• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie here! Can't decide on a few parts. Decent budget.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just ordered the memory and the HDD.

Done: GPU, CPU, mobo, HDD, memory, mouse, keyboard, mouse/keyboard mat, monitors.
To-do: CPU cooler, thermal paste, anti-static thing?, optical drive, sound card?, power supply, case, headphones, microphone.

Last edited:
Ordered the above and everything else. Went for the following case after it was suggested on I think page 2.

[the layout is odd below as I added stuff as custom for exact prices once I'd ordered them]

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Other: CPU -- Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£239.90)
Other: Video Card -- XFX Double D AMD 3GB HD7950 (£224.34)
Other: Motherboard -- AsRock Z77 Extreme4 (Socket 1155, Intel Z77, Up to 32GB DDR3, ATX, 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s, Supports NVIDIA SLI and AMD CrossFireX, Premium Gold Caps) (£101.98)
Other: Storage -- Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£70.88)
Other: Memory -- Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£58.98)
Other: Sound Card -- Asus Xonar Essence STX (£145.01)
Other: Storage -- Crucial CT512M4SSD1CCA 512GB SATA III M4 7mm 2.5 Inch Internal SSD with Transfer Kit (£294.99)
Other: Optical Drive -- LG GH24NS90.AUAA50B 24x SATA Bare Internal DVD Rewriter - Black (£13.47)
Other: Power Supply -- 750W NZXT Hale90 750M, Modular, 90% (£103.90)
Other: Case -- Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced (£69.69)
Other: CPU Cooler -- Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (£22.21)
Total: £1345.35
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-17 19:24 GMT+0000)

Everything should be delivered by Christmas Eve so hoping to do it on the day or Christmas day itself, if not then a few days after.

Any tools I'll be needing? Anti-static mat/wrist-band/ankle-thing? Any particular type of screwdriver(anti-static?)? Any final words of advice? :p

Also, does the cooler come with paste? I read that it did but if it doesn't then will the CPU + aftermarket cooler work fine until I can get some?

Everything should be delivered by Christmas Eve so hoping to do it on the day or Christmas day itself, if not then a few days after.

Any tools I'll be needing? Anti-static mat/wrist-band/ankle-thing? Any particular type of screwdriver(anti-static?)? Any final words of advice? :p

Also, does the cooler come with paste? I read that it did but if it doesn't then will the CPU + aftermarket cooler work fine until I can get some?

make sure you're always touching the metal frame of your case and you'll be grounded out enough (easy for me to say... 30 years of experience on this stuff... on second though get yourself one of those static wristband things, just to be safe). make sure your screwdriver isn't magnetized... that doesn't screw with much anymore, but there are still some parts that don't like it much.

you'll want to get some Artic Silver.

Just ordered some Arctic Silver and an anti-static wrist-band.

Could you link me to an amazon.co.uk screwdriver that will do the job? I've got decade old screwdrivers and I've no clue if it's magnetized or not.

The magnetization won't actually destroy anything unless you can pull a screw from across the room. (exxageration) If you want to demagnetize anything you suspect could be magnetic, you have two options. First option is to melt the metal which won't work. Or just whack it hard enough multiple times to scatter the atoms around so it weakens the field.

I've just tested it and it magnetises itself to the fridge a little within a few centimetres. Will that be okay?

Also: Received everything for the build bar the thermal paste and anti-static wristband. Ready to go!

Uh, magnetizes as in it can hold itself up? That could present an issue. Just hold it by the handle and strike the floor hard several times. Well I suggest doing it outside with how that thing may break something.

It's one of those ones where you can put the bit at the end on dependent on the size you need, and that bit isn't the bit that's magnetic, the bit above it is. I could just hold the end bit with my thumbs and do it that way?

I got bored of waiting for the thermal paste to arrive and decided to check out the contents of the components and familiarize myself with them only to find some thermal paste in the CPU cooler box. I'd just watched a 2-hour tutorial video on building computers so I just felt 'in the zone' and went for it... 8 hours later(yep, 8, 5PM-1AM) it loaded to UEFI and subsequently Ubuntu from my Live CD/USB. The next morning I installed Windows and almost all was working!

During installation I ran into several issues:
1) I didn't have anything along the lines of alcohol to clean whatever I used to spread the thermal paste. I just went ahead and cleaned a screwdriver with some kitchen towels and spread away.
2) The motherboard screw holes(forgotten the correct term) didn't quite match up to the case meaning it's at a slight slant and slightly compressed for want of a better word.
3) The CPU cooler didn't screw down as expected, and I suspect that although it's tied in strongly and doing its job it isn't on as it's supposed to be.
4) I managed to break the latch on the PCI-Express slot where the GPU goes... fortunately that has no purpose other than to hold it in place and it being slotted in plus the screw keep it in tight enough.
5) The sound card got right in the way of all the connectors at the bottom of the motherboard, as did the GPU to a lesser extent.
6) I must have touched all the chipset stuff on everything about fifty times whilst connecting stuff together. I'm amazed I didn't (to my knowledge) break anything.
7) The optical drive doesn't fit in this case... and whilst learning this I've bent the front of the case. Fortunately due to the design it isn't too noticeable. Aside from that I love the case, cheers to whoever suggested it! (Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced)
8) Nothing happened in terms of something appearing on the screen on the first boot. Scared me half to death.

I'm getting a consistent 60+ FPS with everything on high + 2xAA on Far Cry 3 and the computer is taking about 5-10 seconds at most to boot. No problems at all with stability once I'd fixed an issue a rogue sound card driver was causing with Windows.

Now, I said 'almost' all was working as my HDD isn't being detected. I attached it to the same port thing as the SSD which was labelled as being faster somehow(the correct terminology escapes me). My friend suggested I try plugging it into the slower port thing and see if that works which I'll be trying in the morning, does that sound like it'll work?

Anyway, HDD aside, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

P.S. I was so scared to death whilst building it I forgot to take pictures during the building process... also I'll randomly note that I built this whole thing on my bed for lack of a better place to do it... anyway, there's a picture of it on my camera somewhere, I'll see if I can get that uploaded soon. :)

1) I didn't have anything along the lines of alcohol to clean whatever I used to spread the thermal paste. I just went ahead and cleaned a screwdriver with some kitchen towels and spread away.

I had that problem too, was like screw it, it doesn't really make that much of a difference, according to many.

6) I must have touched all the chipset stuff on everything about fifty times whilst connecting stuff together. I'm amazed I didn't (to my knowledge) break anything.

Right? I'm shocked mine even turned on, I touched everything so many times, and even accedentally dropped my quite heavy ratcheting screwdriver on the mobo -_-. Lol, anxiety.

8) Nothing happened in terms of something appearing on the screen on the first boot. Scared me half to death.

Did you have crazy anxiety before turning it on? I almost wanted to go get a fire extinguisher or something just to be safe =P

The different HDD connections to the mobo are called SATA and are different colors. I used not know either... most mobos have more SATA II ports than SATA III... SATA III is the one you plug SSDs into but its backward compatible like USB 3.0 and USB 2.0.

Glad it all worked out for you.

Did you format the HDD?

How can I do that if it isn't being detected?

I had that problem too, was like screw it, it doesn't really make that much of a difference, according to many.

Can't tell until I get a chance to stress test the CPU and see what temps I get. I think if anything I may have over-applied the paste slightly but I tried my best to get excess bits off so it was as flat as possible. Whenever I next build a computer I'll definitely be getting one of those see-through things you see on YouTube that spreads it all evenly.

Right? I'm shocked mine even turned on, I touched everything so many times, and even accedentally dropped my quite heavy ratcheting screwdriver on the mobo -_-. Lol, anxiety.

Did you have crazy anxiety before turning it on? I almost wanted to go get a fire extinguisher or something just to be safe =P

Yep. I had both panels off and the power right next to me so I could turn it off if there's even a slight hint of a problem. If it'd caught fire or something I probably would have chucked it out the window... I don't want to damage my expensive new things but **** fires :p

The different HDD connections to the mobo are called SATA and are different colors. I used not know either... most mobos have more SATA II ports than SATA III... SATA III is the one you plug SSDs into but its backward compatible like USB 3.0 and USB 2.0.

In that case it should be detected, shouldn't it? :-/

Also just two general questions:
1) Which program(s) are recommended for stress testing? Although the GPU has been under high load with Far Cry 3 I'd like to push everything to the max and see how it does, and also what temperatures it gets.
2) What are the generally agreed upon 'safe' max temperatures for CPUs & GPUs? What program(s) are best for measuring temperatures?

Cheers everyone.

It's not being detected at all, even in the BIOS?

I'd try it in another port or computer to be sure, but it's probably dead. HDD's generally fail more than any other part in a computer.

Furmark for GPU, Prime95 for CPU. SmallFFT test on Prime95 will test CPU only while Blend will test CPU and RAM.

For measuring CPU temp, use RealTemp or CoreTemp. TJMax (where it will throttle to save itself) is 105C on Ivy Bridge, so I'd try to keep it in the high 80s to be safe.

GPU temp (and overclocking), use MSI Afterburner.

MSI Afterburner + Kombustor (Kombustor is just Furmark with different graphics): http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm
Prime 95: http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/
RealTemp: http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

Ran a burn-in test on the GPU and the max temperature was 73 degrees. How much would you suggest I overclock?

Ran the Prime95 test for a little over 10 minutes and the temperatures of the cores ranged from 63-68 degrees. Again, recommendation? :)

I've only fiddled with overclocking on my old computer before so I'm trying to be very cautious.

I'll be back tomorrow morning to see how high we can get a stable overclock on this thing :p

---

How would I see if it's detected in the BIOS(UEFI?)? All I know is that it isn't detected in Windows now and it wasn't an option during installation either.

In the CPU forum and under many of the top helpers here is a link to overclocking links, prograams, and 'how to' stuff. You got it built, now time to specialize in the CPU forum and GPU forums.

Back