• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S 2.0.. memory problems on power up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ProfessorApe

Hi,

First off, I'm not a hardware expert. I know what plugs into what and how to buy stuff that's compatible, however, I know little about overclocking and nothing about dual channel memory. I assumed all DDR memory/mobos were dual channel. Anyway, on to my problem.

I recently bought an NF7-S 2.0 off ebay to replace my Gigabyte GA-7DPWDW-P. I have three sticks of 512MB memory, two identical sticks (Dell (Micron) PC2100 2.5v registered memory were installed in my Gigabyte board (it wouldn't start up with all three sticks installed). The GB board was stated to support both registered and unbuffered RAM, but won't accept the unbuffered memory, so I had to buy registered, which worked find. I don't know if it was running dual channel or not. The third is unbuffered memory, 512 MB, PC2100 2.5v.

I swapped my motherboards out last night, installed everything (all 3 sticks of memory) and powered up.. I get one long beep that is continuous. According to the Beep Codes sticky, it means the RAM isn't installed properly, which it is, after re-installing it several times in every slot. I installed each module separately in each slot. The Micron memory causes the long beep, regardless what slot it's in. The machine will only start up with the unbuffered memory installed.

Currently, I have the Unbuffered and 1 Micron installed (slots 1+3). On bootup and in the BIOS it only shows 512MB of physical memory. I have installed CPU-Z and Sandra 2007, both show the 1024MB but state that it's running in single channel mode. Windows XP sp2 also states only 512MB of physical RAM present, even though 1GB is installed.

I don't know much about DDR RAM and dual channel except what I've read searching this forum and others, looking for information on this NF7-S memory issue.

Shouldn't all the memory show up even in single channel mode?
If memory is running in dual channel mode, is only half the memory available or all of it? Apparently this mobo rejects Micron memory, or at least the sticks I have. Is this a problem with the board, the BIOS (Phoenix Tech. 6.00 PG), or the memory?

I am confused and don't have the technical knowledge to understand the oc stuff like memory timings, changing voltages, relationship between cpu multiplier + fsb, and so on. I just want to plug it in, have all three (sticks work (can two run in dual channel mode and one in single? is that possible?) and it run stable. I am interested in speed and stability because I use this machine primarily for graphics/video/animation work and a little gaming.

Specs I know are:
Win XP sp2, all current hotfixes installed
Athlon MP 2400+
Abit NF7-S 2.0
BIOS Phoenix Tech 6.00 PG
DDR RAM:
1 stick Micron registered PC2100 512MB
1 stick unbuffered PC2100 512MB
nVidia Quadro 4 700 XGL
One Maxtor 200GB HD (bought new, only shows up as 115GB available??)
400w PSU

thanks,
Aaron

iirc nF2 chipset doesn't support registered RAM.

as for dual channel that comes down to how you configure the RAM but you only have 1 DIMM that's going to work in that board so will get single channel.

hey, thanks for the tip. it looks like i'll be buying more memory for this thing. Now I've got a matched pair of registered DDR RAM to unload.

I'd still like to know more about the DDR thing and how to tweak it for more speed. maybe later.

thanks again.

ProfessorApe said:
Hi,
If memory is running in dual channel mode, is only half the memory available or all of it?

all of it.

Also, I would suggest that you take Hipcrostino advice and get the 3200. I would recommend you get a nice 2GB set.

I'd still like to know more about the DDR thing and how to tweak it for more speed. maybe later.

Here was a guide posted by hibner a couple posts back
http://www.logan.eclipse.co.uk/abit_nf7_(s)_v2_0.htm

and another guide that I like
http://www.deep-powder.net/OC_Guide/Mem_Mobo_CPU_Overclocking_Guide.htm

Back