• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Next Upgrade Suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Weeman

here's the specs:
CPU: I7 960 @4GHZ
Cooling: Thermalright ultra 120
GPU: two sapphire HD5970
PSU: two corsair GS 800Watt
Mobo: Intel DSX58So
HD: Patriot SSD Raid
RAM: Mushkin PC-10700H 667Mhz 6Ghz
Case: Silverstone TJ07

I'm looking to upgrade something, but I'm looking for ideas as to what. I can't really call it a bottle neck as I'm happier then a pig in... stuff with its performance. I'm just itching to open the case for some reason.
I've done the liquid cooling, and real-world performance vs maintenance didn't make any sense to me. don't get me wrong... liquid is better, but exactly how much faster does 2010 office load between 4Ghz and 5Ghz?
I'm just looking for suggestions, any and all help is appreciated.

any suggestions.
how about putting a Tv PVR in there? i dont see one of them listed, everyone should have a tv up there in the corner of the screen.

a big huge hard drive for incramental backup of the entier thing, got one of them? that way you can destroy the whole system and recover it in a few minutes.
once you get one of those on, you can start hacking up the opearting system, and programs, to gain that extra speed from limiting crud that runs.

getting a 6 core processor, or a board that holds 2 processors, and will run 12 cores , might just as well have 2 gpus and 2 cpus too. it wont be faster for many things, but it will keep you warmer in the winter.

I think the best thing really would be, i give you my system, you give me yours, and you can open up my system and find stuff that really needs help :)

1) Well if you're a gamer you can always get a higher end graphics card, though your current will do well for most games. I personally don't believe in *Bleeding Edge* graphics. I don't think I have 20/20 vision so what is it going to help me?

2) ????

3) PROFIT!!!

4) Everyone loves more hard drives! Haven't used the space? Try running a Linux distro, or jam packing a couple with .raw music or 1080i videos.

5) Your PSU is decent but 800 W is starting to seem like 250W a couple years ago. Try a 1500W or better and keep your 800 W for backup or a secondary system? Plus you can always move your newer PSU to a newer system, unless they come out with another power connector type (not since PCI-E x16).

6) FLASHY LIGHTS!

1) Well if you're a gamer you can always get a higher end graphics card, though your current will do well for most games. I personally don't believe in *Bleeding Edge* graphics. I don't think I have 20/20 vision so what is it going to help me?
Most games? He has 2 5970s. That's as good as or better than 2 6970s in most situations :). If anything, I say eyefinity it. Get 3 screens going. And a nice specially designed stand for them. There are several now for 3 or 6 screens. XFX makes a nice one.

Back