• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg Fail

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My 6 year old says words like that. What are the child labor laws in Canada like? Maybe they hired a young'n to type out the names. :p

NewEgg just enters the name the vendor gives them. This is an Athena Power fail, not a NewEgg fail :) You can find similar idiotic branding on things Amazon sells.

Even if it is a fail on the part of the OEM, it looks bad, and it's on Newegg's site. They should have somebody with an English degree who combs through product names and descriptions and nukes any errors. I'm a grammar Nazi (sometimes) and things like this turn me right off.

Lol get over yourself. I'd prefer they take the extra salary for that English major and knock a few bucks off the price of something.

Lol get over yourself. I'd prefer they take the extra salary for that English major and knock a few bucks off the price of something.

Any company as big as Newegg should use proper spelling and grammar. Not doing so shows a serious lack of professionalism.

Hiring a guy with an English degree would be a literal drop in the bucket. Not even enough to increase the price of all their items by one cent.

My point is, we know what the products are before we even go to newegg's site. A single character out of place changes nothing in terms of our purchase. We're shopping, not judging a spelling bee...

Also, do you really think there's a single person or even a department of people who combs through these things? No. They get descriptions from the manufacturers. Those go straight into whatever software/database manages the millions of items they sell and then get dumped out in web page form.

Honestly, this feels similar to:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=750738

Good job, you found a typo on the Internet...

Last edited:
The guy who fixes my car can't spell worth a damn either. Guess I should start shopping for a new mechanic, right?

The guy who fixes my car can't spell worth a damn either. Guess I should start shopping for a new mechanic, right?

Analogy nitpick: The guy who fixes your car communicates primarily by speaking to his customers. NewEgg communicates primarily with writing, so NewEgg should put a lot more weight on making sure that the writing is correct.

No need for an English major, though. A simple spell-checker bot on the OEM side looking for product names/descriptions with obvious non-words like "splitted" and then removing those product pages wouldn't be amiss, though :)

A simple spell-checker bot on the OEM side looking for product names/descriptions with obvious non-words like "splitted" and then removing those product pages wouldn't be amiss, though :)

I don't know if that would work with since product titles are mostly strings of randomly-arranged characters and proper nouns.

I think it is you who needs to get over yourself, actually.

Yes, because I'm the one who started a nit-picking, rant thread over a single letter typo and tried to use that simple mistake as a way of steering people away from a vendor...

I'm pretty sure this isn't OP's first thread about grammar, and probably won't be his last. At the end of the day, it is just his personality, no harm in that. Let the guy criticize for poor grammar. :)

That being said, the manufacturer's first language most likely isn't English, it's just one of those things that comes with the territory. If a language barrier and the occasional grammar mistake that falls through the cracks is what enables me to buy cheap parts from China (or gets me cheap Chinese takeout), so be it!

5469473655_3ee3276cb2_z.jpg

It's a forum, not an echo chamber.

Even in forums there's no need to get in people's face unless it's warranted IMO.

Yes, because I'm the one who started a nit-picking, rant thread over a single letter typo and tried to use that simple mistake as a way of steering people away from a vendor...

I'm not steering anyone away from Newegg. That's not my intent. I just wanted to start a conversation about whether Newegg might also be half-a$$ing it in other areas besides spelling. I got a soundcard from them once and wasn't happy with how it was packaged for shipping. Related? Possibly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back