• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to rackmount hardware. Need some help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ebug122

I recently acquired a small server rack that a local company was going to trash. Now I can't seem to figure out how to mount anything in it. Any server rack that I've seen in the past has had vertical posts with front-facing holes.

front.jpg

Perhaps I'm missing some hardware that was attached originally?

The only additional pieces were three more posts like this one, which when attached would be side-facing holes like the post in the first picture.
post.jpg

The equipment you're putting into the racks should have rails that will bolt to those posts with the holes in them.

I'm not sure what that was used for. If you want to put any "normal" hardware in it, I think you are going to have a hard time or will be spending a lot of money. The first issue I saw was the round hole instead of square hole.

The equipment you're putting into the racks should have rails that will bolt to those posts with the holes in them.
I thought that too, but when the posts are in place, the holes face outwards side-to-side, not front to back. I've yet to see a standard piece of mounting hardware that would be secured from the side instead of front.

I'm not sure what that was used for. If you want to put any "normal" hardware in it, I think you are going to have a hard time or will be spending a lot of money. The first issue I saw was the round hole instead of square hole.
That's unfortunate. Maybe it was something proprietary? I can't seem to find a brand, model or serial number anywhere on it.

OK Hold on! The rack you got is a standard rack. It has either Telco rails or it is missing the rest of the rails installed.
Telco rails: Instead of using captive nuts, you bolt directly to the rails. Sometimes the rails are threaded, sometimes they arent.

The rails SHOULD bolt inside the square tubing to the lateral pieces. You can use the rack as is with a little work. Go to Home Depot/Lowes and look in the Metal section for Angle Iron, it isn't a perfect match to rack rails but it is much cheaper and works without much effort.
See if you can locate a manufacturer or PN and use Google-fu to see if standard square nut rails are available. Raid ebay/amazon for the rail lengths and with some work and luck you can have a nice rack for dirt cheap.

My original rack had the Telco rails, and if it had fit in my basement, I would have had it converted to square holes. Instead it is probably going to become a tool cabinet.

I ended up lucking out and getting a 24u for nothing that I have ~2/3 loaded. I need to look at getting the parts it is missing to enclose it fully. I also have a 9u that I use for an entertainment center.

Back