and see if it boots. Then increase to 420, 440, 460...470 and stop for a second. The reason you want to do this is to monitor the temps very carefully. Take your time and learn from your OC's as well and how the computer is running... For example, dont just run P95 only, run other programs like antivirus program, or a game and see how its running too. Take notes and continue...

I hope you know how to reset the CMOS if your PC doesnt boot or you get BSOD - In most of the new motherboards there is an easy to reach button. Most of the older ones you have to take the battery out or there may be a little switch, or there may be a botton in some cases.

A nice little feature of this MOBO is that the CMOS automatically resets if it refuses to boot. :)

What about NB/SB voltages? Where can I find these on my BIOS?

Guys I'm a bit stuck.

As soon as I raise the FSB above 310MHz it refuses to start. I've tried hightening the voltage to 1.5 Volts etc to no avail.

If you look at this I have some extra options like FSB extra voltage (0.1, 02, 0.3 +). Anyof these might help?

1stoverclockat300mhz145.jpg

Help me please!

Still no reply? :(

I've looked at this and the only difference I can make out is that I'm leaving the System Memory Multiplier on Auto instead of selecting an option...?

Check out the overclocking guide in my signature to see if that helps...

Yes, the FSBvtt would likely need raised as well a bit. Try it at .1 and see if that helps.

Otherwise, you really need to follow the methods found in the guide in my signature to see where your limits are.

Check out the overclocking guide in my signature to see if that helps...

Yes, the FSBvtt would likely need raised as well a bit. Try it at .1 and see if that helps.

Otherwise, you really need to follow the methods found in the guide in my signature to see where your limits are.

Firstly thank you for your reply.

I've read your guide and many others and based upon this guide I kinda found what I was looking for.

I was in fact leaving my RAM's MHz to automatically set itself. In effect my RAM was trying to run at arounr 1066MHz on standard voltage etc. I've now set it so that the RAM's MHz doesn't surpass it's standard rating. So far I'm on 2.56GHz. 2.8GHz would be a nice achivement imo.

e6320's normally rated at 1.86GHz should go up to about 3GHz right?

Edit: As I only have 800MHz DDRII RAM does that mean I cannot surpass a FSB of 400MHz? If I go over 400MHz I can't find a ratio to keep the RAM MHz below 800 (obviously).

What would be the next step? To OC the RAM or?

I have 2X2GB of Crucial Ballistix 800MHz DDRII in the post which I will be adding to bump it up to 6GB of RAM if thats of any use?

Last edited:
More RAM always makes OCing harder, but you should still be fine. You may want to run just the 2x2GB sticks and take the other 2x1GB out, but that's up to you and your RAM usage. It is a lot easier for the FSB to run faster when it only has 2 sticks of RAM installed vs. 4. I still run 4GB, and it's plenty for me.

The RAM may be rated at 800MHz, but that doesn't mean it can't run faster...it just makes OCing more complicated b/c you have to worry about the RAM OC and the CPU OC now (as well as the FSB OC). Most DDR2-800 will run at 900 or even faster w/ looser timings and maybe a bit more voltage.

Definitely set your RAM speed manually. The setting should be 2.00. which means the RAM will run at the same speed as the FSB.

2.8GHz should be easy, and you can probably get to 3GHz pretty easily as well if your RAM has a little headroom. Don't worry about any long term affects; folks have been running 65nm CPUs at 1.45-1.55v on air around here for years w/o any issues. With good air cooling you typically find the sweet spot between 1.4-1.5v. I OC'd a 6320 system for a friend years ago on the stock cooler and got to 3GHz w/ less than stock voltage.

My old e6600 ran 3.00GHz on stock voltage :) I still have it, but not in use currently. I'll give it to my newphew for his b-day as his first official PC

So will the PC refuse to start when the RAM is OC'd too much? Whats a safe limit to aim for on the RAM? Obviously its 800MHz standard... so... 1000?

Speed doesn't kill, voltage does. Worst that will happen is it will BSOD, etc. You can keep trying higher w/o fear as long as the RAM voltage isn't too crazy. Loosening the timings a bit can usually help you go faster as will additional voltage. Different RAM reacts differently to varying amounts of extra v-juice, so you just have to experiment and read up on your particular variety to find out what it's capable of. To focus on the RAM you run a high RAM divider and low CPU multi so that only the RAM is being pushed.

Change your RAM timmings, and as Jason said don't bump the RAM voltage too much.
The worst thing that could happen is a beeping sound coming out of your PC, you'll just need to reset the CSMOS by removing the battery, or press the clear CSMOS button if you have any.
And next time don't bump your vcore with like 0,500v when increasing the FSB a little bit.
I run my good old Celeron @ 3,5ghz at 1,4v (90nm) you tried to run yours @ 2100mhz 1.4vcore...
You can probably go with 3,1ghz @ 1,43 vcore, it depends on how you configure your RAM timmings, NB voltage and stuff like that.

Back