• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF-A14 iPPC vs regular Noctua NF-A14 PWM for best airflow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sand dan Glokta

Registered
I'm planning for my upcoming build and I have a few questions.
Here is a link to my airflow conficguration: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=mv3tvk&s=9#.VpvFjlIrI64
It contains 2x 140mm front intake, 1x 120mm bottom intake, 2x 140mm top exhaust, 1x 140mm rear exhaust (And one more fan for my cpu cooler).
My question is, which of the two fans: NF-A14 iPPC 2000 pwm or Noctua NF-A14 PWM, would work for the best possible airflow configuration?
I heard that the ippc fans push LOTS of air, on the downside I hear they get loud above 1500 rpm.
Which of the two fans would give me good airflow to keep all my components nice and cool, I don' really care for aesthetics.
Will having all ippc fans in any way create too much airflow? (I know, stupid question).
BTW this will be my first build.

Thanks in advanced :)

Can you post the picture directly on the forum please?

The only difference with PWM is that you can control the speed better, otherwise the fans are the same.

I highly recommend those fans though, they're nothing short of amazing.

"Best" and "Loud" are relative. I haven't personally made the comparison, however AFAIK they have the same noise profile until you pass the standard variants max rpm's. IMO if you're already planning on getting an iPPC variant, you might as well get the 3000's as they're virtually the same price. If noise is a concern, and you don't plan to go above 1500 rpm's because of it, it doesn't make sense to me to get the iPPC's. If you want to tinker, and have the extra headroom, the extra rpm's come in handy. My rig does sound like a vacuum cleaner when it's running full bore though. In short, the best possible airflow will be had with fans that can move more air.... duh right? As far as too much airflow, well that comes back to noise levels I think. Your computer will appreciate as much air as you can move, your wallet and ears might not though.

yeah, the ippc-3000 rpm 140mm fans DO make a significant amount of noise.... that being said, if I feel like kicking the OCing up into high gear, the fan noise is not a problem. I have em tool'd down for normal use, but switch to a max fan profile for fun :D

yeah, the ippc-3000 rpm 140mm fans DO make a significant amount of noise.... that being said, if I feel like kicking the OCing up into high gear, the fan noise is not a problem. I have em tool'd down for normal use, but switch to a max fan profile for fun :D

Yeah...I think if you put 2 of the iPPC-3000 fans in the bottom of the case you could make it levitate like a hovercraft!

Haha. I have 12 of these fans! 2 140mm in the front 2in the rear 140mm and 8 120mm on the top. I haven't installed them yet because I'm still waiting on my other components but I'm sure my pc will be my new ac unit lol.

Haha. I have 12 of these fans! 2 140mm in the front 2in the rear 140mm and 8 120mm on the top. I haven't installed them yet because I'm still waiting on my other components but I'm sure my pc will be my new ac unit lol.

*Turns on PC, PC flies away* :D

Haha yeah that's probably what will happen. I'm excited to see how cool my room will be from them. Haha

Noctua now has 24-volt iPPC fans that can operate at 12V. That said, the NF-A14 PWM running on LNA is a pretty good case fan. I myself use two NF-A14 ULN fans.

In your diagram, you should make your forward top fan an intake. Otherwise, it will draw warm air from you MB into the face of your heatsink's push fan.

Also consider removing your rear "grill." Try leaving the fan off: your rig will be much quieter and the pull fan from your CPU's heatsink will exhaust the case for you. For a hilarious illustration of this, see here.

Have fun.

Back