• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newer P3V4X...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm having nothing but trouble with this board now... Sandra mem benchmarks are VERY low... and settings according to sandra aren't sticking... heck every program says I'm running agp 2x when I set it to 4x... all kinds of bullhuckey :D

did you install the proggy i gave you> the mem score will stil be low compared to the bx...but should be about equal at liek 144 fsb...

funnyperson1 said:
did you install the proggy i gave you> the mem score will stil be low compared to the bx...but should be about equal at liek 144 fsb...

Yep its installed. My 133 cas 2 benches are around that of the same chipset running 100 cas 2 :(

dude that does suck i have the old school version and it has 133/135/138/140/142/144/146/148/150/160/166....now why would they ruin such an awesome ocers board in the second revision?

I think that was because the original clock gen chip would heat up big time when overclocked and cause stablilty problems. I couldn't even touch that chip for more than a couple seconds, it got so hot. Asus knew there was a problem so they put the Winbond chip on the newer boards to correct this.

Of course all they had to do was put a small Heatsink on the original chip like a lot of us did and you were laughing.

Trashcan said:

I think that was because the original clock gen chip would heat up big time when overclocked and cause stablilty problems. I couldn't even touch that chip for more than a couple seconds, it got so hot. Asus knew there was a problem so they put the Winbond chip on the newer boards to correct this.

Of course all they had to do was put a small Heatsink on the original chip like a lot of us did and you were laughing.

yeah, i put a little heatsink on there ran almost as stable as my dads bx (not quite though, the bx is untouchable)

Seems the Winbond chip doesn't support a variety of FSBs. I was looking at a P3B-F board the other day, and I notice it has a Winbond clock generator, which probably explains why they only go from 133 to 140 to 150 also.

I'm going to be swapping the 600E I got running at 144 FSB onto a couple of 440BX boards soon (P3B-F or BE6-II Ver. 2.0). One guy said that board is snappier than his PentiumIV. If it's an earlier PentiumIV, I don't doubt it.

I'm hoping I can take it up to 150, but I doubt it (already burnt it in).

The P3V4X is a real stable board though, since I got a 120 mm fan blowing over the ram and ICS chip (no heatsink yet). I had a P3C-E (intel 820 with rambus) in there earlier and though I hit about the same FSB and the board was really high strung and fast, it wasn't quite as stable (those annoying registry errors when booting into Windows).

Clevor said:
Seems the Winbond chip doesn't support a variety of FSBs. I was looking at a P3B-F board the other day, and I notice it has a Winbond clock generator, which probably explains why they only go from 133 to 140 to 150 also.

I'm going to be swapping the 600E I got running at 144 FSB onto a couple of 440BX boards soon (P3B-F or BE6-II Ver. 2.0). One guy said that board is snappier than his PentiumIV. If it's an earlier PentiumIV, I don't doubt it.

I'm hoping I can take it up to 150, but I doubt it (already burnt it in).

The P3V4X is a real stable board though, since I got a 120 mm fan blowing over the ram and ICS chip (no heatsink yet). I had a P3C-E (intel 820 with rambus) in there earlier and though I hit about the same FSB and the board was really high strung and fast, it wasn't quite as stable (those annoying registry errors when booting into Windows).

i agree the Via chipset in my mind is better than most other PIII chipsets performance wise and stability wise except of course for the mighty bx....and im not surprised either the Williamettes were real slugs....

Back