• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Next Gen Wrap-Up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
It was WILD!

People were predicting "The End of Sony." According to completely unreliable sources Sony was going to absolutely go out of business and bluray was going to fail. Then there was the meteoric rise of the Nintendo Wii... which some predicted would dominate the market. And... in terms of console sales due to artificial "shortages"... it did! For a while anyway.

This was the next gen! And what a wild ride it became.

The biggest shock of the entire next generation of consoles came at the very beginning when Microsoft released the X-Box 360 and caught both Sony and Nintendo with their collective pants down and left them in the dust. It was a move which neither company ever fully recovered from. As recently as this past Thanksgiving the X-Box 360 was still selling more than the Sony and Nintendo's offering.

Which brings us to the only thing I was wrong about with this console generation: I thought releasing a console that early would be suicide... but it was actually Epic Games that came to Microsoft's rescue by convincing them to add more RAM to the system by showing them what gears would look like with... and without the additional RAM.

It was the gift that kept on giving and allowed Microsoft to remain competitive against the much newer (but RAM lightweight) PS3. Bluray drive be damned!

Meanwhile Nintendo was losing at the same time it was winning. I called it early... 280 billion systems sold and about 30 games sold. And that was pretty much just 30 copies of New Super Mario Brothers. To the tune of... now when you go to the supermarket... you have the tough decision of whether to buy a Nintendo Wii... or another package of napkins... because who seriously wants to run out of napkins when you need them the most?

Meanwhile most of those 280 billion Wiis... Including my revision 1.3 Wii that plays gamecube games and supports every bootloader ever invented and is the only device I brought to Spain that will allow me to play DVDs... all of them are currently collecting dust in someones closet or doing a weak job of holding up the books on someone's shelf while the rest of us are playing Assassin's Creed 3 and Tekken Tag 2.

It was a wild ride of Sony and Microsoft as well... Red light of Death! YELLOW light of death! Exploding lithium batteries! Anonymous attacks shutting down PSN and stealing everyone's info! But if you thought any of this would be the end of either Sony or Microsoft then you obviously suck at math and should start working on a liberal arts degree or a political science major because then THEY CAME BACK! Like The Undertaker! (Who also came back at Wrestlemania this year.)

And speaking of comebacks... What a great year for Anderson Silva. He didn't need to comeback. He just kicked *** all year long and scored the cover on THQ's UFC3... only for THQ to file for BANKRUPTCY six months later! The UFC franchise must have saw it coming and moved over to EA. The fate of Saints Row, Smackdown, and Homefront? UNKNOWN!

And who could've POSSIBLY guessed... after a series of half-assed efforts on the previous console generation that THE FIGHTING GAME would make the most dramatic comeback of all time on next gen systems? Sure... there were fighting games on the PS2 and Xbox... but let's be serious here... they weren't actually trying.

And while Soul Calibur IV at least participated it was Street Fighter IV that went BALLS OUT and led what became the fighting game revival. Followed quickly by BlazBlue and every other fighting game that ever existed. (Even a re-release of Fighting Vipers and Virtua Fighter 5!) How wild can you get!?

Fighting games in 2012! Tekken Tag on a new Nintendo System! A Nintendo controller with a screen for no reason!

MAAAAAAAADNESS!

cant wait for the new consoles this year the current "next gen" feel like antiques these days when compared to PC gaming and the load times on both my xbox and ps3 practically put me to sleep i really hope they do there homework this time around and include a good amount of ram(with almost free prices these days) and video cards that will support updates that will allow for newer versions of directX like directX 12 that will be out in 2014 right after the consoles come out end of 2013.

Its impossible to release a GPU that will support "Future versions of DX". When a card "Supports DX10 or DX11 or <insert here> those instructions are physically etched by way of transistors on the GPU die. Desire to bring out new drivers or not if the GPU doesnt have the instruction set it cant run the code.

I actually only got my first PS3 maybe 6-8 months ago and I agree its been a meh experience, however, it is one hell of a netflix / media box...

I actually only got my first PS3 maybe 6-8 months ago and I agree its been a meh experience, however, it is one hell of a netflix / media box...

Heh, I'm in a similar "boat" as you. Bought my PS3 just over a year ago and pretty much only use it for movies (blu-ray, netflix, amazon). PC still does the heavy lifting and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. That being said, if the xbox+blu-ray rumor holds up, I'll be picking up the next xbox to use as an extender and an all-around media center.

Its impossible to release a GPU that will support "Future versions of DX". When a card "Supports DX10 or DX11 or <insert here> those instructions are physically etched by way of transistors on the GPU die. Desire to bring out new drivers or not if the GPU doesnt have the instruction set it cant run the code.

i didnt mean that they somehow make it support directx versions that are not already in development,but considering xbox is M$ and the new xbox will be out right before the release of dx12 it would be my hope that they could make the video card on the system be able to support it,otherwise the consoles will be outdated a few months after there release.

i didnt mean that they somehow make it support directx versions that are not already in development,but considering xbox is M$ and the new xbox will be out right before the release of dx12 it would be my hope that they could make the video card on the system be able to support it,otherwise the consoles will be outdated a few months after there release.

Unfortunately there's no way to do that. The new xbox supposed to launch late 2013, which means production has to start VERY soon if it hasn't already. There are currently no DX12 hardware avaliable to put into these xboxes.

At least, that's my 2 cents. :D

never got an xbox 360 till a few months ago, and never owned a ps lol and ive played maybe 5 hours tops on it since i got it lol i play league of legends and dayz, aint no body got time fo dat

Now if you could only predict if Sony could line up some games that would make the Vita not totally suck, we'd be set. Its 5 bills wasted at this point with the running potential to be the best handheld ever. Slap Red Dead Redemption on it and it beats my 3DS with 1 killer title to its name... how hard could this possibly be?!?!?

Alas, I have already said too much and broken my self impossed OCF ban. God Sony pisses me off...

I just bought my next gen console. Neo Geo X finally broke down and bought one.

cowboom.com had them for $99 used and I could still get ninja masters with it.

Neo Geo Classics collections 1-4 coming shortly with 3 titles each on them.

That is my next gen :)

On another note PS4 looks interesting but just like this gen and the gen before it I'll wait till the thing is almost at the end of it's life and dirt cheap used. Then I'll buy in.

gfs_88788_1_1.jpg
samarai%20shodown%202-1.gif

Greatest fighting game ever made in history, set volume to full and you need nothing else...

Last edited:
hing is almost at the end of it's life and dirt cheap used. Then I'll buy in.

gfs_88788_1_1.jpg
samarai%20shodown%202-1.gif

Greatest fighting game ever made in history, set volume to full and you need nothing else...

I really prefer the original Samurai Shodown. But it doesn't matter really... I still have the original catridges and the original NeoGeo Gold system. So I don't need a remake. :p

I really prefer the original Samurai Shodown. But it doesn't matter really... I still have the original catridges and the original NeoGeo Gold system. So I don't need a remake. :p

Yeah I had my AES wish I never had to sell it. But been playing this remake and it's basicly feels almost exactly like the AES. Part of my love for it is if the kids break it no sweat! lol.

If I had my AES and the kids broke that well it would be like hell on earth and a few paychecks gone depending on what game. Plus actually be able to get all the games. Most AES owners only have a handful of carts at most because it's just way to expensive.

What carts you rockin?

Last edited:
Zero interest in the Wii U and Xbox One. PS4 it is but I'm giving it a year to see if there's any hardware bugaboos that need worked out. I'll be damned if I'm going to have another overheated $500 paperweight.

Zero interest in the Wii U and Xbox One. PS4 it is but I'm giving it a year to see if there's any hardware bugaboos that need worked out. I'll be damned if I'm going to have another overheated $500 paperweight.

That's a wasted year. You'll have a one year warranty anyway.

That's a wasted year. You'll have a one year warranty anyway.

Although it will make me feel scummy and defiled, I just may bone up and pay for an extended warranty. I'm skivvy on how that automatic double-your-warranty thing works with my MasterCard.

FWIW I have a Wii U and my kids love it. It came with some great "party" multiplayer games that are a lot of fun. We also use it to watch Netflix replacing the built in version from my bluray player and the xbox 360. It's a great little system. It does a great job of integrating all the new controller features. It may not be for older "hardcore" console gamers but that is what PC's are for.

FWIW I have a Wii U and my kids love it. It came with some great "party" multiplayer games that are a lot of fun. We also use it to watch Netflix replacing the built in version from my bluray player and the xbox 360. It's a great little system. It does a great job of integrating all the new controller features. It may not be for older "hardcore" console gamers but that is what PC's are for.

There are still quite a lack of crossover titles for the PC. When was the last time a sports game was made for the PC?

There are still quite a lack of crossover titles for the PC. When was the last time a sports game was made for the PC?
I don't play any sports games unless you count racing sims so I can't help you there. Most PC games today are console ports so there's your crossover. But to avoid a PC vs console sidetrack I'll just say: Yay consoles! They have great games too! :clap:

Back