• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newb 1st part listing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phantomofnight

I know how much you all hate this, but I cannot post any pictures at this time. My computers are literally half way around the world from where I am. Right now, I'm in the planning phase for my server. All I want to cool on it are two processors, Intel Xeon E5506 Processors, Socket LGA 1366, 80W, Quad Core. Here are the parts that I've assembled for this build. For the sake of convenience, I'm linking to FrozenCPU, I understand the prices are higher and all that, but again, this is only for the sake of convenience.

CPU Block: Heatkiller Rev 3.0 Sockets 1366/2011 CPU Liquid Cooling Block
Radiator: Swiftech MCRx40 "Quiet Power" Dual 140mm Radiator
Fans: Prolimatech PRO-BV14 140mm Blue Vortex 14 Case Cooler
Pump: Swiftech MCP35X (well known here, no link needed)
Reservoir: Swiftech MCP35X Resevoir
Tubing: 1/2in. ID (5/8in. OD) Tygon R-3603 Laboratory-Grade Tubing
Barbs: Bitspower Fat Boys

Alternatives:
Radiator: Black Ice GT Stealth 280 Radiator
Reservior: Alphacool Repack Single 5.25" Acrylic Reservoir

I'm going with a dual 140mm radiator, and 1/2 ID Tubing. I'm kind of between radiators, but leaning towards the Swiftech. I'm also unsure of the reservoir, which is why I have two listed. Is this a sound build? What changes could be made? Is there anything I missed? Overall, what do you think, good, bad, or ugly? Thank you for the feedback and for helping a newb.

New water cooling theme song:

very well then.

CPU Block: Heatkiller Rev 3.0 Sockets 1366/2011 CPU Liquid Cooling Block
> be sure to check performance comparables, I personally have a thing for koolance blocks, and when it comes to waterblocks, ease of installation also matters, read on those on rewviews too.

Radiator: Swiftech MCRx40 "Quiet Power" Dual 140mm Radiator
> which chassis you use? maybe will have problem fitting 140 x 2 rads, as they are actually wider than 140mm, besure you check out the final measurements bro.

Fans: Prolimatech PRO-BV14 140mm Blue Vortex 14 Case Cooler
> fan is fine. if you are using a 120x2 rad, then you probably have more fans to choose from.

Pump: Swiftech MCP35X (well known here, no link needed)
Reservoir: Swiftech MCP35X Resevoir
> indeed, both of the above are easily good enough.

Tubing: 1/2in. ID (5/8in. OD) Tygon R-3603 Laboratory-Grade Tubing
> are thin tubings a personal liking on yours? I prefer 3/4 OD, as I find they harder to clink on hard bends.

Barbs: Bitspower Fat Boys
> these are fine. love them.

Alternatives:
Radiator: Black Ice GT Stealth 280 Radiator
> Black Ice makes some good radiators, for intuitive comparison, compare the FPI of the rad. you can also read my FAN post in my sig, will tell you how to positive rads to get best effects.

Reservior: Alphacool Repack Single 5.25" Acrylic Reservoir
> Res are mostly personal tastes, just go with whichever you like best.

Thanks for the advice. My case currently has 2 140mm fans at the top. However, I was kind of planning on externally mounting the rad anyways, but when I get back and can take measurements I will make a better call. As for the tubing, that's an easy fix. I'll go ahead and change that to the thicker tubing. The processor block I'll take a closer look. Thank you again.

Last edited:
you very welcomed, just ask if you got anything on your mind. :)

I'm sorry to bump this, but I'm having a bit of a difficult time finding some good reviews of CPU Water Blocks. Right now I'm looking through skinneelabs.com but is anyone aware of another good review site? Thank you.

I use Koolance CPU 370, and there's now a newer one even.

I will say Koolance and EK probably have some of the best heatsinks.
though most other brands aren't that much behind. :)

We talk blocks all the time,. OP, your doing great, but how much effort into reading the posts here and searching for the stuff you need? We recommend stuff all the time and have a good track record. You read lots of posts with time to relax, use the search method, you'll see lots of folks........

Just like you that ask the same questions over and over.

The XS link is pretty good, give it a try.

I prefer clear flex 60 tubing to Tygon. It can sometimes be a little harder to work with in tight spots but it still bends good and IMO has better rigidity.

The last build I did I used primochill flex tubing and it was excellent.

Thank you again for the help everyone. I'm going to be using Koolance CPU-380i water blocks. I'll look into that tubing. The way I saw it, the tubing and TIM was kind of trivial at this point in my build. While yes, they are important, my primary focus at this point was finding all the major components. I'm going to post a new topic soon doing a full part listing for my gaming rig. I'm still working on the part listing for that. I do have one more really newb question for you who know lots more than I, and that is if I use a bay reservoir, should I also use the reservoir that can attach to the pump? Or would that cause issues?

I own a plain XSPC single bay reservoir without pump but no longer use it. I had trouble getting it to fill properly and bleed air rapidly so cannot recommend a single bay res without pump.

If you get a dual-bay reservoir with pump like the Swiftech Maelstrom and a 35x, the problem I read about is noise. That makes a PWM controlled pump like the 35x seem ideal for a bay reservoir unit since you can usually run it at a relatively lower rpm and make less noise.

Since my pumps are bolted inside my case and I have no experience with the Swiftech Maelstrom, let's see what others say. Good luck. :)

Last edited:
Musicfan, I actually in my quest yesterday for a different res came across the Maelstrom, and decided to put it into my proposed system. While it's more expensive, I can see the benefits of having the pumps pre-installed, getting the PWM controller, etc. I'm in the process of putting together a new, complete parts and components listing of two computers that I want to water cool. This setup with some changes that I made, along with my gaming rig. Thank you again for the advice.

I just ordered a maelstrom and it should be here this week. I will let you know how it goes and post some pics. I was originally going to go with the apogee drive II but I decided to try the maelstom instead.

I just ordered a maelstrom and it should be here this week. I will let you know how it goes and post some pics. I was originally going to go with the apogee drive II but I decided to try the maelstom instead.

Wow, thank you! I'm excited to know what you think! I was looking at the fact that I can order it with the pumps pre-installed. It makes it "newb friendly". That doesn't mean I'm not up to a challenge should it not work. Either way, I hope it works well for you!

Back