• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg.com and price increases...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow, I feel bad for you. I'm sure they'll take care of that. Every business has its screw-ups. Don't blame newegg... blame the worker who put in a good work for his drug addict friend to start working there. :)

I had a feeling this would start happening when I saw a newegg advertizements on city buses last year then newegg commercials on TV around christmas time. I have also noticed that hardly anything is FREE shipping anymore. I guess somebody has to pay for their advertizing and that's us. On a positive note the newegg refurb section has a lot more stuff now than it used to.

I have purchased from newegg more than any other online store when I needed stuff for me or friends, and the company I work for also purchases regularly from the egg but I have never hesiteted to buy from another online vendor when I found a better price. I do like the FEDEX Saver 2~3 day shipping from newegg and have spent a few $$$ extra to get my stuff from them because if you order at the beginning of the week you know your stuff will be to your door by Friday.

I prefer to buy online whenever possible because buying locally I have to pay around 9% sales tax, so even if an online store can match the price of local stores (i generally find the best price online anyway) I still come out ahead and don't have to go out and hunt for what I need.

We also have to remember that gas prices are getting crazy now and the cost of everything goes up when gas goes up because we depend on trucks for shipping goods once they enter the USA and trucks run on gas.

Last edited:
deez said:
We also have to remember that gas prices are getting crazy now and the cost of everything goes up when gas goes up because we depend on trucks for shipping goods once they enter the USA and trucks run on gas.

Don't forget planes. Planes use gas too.

LOL -

Just though of something when my Egg & ZZF orders arrived today.

I posted earlier, on this page, how I now buy less stuff from the Egg, & more from ZZF & others, due to the recent pricing. But there is one thing I usually still buy from the Egg, yet: CPU's.

The reason: My S478 C0 'boxed' & two other OEM S478 D0 Prescotts (all different sales & clockspeeds ordered over an 8 or 9 month period) were Costa Rican. Today's newly arrived 640, also is from Costa Rica!

I know it sounds kinda' crazy, but for some reason, I usually get a Costa Rican proc from the Egg; & I REALLY like Costa Rican procs. This has been going on for around, maybe a year.

From ZZF I usually got Malay (which I like almost as much as CR - but not quite) or Philippine (which I don't particuliarly care for).

I suppose I could look for some places that will pull a specific country-of-origin or s-Spec, like Azzo or PCSupply (and pay significantly higher), or just play the CPU lotto at ZZF or the Egg & get a better price. In todays case, I paid an x-tra 6 bucks at the Egg over ZZF, but I did get a 640 - Costa Rica - SL7Z8! :santa:

Weird, huh??? Maybe it's got somethin' to do with all my recent stuff now comin' from the Edison NJ warehouse, probably 'cuz it's a lot closer to Chicago than Cali. I dunno'. :shrug:

I'm sure this sounds like a crazy reason to shop for cpu's at the Egg, but I do... :rolleyes:

Signed,

~ Superstitious In Chicago ~

How can you tell where they are from again? Does it say it on the retail packages or something?

hi g0dM@n -

The P4's country-of-origin is one of the things printed right on top of the IHS (Integrated Heat Spreader), which is actually just the top face of the cpu. OEM packaging will always display the IHS so it can be read, and my new LGA775 'boxed' package also has a small plastic window, so you can see the IHS.

The FPO/Batch# will also be on the IHS, and on the side of all P4 retail boxes, along with the Prod code, and a bunch of other info. This info will be printed & also contain scannable bar-codes. You also can find the country-of-origin from the box's FPO/Batch#, by itself, even if you can't see the IHS.

The first four digits of the FPO/Batch# will give you the country-of-origin & date of manufacture (the pack date should also be on the box):

1st digit = country-of origin.
2nd digit = year of manufacture
3rd & 4th digits = week of manufacture (within 2nd digit's year)

My 640, that arrived yesterday, has an FPO Batch# of 3441B408

So:

1st digit = 3 = Costa Rica
2nd digit = 4 = 2004
3rd & 4th digits = 41 = 41st week (of 2004)

(my pack date on the box is 02/15/05 - pretty recent)

I'll see if I bookmarked all the other country codes (1st digits), & post back in a minute. I know "3 = Costa Rica" from memory! :D

There's also a sticky on this somewhere here in the OCC forums.

Oh yeah, once the cpu's in the machine, I don't know of any way to find country-of-origin or FPO/Batch#'s unless you have the retail box.

Strat

^^^

Here ya' go:

<paste>

1st letter or digit=plant code
0=San Jose,Costa Rica
3=..............,Costa Rica
1=Cavite,Philippines
R=Manila,Philippines
7=..........,Philippines
9=Penang,Malaysia
Q=...........,Malaysia
L=............,Malaysia
8=Leixlip,Ireland
Y=Leixlip,Ireland
6=Chandler,Arizona
5=Shangai China

Example:L149A463-0726

L=plant (Malay)

2nd digit=Year of production (2001)

3rd & 4th digits=week (49th week )

(A463)=some kind of traceability number

(0726)=Serialization code

</paste>

credit: jazztrumpet216's OCC thread HERE.

Strat

Did you guys check the price of the Fortron Blue Storm AX500 on Newegg?
$95!. Now thats what I call charging an arm and a leg!

Price gouging at its best :mad:

Back