• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Next rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You have ddr4 ram at ddr4 speeds. Ddr4 2400 mhz are ddr3 speeds. While you don't gain much, you are at least out pacing ddr3. ;)

You have ddr4 ram at ddr4 speeds. Ddr4 2400 mhz are ddr3 speeds. While you don't gain much, you are at least out pacing ddr3. ;)

Not sure I get what you're saying.
The DDR4 2400MHz is like DDR3 and the DDR4 3000MHZ is a little extra gain?

Okay, I'm following prices and this is the build I will go with final, if prices drop by around 120USD, then it is a done deal.
Will have to buy Win10 too, but that is a different thing.

Tower: Fractal Design Define R4 - Black
PSU: Corsair RM650x - 80 Plus Gold
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170-GAMING K3-EU - Intel LGA1151 socket - DDR4 RAM - ATX
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K Skylake CPU
CPU-fan: Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler
Memory: G.Skill AEGIS DDR4-2400 C15 - 16GB
Graphics: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 8GB
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO SSD - 250GB

Any last inputs?

That is a good list however if you can go with a 850 EVO SSD 500GB I would do that. You will also have to buy windows 10. The good thing is it will be able to overclock like my rig in my signature.:)

Last edited:
That is a good list however if you can go with a 850 EVO SSD 500GB I would do that. You will also have to buy windows 10. The good thing is it will be able to overclock like my rig in my signature.:)

The 500 is gonna put me way over budget.
I'll get an external HDD first off, then some day an extra SSD
Yeah, it seems that I am going with Win10, I can get the Pro at a good price from an ESD retailer. Even if I won't use much of what Pro gives, then it does provide me with a few benefits, one of which I would have expected to be in Home. the ability to chose if you want a piece of software installed from M.S.
Bitlocker is a nice bonus too.

Just a bit of information for you:

If you go to Microsoft's website there's an option to download a Windows 7 ISO for free if you have a valid product key for the OS. If you have a pre-built computer or a laptop that came with Win7 and there's a sticker somewhere on the computer that has a product key on it, you can probably use that to get a Windows 7 image, create a bootable USB drive with it, then install that version. Then you can use the Windows 10 Media Creation tool to change that USB drive to a Windows 10 installer and install over Win7. During the install, if you claim to be reinstalling it'll activate itself with your Windows 7 key. Alternatively, you can also Google the assistive technology upgrade and it's the first link, if you can't get the media creation tool to work.

The 500 is gonna put me way over budget.
I'll get an external HDD first off, then some day an extra SSD
Yeah, it seems that I am going with Win10, I can get the Pro at a good price from an ESD retailer. Even if I won't use much of what Pro gives, then it does provide me with a few benefits, one of which I would have expected to be in Home. the ability to chose if you want a piece of software installed from M.S.
Bitlocker is a nice bonus too.

Do some research on W10 Pro. A lot of what made it better than W10 Home has been removed with the Anniversary update! It really isn't worth the extra money now, IMO.

Do some research on W10 Pro. A lot of what made it better than W10 Home has been removed with the Anniversary update! It really isn't worth the extra money now, IMO.
What are those features that have been removed?

GPeditor is still there, just some of the functionality of it was removed. It's worth taking a look at the real advantages of W10 Pro over Home relative to cost. I'm a little harsh on W10 (and have a flair for understatement :) ), but they charge more for it and it doesn't provide the value it used to. And I'm willing to bet that will be an ongoing trend. At the rate M$ is locking things down the real usefulness of GPedit will likely be diminished further. It will still be convenient for the things the user is allowed to do. You just won't be allowed to do as much.

If you need to upgrade any fans b/c of the noise, look into the Fractal Design Venturi fans. Bought a bunch for both my builds. They are great.

So earlier this week I went to order my new rig, but at that day the retailer had no Evo 850 in stock, and delivery was 1-2 months :-/

So I went to look for a retailer with the Evo 850 in stock and bingo, a retailer closer to me had all the parts and I would save a little money.

Before order, today in about 8 hours tops, I want to make sure that no last tweaks are needed.

Questions and thoughts:

There is room in my budget to get a 750w PSU if needed, will it?
Most likely I will run the CPU at 3.9 to 4.0 at some point.

An extra fan for the front, this fan "Fractal Design Dynamic GP-14" could that be an idea, it will push the budget a little over, but not by much.

I believe that is it, except that I was considering Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2400, it would save a little more, but will there be any difference?
Aegis has CL15-15-15-35 and LPX has CL14-16-16-31, the CL is the only real difference I can find, are these close numbers worth considering at all?

I believe that is it and if there are not last minute changes the rig will be with the parts listed below.

Tower: Fractal Design Define R5 - Blackout Edition
PSU: Corsair RM650x - 80 Plus Gold
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170-GAMING K3-EU
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K Skylake CPU
CPU-fan: Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler
Memory: G.Skill AEGIS DDR4-2400 C15 - 16GB
Graphics: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 8GB
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO SSD - 250GB

Thanks to everybody for their feedback and input, it has really helped a lot. :)

Back