• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nForce Boards, yes or no?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yummipies

Registered
I' building a new rig and i'm switching over to AMD but i want to stick with Nvidia graphics. The only decent MoBo to do this with would be the NF980 (im refering to the MSI model because that's the one i would go with). My only problem is that this chipset isn't very future proof, loaded with sata2 slots and no sata3s, it doesn't have all the bells and whistels that the 890FX boards do, the FSB speed is quite lower than 890FX... therefore im looking for your thoughts on this NF980 chipset, is it still worth buying? is there a new nForce board set for release?(i couldnt find any info on this).

You can use Nvidia graphics on ATI chipset boards BTW, just not SLI without modded drivers.

BobNova said:
You can use Nvidia graphics on ATI chipset boards BTW, just not SLI without modded drivers.

I am planning on running a dual SLI, where can i find these drivers and is there a downside to using these drivers?

the FSB speed is quite lower than 890FX
I'm not sure what you're talking about here at all. AMD doesn't have a "FSB" and hasn't for 5-6 years now.

nForce chipsets don't usually have all the overclock features of AMD chipsets but I'm sure MSI publishes the board manual on-line - you might take a look at it. You're looking for cpuNB voltage and speed adjustment, mostly. That's what nForce and a lot of lesser AMD boards tend to leave off ...

Back