• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Next rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vanAndesen

Registered
Hello Overclockers

A friend of mine advised me to join this forum for some feedback as to my very soon new rig.
Together with my US friend, I have gathered that these parts should go in my new rig.

Notes:
Yes I could build it myself, but if the supplier/retailer builds it for me, then I get a two year warranty on the assembling. I live in Scandinavia, so we have different laws here as to warranty.

The choice of aftermarket fan is based on advice and for the sake of having a very reliable fan for better cooling from the get go.

The choice of tower is based on two peoples experience with this model and with the R5.

I am going for nVidia over the Radeon rx480 8GB, price is almost the same, but in general the nVidia has been recommended.

Tower: Fractal Design Define R4 - Black
PSU: Corsair RM650x Strømforsyning - 650 Watt - 135 mm - 80 Plus Gold certificeret
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170-GAMING K3-EU Bundkort - Intel Z170 - Intel LGA1151 socket - DDR4 RAM - ATX
CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 Skylake CPU - 3.2 GHz - Intel LGA1151 - 4 kerner - Intel Boxed
CPU-fan: Noctua NH-D14 CPU Køler - Luftkøler - Max 19 dBA
Memory: G.Skill AEGIS DDR4-2400 C15 DC - 32GB or Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2400MHz 32GB
2x16GB 2400MHz (PC4-19200) DDR4 CL14, XMP
Graphics: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 G1 GAMING 6GB
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO SSD - 250GB

The two RAM choices has to do with, that I am considering two different suppliers, currently it looks like the G.Skill supplier has the best price over all.

Any ideas or feedback on my/our choice of parts and so on?

A little to consider
I mostly do the following on my rig, play games, edit/record/stream youtube and day to day work.
Games to mention of newer date, almost, are:
Modded Minecraft, XCom2, Subnautica, Styx and in the future Chronicles of Elyria, which should go at around at least the requirements as ARK has.
Rest are older games, so I am not in general playing high fps games or looking for a super computer, so no real need for 1440p, I barely hit 1080p in general.

Thank you in advance.

- Van

If it were me, I'd go with 16gb of ram via a 2x8gb kit, and a cheaper PSU like the Corsair 500w Bronze. Use the savings for a GTX 1070 and i5-6600.

If you don't plan on overclocking, get the B150 or H chipset boards and save a few more dollars. Something like the MSI B150 Gaming M3 ($110 here in the states).

You are not overclocking so I also do not see the point of such a good (costly!) cooler. You can easily have quiet and thermal headroom with a Hyper 212 Evo for $30.

Add that to the 2x8GB DDR4 (which if you go with B150, I think you are stuck at 2133 MHz DDR4) savings, bump the processor to the 6600 like Jeff said. If you have some leftover I would get a 1070. That will plow through your games the way you play it for 3+ years. 1060 should be fine too, but.. i like a more is better approach here.

If it were me, I'd go with 16gb of ram via a 2x8gb kit, and a cheaper PSU like the Corsair 500w Bronze. Use the savings for a GTX 1070 and i5-6600.

Well, the i5-6600 is currently, converted into USD, 27USD more than the i5-6500.
I went with the i5-6500 because when I do not go K, the 0.1Ghz more seems a waste of money.

I had my thoughts on the 1070, but as my friend said, if I was not planning on doing 4K (1440), then I should save the money.
The 1070 is currently 555USD over the 1060 at 365USD, I am looking at the Gigabyte make, as I like to keep both Motherboard and Graphics from the same make.

The PSU there is price difference, but I'd rather spend a little extra on that, just in case.

As to the Memory I am still undecided, again rather safe then sorry.

If you don't plan on overclocking, get the B150 or H chipset boards and save a few more dollars. Something like the MSI B150 Gaming M3 ($110 here in the states).

You are not overclocking so I also do not see the point of such a good (costly!) cooler. You can easily have quiet and thermal headroom with a Hyper 212 Evo for $30.

Add that to the 2x8GB DDR4 (which if you go with B150, I think you are stuck at 2133 MHz DDR4) savings, bump the processor to the 6600 like Jeff said. If you have some leftover I would get a 1070. That will plow through your games the way you play it for 3+ years. 1060 should be fine too, but.. i like a more is better approach here.

No I have no plans to overclock, only ever done it once and that was over 10 year ago, never felt the need since.

The MSI MB is around 120USD here, and the MB I currently have listed is just 20USD more. I also have good experiences with Gigabyte and my current rig runs on a Gigabyte MB.
MSI an Gigabyte are my favourite MB's to go for. Both from experience and from advises.

The cooler is aimed at low db and better cooling, my current runs too hot now and its with the standard. Given it is over 5 years old then okay, but still.
Also I should be able to take this cooler with me from rig to rig, if ever needed.

Going from 1060 to 1070, Gigabyte would cost me 180USD more, but I could save some by going with 16GB, which would keep me around a good amount, as I am also looking at getting an extra/new monitor for streaming and such.

All in all the parts I have listed will by todays price, run me at around 1350USD assembled.
If I can keep the spend at a max of 1500USD, then I am good.

One thing you did mention which I also like to build towards is the long life of a rig.
I mostly aim for 5+ years and my current is, as mentioned, over 5 years old now.
Had planned for a new rig next year to beta test CoE, but since XCom2 is a bit laggy here and there and I need more power for my youtube stuff, then it is about time within two months tops.

Your graphics card will lose the most ground over 5+ years. The 1070 is good advice, especially for that expected lifespan. In 5 years a 1060 will be way behind the curve. As for the 1070 being for "4k" gaming, nope. You won't be running max settings on a single 1080 in 4k.

The cooler is aimed at low db and better cooling, my current runs too hot now and its with the standard. Given it is over 5 years old then okay, but still.
Also I should be able to take this cooler with me from rig to rig, if ever needed.
You'd be MORE than fine with the Coolermaster Hyper 212X (the new one, sorry) and be quiet and save $30.

Going from 1060 to 1070, Gigabyte would cost me 180USD more, but I could save some by going with 16GB, which would keep me around a good amount, as I am also looking at getting an extra/new monitor for streaming and such.
Then get the 1070 for sure..

One thing you did mention which I also like to build towards is the long life of a rig.
I mostly aim for 5+ years and my current is, as mentioned, over 5 years old now.
You'll want the best you can afford. I would grab a 1070, save some money by going 16GB (you can upgrade cheap in a few years if you ever need to), and get a cheaper cooler. Really the difference between the two coolers isn't remotely close to the cost difference (75%).

But honestly, you might as well just pony up the money for hte 6600K since you are set on a Z170 board. You never know in 5 years you may want or need to in order to get by. You are under budget and all...

Your graphics card will lose the most ground over 5+ years. The 1070 is good advice, especially for that expected lifespan. In 5 years a 1060 will be way behind the curve. As for the 1070 being for "4k" gaming, nope. You won't be running max settings on a single 1080 in 4k.
Not max with AA, but with AA off, many titles are very playable. I run 4K on a 980Ti(~1070) in BF4, Battlefront, BF1, Doom, Dirt Rally, AOTS.... Not GPU killers, but, you get the picture. But it surely won't play a AAA title @ 4K Ultra settings in DX12 4 years from now very well I wouldn't imagine.

Not max with AA, but with AA off, many titles are very playable. I run 4K on a 980Ti(~1070) in BF4, Battlefront, BF1, Doom, Dirt Rally, AOTS.... Not GPU killers, but, you get the picture. But it surely won't play a AAA title @ 4K Ultra settings in DX12 4 years from now very well I wouldn't imagine.

Yeah, I was thinking 4k max settings for the 5+ years. If that was my goal I'd go for a GTX 1080. I missed his 1080p statement, so a 1060 may not be too bad for a while. For 5+ years though, I'd want to be on a 1070, at least.f I had to choose between a 1060 and RX 480 for 5+ years I might be tempted to take the 480 for DX 12, though.

There's isn't a card out that could handle 'max settings' at 4K in 5 years. Hell, I doubt there is a card out now that will allow max settings at 1080p in 5 years... look at the 7970. It came out 12/2011 and it can't max out plenty of titles at 1080p. ;)

Any reason for going with the Fractal Design Define R4 instead of the newer R5? The R4 is a great case, as I have one myself. Just curious why you picked the older model?

Any reason for going with the Fractal Design Define R4 instead of the newer R5? The R4 is a great case, as I have one myself. Just curious why you picked the older model?

People say that the R5 is a great case.
My friend said it had some features he wouldn't thing I would need or have use off.
Basically the store I am now considering said R5 too, but to save a little cast R4 would also be a good choice.
I am almost set, cash-wise, to order by end of this month or if things go ruff, next month and prices drop a little all the time.

So much feedback, and very good feedback.

From all the advises I have been getting, 16GB does not sound like a bad choice, and as one of you said, I could always upgrade if need be in a few years at cheap.

CPU-wise I just got off the phone with the retailer and he personally, the guy I talked to, had a 6600K and it would provide me the option in some years to OC and have my rig live longer. Plus he mentioned some other benefits, which I kinda forgot by now (Been having headache all day)

Graphics-wise then I am getting tempted by the 1070, I must admit, even more since the memory may be cut in half.
I am also getting the feeling over all that people would often go for the 1070 for many reasons, over the 1060. The longer lifespan is of importances for me, so good points on that.

I am still very sure that the D14 CPU fan would be the right choice, call it a gut feeling.

atm, if I put together the tweaked choice of parts, then we do cross my limit of price.

As to the 4K debate, well you never know I might play 4K at some point, but atm I am used to running my games at not even 1080P. Plus, wouldn't I benefit more from a 4K strong card if I had a 4K monitor. atm I run a 10+ years old ViewSonic 23" and it has served me extremely well.
Point also I feel no need to go above 25", used to use my 32" LG TV and it is to big, both in size and from where I sit at my rig.

Any other advices, views, I will be looking more the the tweaks and giving you guys the latest.
In the end I know this rig will rock for my needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am still very sure that the D14 CPU fan would be the right choice, call it a gut feeling.
Its a fine choice... however, you can easily run something much cheaper and still easily reach your goals. The difference in performance between the 212X and NHD14 or w/e you chose isn't worth it unless you are pushing the limits of the CPU when overclocking. You may not even overclock none the less push the chip to its limits. It really doesn't do anything for you. Will that $40 bring the price back into budget? ;)

There's isn't a card out that could handle 'max settings' at 4K in 5 years. Hell, I doubt there is a card out now that will allow max settings at 1080p in 5 years... look at the 7970. It came out 12/2011 and it can't max out plenty of titles at 1080p. ;)

I get carried away with other peoples' money sometimes. :eek: LOL ^ Absolutely true. Part of my response may be due to wanting a 1070 myself. :D

Its a fine choice... however, you can easily run something much cheaper and still easily reach your goals. The difference in performance between the 212X and NHD14 or w/e you chose isn't worth it unless you are pushing the limits of the CPU when overclocking. You may not even overclock none the less push the chip to its limits. It really doesn't do anything for you. Will that $40 bring the price back into budget? ;)

Well having the option to OC, as I said before, is starting to sound like a good idea.
The price difference between the 212X and the D14 is:
212X: 53USD
D14: 90USD, so yeah about a 40USD save.
One reason why I hang on to the D14 is still the low db. the guy I talked to at the retailer had the D15, which at a higher price has a higher max db.
The noise from the fans I have has always been a pain, if I catch the noise, it sticks in my awareness for quite some time, so low db is of importances to me.

Budget is atm broken, but there is not far until its at the max of 1500USD.

One question while we focus on fans, is it worth going for aftermarket fans for the tower, and we are focusing on the R4?
Also Leegit asked about my tower choice, what is your experience with the R5, as I assume you have that, over the R4?

As I've said, you can overclock plenty on the 212X. Worst case if you don't like the fan noise, get another fan... you will still come out spending less money... even with aN expensive arse $20 fan. ;)

Tower? You mean case and case fans? Depends on what comes with it. I'd build with what comes with whatever case you get and if the fans are not quiet enough, buy different ones.

Well having the option to OC, as I said before, is starting to sound like a good idea.
The price difference between the 212X and the D14 is:
212X: 53USD
D14: 90USD, so yeah about a 40USD save.
One reason why I hang on to the D14 is still the low db. the guy I talked to at the retailer had the D15, which at a higher price has a higher max db.
The noise from the fans I have has always been a pain, if I catch the noise, it sticks in my awareness for quite some time, so low db is of importances to me.

Budget is atm broken, but there is not far until its at the max of 1500USD.

One question while we focus on fans, is it worth going for aftermarket fans for the tower, and we are focusing on the R4?
Also Leegit asked about my tower choice, what is your experience with the R5, as I assume you have that, over the R4

Current parts based on feedback:

PSU: Corsair RM650x PSU - 650 Watt - 135 mm - 80 Plus Gold
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170-GAMING K3-EU - Intel Z170 - Intel LGA1151 socket - DDR4 RAM - ATX
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K Skylake CPU - 3.5 GHz - Intel LGA1151 - 4 core
CPU-fan: Noctua NH-D14 CPU - Max 19 dBA
Memory: G.Skill AEGIS DDR4-2400 C15 SC - 16GB
Graphics: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 G1 GAMING 8GB

Currently, plus assembly: 1600USD
I can already see that the price has dropped a little from this morning.
So what are you guys view on this setup?

Also may admit to being a little afraid of frying the CPU when doing an OC, this is though based on knowledge from well 10+ years ago.

Just noticed a note I made on CPU coolers, and the Shadow Rock 2 was noted.
What are you guys views on that one?

Last edited:
Before the last note I want to thank you guys for your good advises and sharing your knowledge in the quest to build my next rig.

The 95% final parts are as follows.
note: I would still love a little last advise on a few parts, which I will mention after the parts list.

The advantage of going R5 does not seem worth the extra cash, a little better db contra, but else not much to talk about.
PSU: Corsair RM650x PSU - 650 Watt - 135 mm - 80 Plus Gold
Expensive PSU, but a solid choice, will last long and supply good power for the system.
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170-GAMING K3-EU - Intel Z170 - Intel LGA1151 socket - DDR4 RAM - ATX
Yes, could have gone with another board, but feel confident to stay with this one.
CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 Skylake CPU - 3.2 GHz - Intel LGA1151
Had looked at the i5-6600K, but after last talk with the retailer today, we agreed that the i5-6500 would be enough.
CPU-fan: (Noctua NH-D14 CPU - Max 19 dBA)
Still a little annoyance which needs to be dealt with.
Memory: (G.Skill AEGIS DDR4-2400 C15 QC - 16GB)
A little wonder which needs to be dealt with.
Graphics: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 G1 GAMING 8GB
As based on many peoples advise, extra cash freed from RAM and future proof as much as possible without going all in on a 1080.
Well, this guy has had no queston put to him, so go EVO!

As I have mentioned the db is a thing for me, but a few higher might not do that much "damage".
So I am looking at two choices for CPU cooling. The mentioned D14 at db 19 or the Shadow Rock 2 at db 25.
And any last advises on Memory?
DDR4 and 16GB. As I will mostly be using the rig for gaming, anything memory stats I should consider or other memory than the chosen ones, which may be better, still taking price into consideration?

You could save some money and buy the Hyper 212, it has PWM fan so it is vary quiet at Idle, the fan just barley spins and at load it is also vary quiet much more than the video card fans. I have my CPU overclocked to 4.5GHz with a hyper 212 it sure beats 3.2GHz.

Your updated rig... have you decided not to overclock again I take it?

Id get DDR4 3000 MHz CL14/15.

Your updated rig... have you decided not to overclock again I take it?

Id get DDR4 3000 MHz CL14/15.

After talking to the retailer guy/nerd, I decided that it might not be needed, but...
If prices drop a little and I get that extra I may be looking to get, case-wise, then the i5-6600K might happen anyway.

DDR4 3000 MHz, what will I be gaining cost/benefit wise?

Back