• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newbie wants to seti.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

o770

i just want to help searching..
everything i find about setting up my system to do it is so damn long, and complicated enough as looking like something to keep newbies far away from doing it.

so now just help me out to get over the frustration - and now ive already asked for a more comprehensive guide, could you please just tell me what is the basic setup to run SETI? what else other than the client? and what client, the better and why?

going further, what other add-on stuff you recommend me to get? - like the Electron Microscope on folding@home for instance.
i would prefer something more cool than only a dos prompt thing.
thanks for yo patience.

oTTO said:
i just want to help searching..
everything i find about setting up my system to do it is so damn long, and complicated enough as looking like something to keep newbies far away from doing it.

so now just help me out to get over the frustration - and now ive already asked for a more comprehensive guide, could you please just tell me what is the basic setup to run SETI? what else other than the client? and what client, the better and why?

going further, what other add-on stuff you recommend me to get? - like the Electron Microscope on folding@home for instance.
thanks for yo patience.

didnt u hear? SETI is illegal due to a new law from prrs. Bush.

folding is still here for ya though!!!:D

j/k:p

Check the sticky on the top of the forum. I know it seems long (44 steps!!) but it really only took me like 20 mins, I could probably do it in 10 but I was making sure I did EVERYTHING right. I set it up in a dull moment before work, when I got home I had three WU done. Pretty cool stuff, putting this 1.9 GHz to some use.

--Illah

The command line client is "better" because it's faster. But if you need eye candy, you might start off with just the screen saver, and set it to always on. Not nearly as fast, but it would get you in the door anyway.

By the way, the setup for the command line version looks long, but it's a piece of cake. If you're looking at the team site, those instuctions include how to set it up with Spy and Driver. Really easy. I can set one up in less than 5 minutes now... from memory! :D

Illah said:
Check the sticky on the top of the forum. I know it seems long (44 steps!!) but it really only took me like 20 mins, I could probably do it in 10 but I was making sure I did EVERYTHING right. I set it up in a dull moment before work, when I got home I had three WU done. Pretty cool stuff, putting this 1.9 GHz to some use.

--Illah

Once doing it like 10 times, I memorize it and can do it in about 2-3 mins (Minus the transmit).

It seems very long but it isn't. One step can be just a simple check or something :p

As I haven't posted the instructions in a long time (devil me) here they are for your viewing pleasure:

How to set up SETI Command Line
=======================

OK... Here is my quick list (with hyperlinks) to making the SETI@home CLC (NOT THE SCREENSAVER), SETI spy & SETI Driver work together... Please note the versions below... the list was written for those versions and may need to be updated when changes occur...

SETI&Home (v3.03 CLC) i386-winnt-cmdline.exe
SETI Spy (v3.1.1) SETISpy.exe
SETI Driver (v1.6.3.3) SETIDriver.zip

Note: the following assumes you have the latest download of SETI@home, SETISpy & SETI Driver ready at hand...
  1. If you have previous SETI versions, uninstall ALL SETI programs
  2. Create a "SETI" folder
  3. In the SETI folder, copy "setiathome-3_03_i386-winnt-cmdline.exe" & "SETI Driver.exe" & "SetiSpy.exe"
  4. Click on "SETI Driver.exe"
  5. Set "maximum processes" to "1" (you can always let the program search your machine, it usually default to 1 if you have only one processor and two if you have a dual setup)
  6. Set "desired cache size" to "1"
  7. Make sure the "hide processing box" is checked (default value).
  8. Set "SETI client priority" to "low"
  9. "Process monitoring" is at the bottom of the window, make sure the "use SETI Driver" is checked.
  10. Click on the "save config" button
  11. Click on the "transmit" button (if you get an error window at this point, choose "ignore")
  12. A DOS window (the CLC or command line client) will open entitled "SETI 1 - Transmit"
  13. In the DOS window, enter "1" or "2" (depending on your status)
    * Type 1 to indicate new user.
    * You'll be prompted for a valid e-mail address.
    * You'll be prompted for a nickname, You can choose anyone of your liking, as SETI users are identified by e-mail not nickname.
  14. Enter the email address you registered for SETI with (If you are not a new user that is - Otherwise skip to the next step)
  15. The CLC will download data, display information on the WU downloaded, then stop when it reaches "beginning analysis"
  16. Then CLC should disappear as SETI Driver "hides" the processing

NOTE: You should have a blue radio telescope icon running in the system tray (next to time & volume in the lower right portion of your screen). If this is the case, SETI Driver & the CLC are working together... CONGRATS!!!
  17. Right click on the blue radio telescope icon, and select "exit"
  18. In your SETI folder, click on "SetiSpy.exe"
  19. Select "I agree" (if you do, of course)
  20. Click "ignore" (if you get the "error window")

NOTE: You should now be looking at the SETI Spy interface (GUI window). In the white-ish area on the left are what I will call "tabs" (named, "progress," performance," results," etc.). To select a tab, click on it.
  21. Select the "client" tab
  22. Click on the "configure" button, this will open the "client configuration" window
  23. Click on "browse", this will open the "select SETI@home Client" window
  24. Click on the "SETI Driver.exe"
  25. At the bottom of the window it should read [file name: SETI Driver.exe] [file type: executables]
  26. Click on "open"
  27. The "select SETI@home Client" will close, and the "Client Configuration" should be displayed

NOTE: Assuming I have set this up on a "C:" drive, using the "SETI" folder name as I mentioned above, the client configuration window will read "C:\SETI\SETI Driver.exe" in the "client path" area.
  28. In the "client parameter(s)" area type "-SETISpy" (don't miss the hyphen)
  29. Under "client control" at the bottom of the window, check all 4 boxes
  30. Click "OK" and you will be back at the SETI Spy GUI
  31. Select the "Setup" tab (should default to the "display" button setting, if not select "display")
  32. check the 3 left boxes in this order: "minimize to tray," "run in tray," "close to tray"
  33. Click on the "client" button
  34. Check the "Ignore presence of state file on startup" box
  35. In the system tray, right click on the SETI Spy icon (radio telescope with magnifying glass) and select "exit".

NOTE: At this point, there should be no SETI icons in the system tray, or other SETI windows open. If anything is open, close it.
  36. Click on "SetiSpy.exe" in the SETI folder, if you get an error message (which you probably will) select "ignore".
  37. You should have both the SETISpy AND SETI Driver icons now running in your system tray.
  38. Left click on the SETI Driver icon, make sure the "use SETI Spy" box is checked in the "process monitoring" section at the bottom of the window.
  39. Click on the "save config" button, then minimize the SETI Driver window.
  40. Right Click on the SETI Spy icon in your system tray.
  41. Select "exit".
  42. Next, click on the "SETI Spy.exe" icon in your SETI folder... No errors? GREAT.... CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You are now configured to run the CLC, Spy & Driver off the SETI Spy icon...
  43. To get the full functionality of SetiSpy you must do this workaround, it will enable you to update your user info and give you a direct link to our SETI@home team page.
  44. Finally double click the SETI driver icon in your tray, set the desired cache size to 3-5 days worth of work units. If you are not sure how many to set it to set it to 10 and see about how many units you complete in a day and then multiply that by 3 or 5. And also if you have a 24/7 internet connection you can click auto transmit otherwise when you cache gets low you will need to connect to the internet manually and then click the transmit button on SETI driver. You may also wish to connect to one of the teams public queues. Save the configuration and you are now ready to crunch.

Of course, you can make a shortcut to SETISpy and paste it into your system startup folder, then SETI@home will automatically restart, every time you boot up Windows...
    [/list=1]
    Happy Crunching!!!

Kris

=====================
    End set up SETI Command Line
    =====================

1. After you have done all this (and this is easy step by step set of instructions) you should read the pdf file found with the latest SETISpy 3.1.1 and get a feel of all the other setup options you can have with this little nice program.

Again I would like to thank Kris (aka Morpheous) for doing this great set of instructions, to SpeedDj for the stick, to my mom, and to all that made possible this post.....:D

Mictlan said:
As I haven't posted the instructions in a long time (devil me)
LOL, yeah, i haven't see u posting the instruction for quite a long time, u used to catch that very fast...........:D

btw, does anyone noticed the combo zip file on the site, the Spy version is 3.1.0?? guess we'll need to update it!! ;)

oTTO, first of all, Welcome to the Team!! also, don't let those long steps scared u. once u've done 2-3 times, u could set it up in 5mins. for me, after "hundreds" times, i could close my eye and set it up in 2 mins. really! the reason it has that many steps is we try to give people a more "detailed" instruction. lot of those steps is just trying to explain to u, no action required.

if u had any questions 'bout setting it up or else, feel free to put ur hand up! ;)

oTTO said:

thanks for yo patience.
Absolute basic setup of SETI is either the Screensaver version (just download the installer), or the CLC version (go into the other OS section and find the WinNT executable compiled for a 386+ CPU). The installer is like almost every other installer you've seen, so I won't go over it. As for the CLC, that file IS the program. If you run it, it will ask you to log in and stuff and crunch WUs.

Once you have either of them (either works, but the CLC is 30% faster than a completely speed tweaked screensaver), the two favorite utilities around here are SETISpy and SETIDriver. SETISpy is a simple monitoring program with loads of info about what the CLC (or screensaver) is doing. You can find out how fast it is working, how much longer you have, find what the client has found, ect.

Seti Driver is the other favorite utility around here. It's purpose is to cache up WUs for you so that when Berkeley has server problems, you will still probably have WUs to process on your own computer. It displayes a minimal set of what the client is doing at the moment, which is why you want Spy. Any caching utiltiy comes in handy.

Other stuff I've used (that isn't nearly as popular):
SetiGate: A cache that acts as a proxy so that other clients on your network can directly get WUs

SetiMonitor: A monitoring utility that has the ABSOLUTE BEST log format ever invented. You select a single WU that you've worked on, and it will dislpay all the gaussians, spikes, triplites, and pulses at their respective drift rates, and show you graphicly how they score against one another. You can also show a log of EVERY work unit you've done, and it will show the same kind of graph, only with every work unit's results superimposed. It looks really cool! (you can tell I like this program a little huh? ;) )

JigPu

here my other 2 favorite programs for SETI too.....

SETIWatch: if u have several machine in ur network, it's a very handy tool to monitor them. very good log too. it shows project complete time, how long more, how long been working on, ARs, all the history, etc. also support caching programs like SETIDriver that our team's combo used.

SETIHide: if u want to hide the client, no icon shows in systray. could also cache WUs for u too (either local or remotely).

normally, our team's CLC/Spy/Driver combo is actually one of the best combo. good info from SETISpy, and good caching from SETIDriver.

good luck!! :)

Back