• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie needs some advice on first build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SafetyTurtle

So, having previously used prebuilt PC's I thought it was about time I tried my hand at building my own.
I'm currently using an HP Pavilion HPE H9 and while it does a good job at gaming I want something a bit more powerfull and something that, to me, looks better and fits my aestetic preferences a bit more.

I know very little about computers and building but have done a bit of research, watch some reviews etc. to try and get an idea of what to go with.
I want to keep it in a black and red theme (to match my keyboard, chair...and lightsaber...) and also want to be able to plug in four screens to it (one for my desk and three for my flightsim) and not quite sure if the stuff I've picked will let me do that.

I play alot of different games and tend to mod them quite heavily, alot of graphical mods for games like Skyrim and the like and would love some better framerates and in general a better performance.

In regards to CPU cooling I have also considered the swiftech h220-x, mainly because of looks to be honest...I love the block lighting up and all that.
The thing keeping me from jumping on it is the white light in the tank, had it been able to be turned red or the liquid itself turn red I proberbly would have gone for it...also, if I were to use it I would proberbly mount it at the front, which would mean it would be vertically mounted instead of horizontal, and I don't know if that would mess with the function of it.

The reason I went for ASUS parts is that I've fallen completely in love with the ROG front base and would love to have it in my build and from what I understand you, you can only use it with other ROG parts.

I know the amount of ram is a bit to much for a PC mainly for gaming but I will proberbly be using it for other things as well (and as far as I know, it won't hurt the performance).
Also wanna make sure that it is actually an upgrade from my current PC and that it won't be completely useless for gaming withing a year.
Will be ordering the parts from a local shop which have some good prices on the stuff...and I like supporting local suppliers.

So here's the list, let me know if I'm completely off the marks here.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8VpWmG

Last edited:
1. ROG does not need to be with ROG.
2. That is a shed load of ram. 16GB is overkill. I would go 2x8GB DDR3 2133 CL9. When(If) you need it in the future, then get more.
3. The ROG motherboards are overkill for you as they are more or less made for extreme overlcocking (think Dry Ice/Ln2). That said if the look fits, then it fits (just know there are boards that cost a lot less that fit your theme out there. For example the Maximus VII Hero for $205).
4. Why 2 SSDs? Get one larger one (and don't put them in Raid unless you need the throughput is my advice)
5. For multi-monitor gaming, I would go with 2 R9 290's. They are 512bit bus and 4GB which will help with 3 monitor gaming.

Whoops, was actually meant to be the Hero for the motherboard.

About the multi-monitor thing...the plan I have is to actually have four: 1 on my desktop for "regular" gaming and then, in the future, 3 for my flight sim.

If that is the case with the monitors, perhaps just buy one 290/290x and when you buy the 3 monitors for gaming, get another.

Personally, I'd rather get all the hardware I know I'm gonna need for the build in one go, so when I've put it together I can go "there, done"...and then have it stand there and look pretty ^^

My main concern is the parts picked...this is my first time trying to plan a build and I mainly base my choices on reviews and recomendations.
I don't actually know how to "predict" if a build is gonna be good or not...from PCpartpicker it seems that the parts will work with eachother, which is a start I guess ^^

So be it. Grab 2 290's instead of the 760's are my advice. One larger SSD, and 16GB of ram. You wont need 16GB is 3 years unless you run VM's or want a RAMdisk. Save yourself some jack. ;)

Thanks for the advice...just want to know what the reasoning for the 2 290's over 760's are?...trying to learn here ^^

Also, I've looked at the ASUS Swift 27", seems like a monitor that would need a build that can "live up to it"...and was wondering if the chosen parts actually would get the most out of the screen.

As I mentioned above, because it has a 512bit bus and 4GB versus 256bit and 4GB on the 760's. It won't matter much until you want to start cranking on the eye candy with 3 monitors. The 760's will be fine but, the 290's are better for your end game setup and more powerful out of the box than a 760s.

Ah right...I have this anoying thing where I look at the numbers in the name to much, thinking because it's a higher number it must be better, so 760 to 290 looks like a downgrade.
Really stupid, I know, something I have to shake ^^

Apples and baseballs there man. Apples and baseballs. Nvidia and AMD have completely different naming conventions. ;)

Have you considered going X99? This is a high end build you're planning. X99 gives you more cores, more PCIE lanes, more USB3, more SATA3, more RAM bandwidth.

A 6 core 5820K is $389 USD. A 4 core 4790K is $340. Do the math. $49 for 2 extra cores. Will you need those cores? Not right away, but they'll come in handy when they start porting stuff off current gen consoles which have more than 4 cores. Already, some games take advantage of more than 4 threads.

Sure, X99 boards are a bit more costly than Z97 and DDR4 is a bit more costly than DDR3 but to me, buying Devil's Canyon is a foolish move with cheap Haswell-E Hex cores on the market.

Back